• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D3 vs the Tern?

Agree about the Destiny, it can be finicky, but it's a bomber. I gave it up because the rim was just too uncomfortably wide for my liking. The Bolt was okay for me, but kind of "meh". I should dig mine out and give it a few throws.

The Vulcan can be a great disc or a disappointment, depending how the one in your hand molded up.

As to the Sheriff, the Lucid ones (mine is a sparkle Lucid) are more overstable than the Fuzions. The Fuzions also wear in relatively quickly and can be really good bombers for the relatively noodle-armed throwers.

I traded for a couple Sheriffs. One lucid and one biofuzion. The biofuzion one is used and is one of the flippiest drivers I've ever thrown. Its unmanageable and just turns and rolls on every throw. Not even a hyzerflip will work with it.

The lucid is the opposite. I won't call it massively beefy, but it won't flex out like I want. It will go a long way, but isn't among my longest drivers.

Vulcans are super inconsistent. I've thrown good ones and terrible ones. Some can be really beefy and some can be super flippy.

I used to love the Destiny, but as I gained distance I found myself unable to throw it flat anymore. I basically gave up on it. Massive distance when you hit it right, but rollers if you torque even a bit too much.

Last edited:
I traded for a couple Sheriffs. One lucid and one biofuzion. The biofuzion one is used and is one of the flippiest drivers I've ever thrown. Its unmanageable and just turns and rolls on every throw. Not even a hyzerflip will work with it.

The lucid is the opposite. I won't call it massively beefy, but it won't flex out like I want. It will go a long way, but isn't among my longest drivers.

Vulcans are super inconsistent. I've thrown good ones and terrible ones. Some can be really beefy and some can be super flippy.

I used to love the Destiny, but as I gained distance I found myself unable to throw it flat anymore. I basically gave up on it. Massive distance when you hit it right, but rollers if you torque even a bit too much.

I'd bet if you throw that Lucid Sheriff enough and it starts seasoning in, it would mellow into a good flight for you. (I know, I know; you're in the Shryke camp now.). Anyhoo, for those of us with less armspeed that don't mind the rim width of Speed 13 discs, the Sheriff is a disc I'd recommend to try.

I'd bet if you throw that Lucid Sheriff enough and it starts seasoning in, it would mellow into a good flight for you. (I know, I know; you're in the Shryke camp now.). Anyhoo, for those of us with less armspeed that don't mind the rim width of Speed 13 discs, the Sheriff is a disc I'd recommend to try.

Oh, I know the lucid Sheriff is a monster. I just haven't really thrown it enough to super get used to it. Its definitely more stable than any Shryke I own.

Frankly I like the Ballista more than the Sheriff so far. I can just massacre a Ballista for huge yardage. Some high speed turn and a whole bunch of flex and glide.

Thanks for all the input and the great comparisons on the various discs....it is a tremendous help!

Sounds like the Sheriff (Fuzion because of it being slightly less stable than the Lucid) and the Trespass get a lot of love for their consistency. I really would love to stick with Trilogy, just because I love the feel of their plastics and I know what to expect out of them. That being said, I ordered a Star Leopard3 on a whim and really love the feel of it...and it is holding up well. My other Star discs haven't shown the best of durability...especially when compared with plastics like Lucid/VIP/Opto.

Again, I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond so far!

TripleB

You must play at some rough places if you find star discs to not be durable. That's some of the most durable plastic I've seen.

lucid/opto/VIP isn't overly durable either. If durability is a big concern for you, try Discraft Z or ESP. IMO those plastics are more durable than anything Innova or Dynamic makes.

Star may show nicks easier than Lucid, but I actually find it can hold flight characteristics for longer if there aren't any abnormal gouges. It's weird how it works sometimes.

Thanks for all the input and the great comparisons on the various discs....it is a tremendous help!

Sounds like the Sheriff (Fuzion because of it being slightly less stable than the Lucid) and the Trespass get a lot of love for their consistency. I really would love to stick with Trilogy, just because I love the feel of their plastics and I know what to expect out of them. That being said, I ordered a Star Leopard3 on a whim and really love the feel of it...and it is holding up well. My other Star discs haven't shown the best of durability...especially when compared with plastics like Lucid/VIP/Opto.

Again, I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond so far!

TripleB

You must play at some rough places if you find star discs to not be durable. That's some of the most durable plastic I've seen.

lucid/opto/VIP isn't overly durable either. If durability is a big concern for you, try Discraft Z or ESP. IMO those plastics are more durable than anything Innova or Dynamic makes.

