• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D3 vs the Tern?

I again assert that the Renegade is a good understable disc for your arm, and would be the 'longer Fury' that you seek.

Question: a certain website shows the Renegade traveling 420' and the Prodigy D3 traveling 440'. I don't expect to get those distance but is it common for a speed 11 disc to only travel 20' shorter than a speed 13 disc? The only thing I worry about with the Renegade is that it's currently only available in 169g where I'm ordering it from...although my Fury is 168g, I wonder if the 169g might be too heavy in a speed 11 disc for me.

Thanks again for all the help!

TripleB

Last edited:
Question: a certain website shows the Renegade traveling 420' and the Prodigy D3 traveling 440'. I don't expect to get those distance but is it common for a speed 11 disc to only travel 20' shorter than a speed 13 disc?

Thanks again for all the help!.

TripleB

You have to take ALL the numbers with a grain of salt. For example, the Renegade has the turn/fade numbers as -1.5/2.5, while DGC has it at -2,3. That 2.5 and 3 fades might apply to a very fresh out of the box Renegade, but after some use its not going to be that LSS at all.

I'm also wondering about the accuracy of those distance numbers. Maybe if Paul McBeth or Ricky Wysocki throws them, or others with very high armspeeds, but for the majority of casual DGers, that won't be the case.

As to weights, they are what they are. Try the 169g.

Question: a certain website shows the Renegade traveling 420' and the Prodigy D3 traveling 440'. I don't expect to get those distance but is it common for a speed 11 disc to only travel 20' shorter than a speed 13 disc? The only thing I worry about with the Renegade is that it's currently only available in 169g where I'm ordering it from...although my Fury is 168g, I wonder if the 169g might be too heavy in a speed 11 disc for me.

Thanks again for all the help!

TripleB

I actually threw a Renegade in the field vs. some other faster discs.... and I was blowing a Shryke and Katana WELL past the Renegade. I figure 50' or more. I can get a D3 out to 440' on a good rip. With the Renegade I'd be lucky to sniff 400'. The disc just doesn't have the "oomph" to go super far. I actually got the Breakout (speed 9) to fly about the same distance as a Renegade. Same (flippy) flight too.

I guess my point is, I see quite a bit of difference in distance from speed 11 to 13. I certainly throw Bosses further than Wraiths too. I throw Shrykes further than anything else Innova makes.

I like the Mvp Neutron Wave in the mid 150 weights. It flies similar to a Tern in the 300 to 350 max D catagory. Neutron might be too flexible for you but Proton is stiffer and might be just what you are looking for.

After a lot of time with all of my disc today, I would like to find a longer version (Trilogy or Prodigy) of my 168g Opto Fury...a little turn, a little fade, but lands dead straight to where I'm aiming!

So, is that the D3, D4, X4, Flow, Sheriff, or Renegade?

Based on just numbers I'd guess the D3, but as many of you have mentioned, numbers often lie!

Thanks!

TripleB
A Thrasher might work well for you. I have a BigZ one that will turn a fair amount but checks up at the end

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

After dozens and dozens and dozens of throws today comparing the following disc of mine: Beast DX Glow 162g (10, 5, -2, 2), Tern Star 158g (12, 6, -2, 2), Fury Opto 168g (9, 6, -2, 1), and Jade Opto 154g (9, 6, -2, 2)...I have determined the following:

The Tern is my most consistent disc out of the four. It's usually the longest, or right there at it, with the Jade a touch longer down wind. The flight of it typically allows it to end up where I'm aiming. At times all of the other three turned on me, at times turning into a roller half way through the flight or ending up way right (rhbh) of the intended target. I never had any of the disc head left on me except for the Jade when it got caught in a head wind a couple times. What seemed unusual was the Tern actually felt the heaviest to throw, although it was the second lightest.

Not sure if this helps determine which distance drivers I should be looking at (Renegade, D3, X4, Queen) or not.

TripleB

Seems that your understable discs might be too light if you're flipping them all the time. You might try some discs in the 170s. 150s discs are finicky and a pain in the ass to throw properly, especially in wind.

Based on speed and glide, its a no brainer that the Tern was your longest disc. Something like a Beast or a speed 9 driver will never keep up with a Tern.

If you really want to make things interesting, try a Bolt or a Nuke SS. They'll give the Tern a run for its money on distance. Both are pretty flippy too.

After dozens and dozens and dozens of throws today comparing the following disc of mine: Beast DX Glow 162g (10, 5, -2, 2), Tern Star 158g (12, 6, -2, 2), Fury Opto 168g (9, 6, -2, 1), and Jade Opto 154g (9, 6, -2, 2)...I have determined the following:

The Tern is my most consistent disc out of the four. It's usually the longest, or right there at it, with the Jade a touch longer down wind. The flight of it typically allows it to end up where I'm aiming. At times all of the other three turned on me, at times turning into a roller half way through the flight or ending up way right (rhbh) of the intended target. I never had any of the disc head left on me except for the Jade when it got caught in a head wind a couple times. What seemed unusual was the Tern actually felt the heaviest to throw, although it was the second lightest.

