• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy New M1

frasnow

Eagle Member
And people say Prodigy's disc naming scheme isn't confusing.

http://www.pdga.com/announcements/prodigy-new-m1

prodigy_newm1.jpg

Hmmm. I seem to recall the old M1 being decently OS. But then again, I'm no pro. Good on Prodigy for giving their players what they want. Tough market though...lots of really OS mids out there nowadays.

I have been waiting on this as their naming schema is very rigid, I don't expect this to be the last time we see this. I know this is marketing driven, but it puts me off. Call it an 'M1 Plus' and be done with it.
I want absolute values, not some relative numbering schema. Yeah, another reason for me to not buy their products.

Last edited:
Lol. Yea, ^ like you said, we were waiting on this. I have ZERO problems with their names, but this does get confusing.

Although no less so than Insanity, Inspire, Inertia, and Impulse.

Or Puma, Cheetah, Leopard, Jaguar, and Panther.

Or Hatchet, Mace, Maul, Sword, Scythe, Macana, and Dagger.

Etc...

Etc...

Lol. Yea, ^ like you said, we were waiting on this. I have ZERO problems with their names, but this does get confusing.

Although no less so than Insanity, Inspire, Inertia, and Impulse.

Or Puma, Cheetah, Leopard, Jaguar, and Panther.

Or Hatchet, Mace, Maul, Sword, Scythe, Macana, and Dagger.

Etc...

Etc...

Sorry, pal, I was waiting on it. Building schemas is part of my daily job. I did not know which disc it would be, but a brittle schema like that will always fail unless every variable is planned from the beginning and no plans are ever changed.
Prodigy built a grid seven columns wide. At least the rows are named and not numbered. With the numbering schema, if the column in the direction one would want to fill is already filled, the field must be emptied or a decimal column created.

This is good news, besides the name confusion. The existing M1 needed more separation from the M2.

Sorry, pal, I was waiting on it. Building schemas is part of my daily job. I did not know which disc it would be, but a brittle schema like that will always fail unless every variable is planned from the beginning and no plans are ever changed.
Prodigy built a grid seven columns wide. At least the rows are named and not numbered. With the numbering schema, if the column in the direction one would want to fill is already filled, the field must be emptied or a decimal column created.

how can you sleep at night because of the bad naming system?

Have you ever thought that flight numbers are just some made up numbers?

how can you sleep at night because of the bad naming system?

Have you ever thought that flight numbers are just some made up numbers?

Yeah, I still don't get what the fuss with Prodigy's names are. People have been complaining about this since day one, even though Lightning and Discmania were doing it long before.

So this means the current m1 will be OOP yes? Call me crazy, but I actually think the prodigy system is really smart, it makes perfect sense. The only problem is that they will need to keep releasing molds to stay competitive in the market, and they don't really have the flexibility for that. It will be interesting to see what they do with the scheme over the next couple of years

Prodigy should have done what programmers did in the 80s when you had to have line numbers in your computer programs: 10, 20, 30, etc. Then if you need to insert one or two in the middle it's no problem. ;)

M0? Something? Com'n... I love my M1s, but, I'm going to be a bit upset if I have to start checking patent numbers to check which mold I'm getting if I want to replace a current disc or try the new mold. Releasing a disc under the same name is just silly... However, I believe this is already the second time they've done this with their mids...

I love Prodigy. I throw almost exclusively Prodigy discs. But, this is just silly.

Last edited:
Prodigy should have done what programmers did in the 80s when you had to have line numbers in your computer programs: 10, 20, 30, etc. Then if you need to insert one or two in the middle it's no problem. ;)

Yup. That would have been a good idea

I never thought the M1 and M2 were all that different when I tried them aside from the M1 being a little shorter. Glad to see the Gator/Drone/etc class has another competitor.

Fact-all companies retool their discs through the evolution of a disc being "right" based on customer input and other variables.

Opinion-I like prodigy's naming system. It totally makes sense and is easy to understand what you are getting. Probably more accurate then Speed, glide, turn and fade system.

My 300 series M1 were stable at best. Re-mined me of slightly seasoned roc.

With the Mace and Verdict in my bag I can't justify dumping more money into prodigy plastic.

My two M1 are super grippy but suck in any kind of wind. I was really wondering what the prodigy dudes were using for over stable mids. I guess nothing up to this point.

I never thought the M1 and M2 were all that different when I tried them aside from the M1 being a little shorter. Glad to see the Gator/Drone/etc class has another competitor.

I totally agree! Don't get my wrong. I'm VERY excited to get a truly overstable mid from my favorite candy vendor. However, the naming system where they release a totally new disc and use an already present name? Just sloppy. They could come up with some modifier to differentiate between original M1 and the new mold.

Like I said, I really don't want to have to check patent numbers to see if I'm getting the new mold to try out or to replace an old mold that has broken too far.