Star may show nicks easier than Lucid, but I actually find it can hold flight characteristics for longer if there aren't any abnormal gouges. It's weird how it works sometimes.

I've found Star plastic to be more durable than Opto/Lucid/VIP for the most part, and not as quick to season in as the Trilogy plastics. There are occasional exceptions, of course, and usage plays a part. I don't play on volcanic rock fields, so my discs hold up fairly well. :)

Maybe it's because of all the trees I've hit with it, or the fact that about half of the holes on my home course have a large number of rocks, but the Star Tern I bought and the Star Sidewinder I was given, have both been eaten up pretty good.

TripleB

I'd recommend the Fuzion Sheriff. If you start overpowering it, then you can migrate to the Lucid Sheriff.

In a post that was discussing the Trespass plastic someone listed this info:

In order of stability: Hybrid>Fusion>Lucid>Biofusion

Is this correct?

TripleB

In a post that was discussing the Trespass plastic someone listed this info:

In order of stability: Hybrid>Fusion>Lucid>Biofusion

Is this correct?

TripleB

I've generally found the Lucid to be more OS than the Fuzion, and of course the Fuzion usually wears in more quickly.

I haven't had a lot of experience with Biofuzion, but it seems to be about the same as Fuzion, a bit less stable than Lucid. But it seems to wear in more slowly, like a Lucid. That's a limited sample size, of course. I dunno about the Hybrid...

I've generally found the Lucid to be more OS than the Fuzion, and of course the Fuzion usually wears in more quickly.

That's what I thought as well. I don't have any experience with the Fuzion, but do have a Gold Line River (I think that's the Lat 64 equivalent) that went to understable very quickly...much quicker than any of my Opto discs have!

I think I'm leaning towards to the Trespass: trying to decide whether to go with the 158g/159g Lucid Air, 166g/167g Fuzion, or 168g Lucid.

Thanks for all the input!

TripleB

need-a-straight-driver-why-not-swordberg.jpg

I ended up ordering a 166g Fuzion Trespass. I've only spent one day with it but so far it is showing me that my arm speed isn't high enough to get a straight flight out of this disc. The flight is always consistent and long, but it's finishing a good bit left of center (RHBH) every time.

That being said, on my home course, the flight it gives me is a tremendous help and is exactly what I'm needing off the tee box on three specific holes. So it's definitely staying in the bag and will be used every round, just not as a straight flying (if thrown flat) distance bomber. So in summary, it basically flies exactly as the numbers indicate it will :D

I'll stick the Tern back in the bag and keep working with it until I decide to give another long distance bomber a shot...Shryke, X4, Daedalus, D3, D4, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

TripleB

TripleB: have you tried a Sword? Seems like a good fit in between a Trespass which might be a little too much, and the Destiny/King type that may be too finicky. Could be that Goldilocks straight distance driver for you: not too OS, not too flippy; just right.

TripleB: have you tried a Sword? Seems like a good fit in between a Trespass which might be a little too much, and the Destiny/King type that may be too finicky. Could be that Goldilocks straight distance driver for you: not too OS, not too flippy; just right.

It may be! Do you know if they offer it in a weight under 170g? I'm having a hard time finding a lighter version from the places I typically order. And right now I don't have enough confidence in my arm speed to throw distance discs that heavy.

Thanks for the advice!!!

TripleB

It may be! Do you know if they offer it in a weight under 170g? I'm having a hard time finding a lighter version from the places I typically order. And right now I don't have enough confidence in my arm speed to throw distance discs that heavy.

Thanks for the advice!!!

TripleB

Yes, you can get them lighter than 170g, though the lighter ones I see most often are 168-169g, so I don't know how much lighter they go unless its something like VIP Air.

As for the confidence thing, it might help to tell yourself it's just a couple of paper clips. Go throw some paper clips around if you have to, just to see how comically light they are. If you're comfortable throwing discs around 167g, you should be fine with 170g.

I ended up ordering a 166g Fuzion Trespass. I've only spent one day with it but so far it is showing me that my arm speed isn't high enough to get a straight flight out of this disc. The flight is always consistent and long, but it's finishing a good bit left of center (RHBH) every time.

That's honestly not a bad thing. It's hard to find a disc that is both long and ends left, as the more left it goes the less distance it gets. Plus as the Trespass beats in, which shouldn't take forever in Fuzion, it'll straighten out. Better for a disc like that to start a tick overstable than too understable. Keep relying on it, see how it beats in, and you'll start to see more and more turn out of it. Also if you play with anyone who has 30'+ more power than you, hand it to them to see how it works for their arm speed to give you a preview of its flight characteristics as it will beat in.