• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter Advice

If you play with a group, ask them what they throw, and ask if you can see how it feels in your hand.....as stated before, it all comes down to what feels best in YOUR hand. Then there is also the issue of hard putter vs. soft putter, and again, what feels best in YOUR hand. Once you do find something that just feels right, get at least 3 of the same weight (or within 2-3 grams), and practice putting. A lot of the putting game is mental, and consistency, and confidence will go a long way once you find what works!
Since you were looking for a suggestion, I will say that if you do like softer putters, the Omega ss from Millenium is a good choice, and the rim is much more shallow than the Yeti. Also the Nova from Innova is REAL popular in my area, many players have switched over to it. The Omega I used for years and loved it, the Nova I have thrown a couple of times, but I don't throw harder putters, so I'm not the best judge for it.
Good luck on your search!

As many have said here - it is all about feel for a putting putter. Fondle as many as you can. Get one that feels right and grab multiples.

With that said, the one thing that stuck out to me is that you didn't like the deep rimmed aviar. I had a very similar start (started with a Nova, which is basically an extra deep aviar) and went on a quest for a shallow putter. I also prefer a slightly understable putting putter as it will hold straighter longer for long putts. This landed me with a vibram summit, which I love. Nice and shallow. Feels great in the hand. The rubber (I have a med) has a different texture that people either love or hate (I'm more towards the love side).

I also have chiefs, which are super shallow and flat. Love em for upshots / driving / flicks, not so much for putting.

the wizard is the GOAT putter, fits in the same vein as a roc and teebird.

call the gateway office and ask them to send you a flatter/shallower S or SS.

Make the road trip to a good store, it will actually save you time and probably money too. When I started, I had a limited selection locally so I started doing research online, looked up dimensions and flight paths. Then after a few online order disappointments (if I had actually felt the disc I never would have bought it) I made a road trip.

In the end, I chose the Yeti! Never would have ordered one on line because I didn't like P&A Aviars.

The road awaits! Do it! Now!

I say the good old MAGNET would be a good disc to try in this case

-Solid classic disc
-Cheap. In stores, online, and used bins.
-Shallower rim than your Yeti (a big bead aviar)
-Will remain in production, tons in the secondary market
-Factory stamp and disc name are super classy

Since you were looking for a suggestion, I will say that if you do like softer putters, the Omega ss from Millenium is a good choice, and the rim is much more shallow than the Yeti.

These. Both easy to find.

I putted with an Omega SS and gummy Rhyno for a long time, but I was never satisfied with my putting. The beginning of this year I decided I wanted a driving putter, and something new to putt with. I read lots of reviews, watched videos, finally decided on the Ion and ordered one from discgolfcenter. I really wanted to love it, but I didn't. It just didn't fit my hand like I wanted. About a month later, I was at a local shop and they had 2 used Envies. The moment I felt them in my hands I knew they were the one to get. My putting has never been better. Lesson learned, feel before you buy. The Envy has the same basic flight characteristics as the Ion, but so much better feel for me.

I would pick up something more neutral than a yeti. I wouldnt go too shallow a profile, although you think you will like that, you should get comfortable with the shape of a more traditional profile. I would suggest something basic that is easy to find to get comfortable with then decide which direction you want to take it.
For that I would just suggest an basic Aviar P&A, Magnet or similar. Once you feel comfortable with your putting style you can have an idea of whether you want more or less glide, deeper, shallower ect. Then would be a good time to come back here.
I do not usually suggest stable putter for people learning to putt. So no Wizard or other beaded putters.

just do what i did and try them all. you'll be changing putters continually because you're going to be changing how you putt continually until you find what works best for you. the more putters you have tried by that point, the better. it's fun to see how different plastics grab, how the depth of the putter influences how you need to putt, inner rim shape, flight patterns, etc. just have fun, learn and improve. eventually you'll realize the best putter for you. i think sticking with one putter is counterproductive unless you're at a level of reasonable proficiency.

of the ones you listed, the discs i stuck with for at least a little bit include the judge, the wizard, the SOFT PROTON anode, hated the mediums, the pa4 and the pure. pure was the last putter i used before i realized i just couldn't do shallow putters. i putt with a lot of fingertip action and i need a deep dish putter to help get the timing of fingerspring right and keep the disc nestled safely in my palm until ejection point. too shallow and it's very easy for me to push early, lift it off my palm and let go left, assuming RHBH.

I've got an idea of how "my" putting form is. I checked out tons of putting videos and after watching the Feldberg Push Putting video I opted to try it out. After two hours of nothing except putting I have a putting form that I'm comfortable with, and it's essentially a push/spin putt combo. A very very controlled spin putt.

I play with my right foot 10-15 degrees to the left of the basket line, and my left foot probably 30-40 degrees to the left of the basket. I draw my putter back not between my legs, but on the same line as my right front leg and I pull my left leg back probably a foot off the ground before putting with my right hand.

Because I'm taller my timing between leg and arm motion is a little off so I have to compensate by moving the leg first and then putting. I was making 20-30 ft. putts today (not consistently of course) and I was excited. If I could spin putt and hold a straighter line longer then I'd love it.

Find a cheap putter, buy a stack. The only way to get good at putting is to practice. If you don't like deep rims, I recommend the pure (i prefer zero medium plastic).

There is nothing wrong with preferring the feel of a midrange in hand. However, for shorter and straighter shots a putter is a really excellent choice. The better and more experienced you become at throwing putters, the better your disc skill will be in general. So yeah I recommend buying some base plastic putters and getting a ton of experience throwing them. The brand doesn't matter, pick your poison. From my experience I'd recommend a Magnet, Focus, Challenger, any kind of Aviar, R-Pro Dart, P1, P2, Magic, Voodoo, Warlock, Wizard, Warden, Judge, Pure, Mercy, Swan, Shield, Anode, Ion, PA4, PA3, PA2, PA1, etc., etc., etc. You will find they are all equal in quality all with a little different look, shape, feel, stability, etc. and you will probably eventually develop a preference. All of them are also obviously great in premium plastic but I like base plastic putters so obviously I recommend trying them first. My preference is a D Focus for some shots, and a D Magnet for some other shots.

Go to a store and feel them in your hand. Choose one that feels the most comfortable. I made the mistake of buying over 15 putters online without feeling them first. :doh:

Vibram Summit is very shallow rimmed and understable. Dead straight on powered down approaches too. It won't beat in for years, so the initial price is more than fair. The only putter you won't cringe with when it hits a tree.

As others have said, Lat 64 Spike and Pure are good choices. Opto Pure is a great driving putter.

I've held the PA4 and liked the way it felt in my hand. I didn't try it out, but it would seem to fit what you're asking for.

You could also try Innova's XD. It's a putter/mid tweener (the Spike is too) with a shallow rim that will fly and putt straight. Easy to get. Not expensive and you'll probably keep it in the bag even if you end up with another putter. It's a great mold that's been around for decades for a good reason.

Good Luck!

If you want understable, I'd go with summit or pa4. They are shallow but IMO the rounded rim helps whereas I just never could jive with the pure's outer rim shape.

I would also, upon revisiting the mold just today myself, highly recommend a mercy. Neutral, not too deep and not too shallow. Good rounded edge, good glide.

By the way... buy a lot of putters and never get rid of any of them. You'll continually develop your style and different putters may work better. I have nearly all of them.