Not sure if this helps determine which distance drivers I should be looking at (Renegade, D3, X4, Queen) or not.

TripleB

First of all, if you were turning over discs a lot, you might have some wrist roll in your form.

Second, if you're throwing the Jade as far or farther than the Tern (especially a 158g Tern), that bespeaks other issues, such as getting the nose up, or perhaps you're at a point of diminishing returns as you go up the speed rating of your discs.

For me, I may not throw as far as DGCR superstars, but my Tern outdistances my Renegade, which outdistances my Fury, which outdistances (but not by all that much) my Leopard3. If you're getting inconsistent distance-to-speed ratios, that's something to understand and work out before getting more discs.

Also, the Tern is far less susceptible to flipping. The Renegade starts turning... and never stops.

I definitely agree that the Tern is less susceptible to flipping than many disc. Found out that today when I put it up against the Beast, Fury, and Jade....all flipped at some point except the Tern. It never flipped, but then again it never headed left (rhbh) on me either - a very consistent disc. Wish I liked the Star plastic, or any plastic from Innova other than DX.

Would love to find a "Tern" in Trilogy plastic!!!

TripleB

I definitely agree that the Tern is less susceptible to flipping than many disc. Found out that today when I put it up against the Beast, Fury, and Jade....all flipped at some point except the Tern. It never flipped, but then again it never headed left (rhbh) on me either - a very consistent disc. Wish I liked the Star plastic, or any plastic from Innova other than DX.

Would love to find a "Tern" in Trilogy plastic!!!

TripleB

Do you find pro plastic acceptable? The Tern comes in Pro plastic.

Do you find pro plastic acceptable? The Tern comes in Pro plastic.

I've only tried it with one disc, the Leopard, and that was like a month after I started playing disc golf. I like the fact that it's a bit stiffer than the Star but found it, compared to the DX Leopard, to be very overstable so I didn't stick with it long. The Star Tern really isn't a bad feel and I like the way it flies (without ever turning into a roller even with my less than good form), just wish I could find a Trilogy disc that behaved exactly like it because I've grown to love all of their plastics.

Thanks for the advice!

TripleB

You can stop now. There isn't one.

Well, let me ask this then:

Is there any disc, from any company, that flies like the Tern but is a better fit for larger hands?

I have pretty large hands and I'm not sure if it's the width of the rim or what but the Tern feels pretty small in my hand...it's almost as if my fingers are cramped trying to get a comfortable grip on the Tern.

I appreciate the input!

TripleB

Shryke/Destiny/Wave/Sword/

Of those Wave has been best for me as far as Tern flight with a deeper rim. Destiny is close too.

I'd say OP is once again trying to put too fine a point on it. Part of the game is trial and error, buy some discs and try them out. Or keep posting 'vs' threads so you can be befuddled by a dozen different recommendations.

I think the Sword is a really good suggestion.

I get not liking the Tern feel, especially if you have bigger hands. It has a very shallow rim and a weird little lip on the bottom edge. Makes it feel extra shallow and sharp to me.

Sword is a little narrower and a little deeper I'd say, and very neutral and glidey. It's not a 1:1 Tern, nothing is, but I think it would be a very doable move. What you give up in a little speed, you'll gain a bit of glide. Now I don't know if you'll get as much distance as a 150-class Tern, but it's still a very long, easy, and neutral flier.

I find the Shryke and Sheriff are both in that max-D class that the Tern tends to live in, and feel way better in my hands. But I don't think they are an exact flight comparison, just ballpark similar and bombers. I do think they tend to be more overstable, so I wouldn't go to those discs from a 150's Tern and expect similar things. I would look at Sword, then Trespass, then Sheriff in order of out-growing them. Keeping in mind that each of those molds overlaps the next in stability depending on the specific disc/plastic combo. The Sword feels a little deeper than a Trespass I think, which is why I am recommending to take a look at it.

You could go the Destiny/Queen/high speed flippy route, but I do think at lower arm speeds there is a point of diminishing returns and you can get a just as or nearly as far flight out of the speed 12'ish more neutral and glidey disc than 14 and flippy. Plus you won't outgrow the more neutral disc as fast. Only thing is you will get the occasional throw with the really high speed understable disc that gives you another 10-20', just I really don't think they are going to do that every time.

Last edited:
Yeah, a Sheriff in the softer plastics starts stable, but one could use it for that slot at first and let it slide down to Tern territory. I've seen a friend do it with a few Sheriffs. Not sure why I have not.