• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Drives - Form Tips -

kachtz

Birdie Member
I wanted to put a video online of normal distance lines, and do some slow motion etc, so that maybe the people that are having a hard time with getting more D, maybe they could benefit from looking at a drive....but then i thought about it, and decided it would do no one any good to throw a highspeed understable driver hard, and expect to translate it to their throw...

so...i thought i would do a drive technique video with a putter.

the video is only 1 minute long, i am hoping that people who are struggling with certain parts of their Drives can benefit from this video. and the more experienced people with good technique and the correct terminology can add some info.

9 throws
4 mph wind
90% power
372'-414'

KC Pro Aviar
SS Wizard

video is processing for 720HD

Last edited:
Can't wait to get home and check this out. :thmbup:

I ran out of time earlier.

I wanted to also point out the first part of the video (first 7 seconds) where the video is still.

the most important things that are happening in that part of the throw, this is where i watch people struggle with time and time again.

first - notice how my hand is in line with my elbow from my shoulder, everything from your index finger all the way to your shoulder should be in a straight line... a lot of players tend to get their elbow low, and kind of whip there hand around their lower body... your hand should be higher than your shoulder in the follow through, the people who "strong arm" and do early releases all have a follow through, where their hand is below their shoulder on the follow though.

2nd - notice the angle of my feet, in relation to where i am aiming. i am aiming about where that little white sign is you can see in the distance, my feet are aligned up way to the left of that, because if you want to get full extension in your throw, your feet will be setup like this, if you kind of follow tee pads and throw in line with the teepad, you are automatically going to force yourself to either release early, or pull with your arm low, or "grip lock" and throw way right..

3rd - i want you to notice my weight is always center to myself, meaning i am not leaning forward or backward, until the moment of the snap, then my weight goes forward, not forward in the direction of the disc, but forward in the direction of my run up, which is very important, otherwise you will find yourself leaning backwards when you throw, and that will make you throw nose up and various other things.

those are the 3 things i wanted to really get across, your approach, how many hands you have on the disc, and your reach back are minimal importance...

focus on getting the full extension, get away from a teepad when you practice, you need to let your feet be natural, you will find that your feet will align way left of where your disc will actually end up being.

if any of this is confusing let me know i will try better to explain.

Good video. I pull really low and think that might be a lot of my problem. I will try to give more of how you are throwing a try.

Kachtz has that high reach back which forces his shoulders to be on an angled plane for a hyzer release..... necessary for him or he'd flip and roll everything he put in his hands. It also helps keeping your shoulders high.

For slower arm speeds, that hyzer release on a wizard isn't necessary i.e., your reachback doesn't have to be higher than your shoulder as long as you can maintain the proper shoulder-forearm-wrist throwing plane. Another trick i learned to help this is trying to keep your chin touching your throwing arm shoulder throughout your pull through and hit.

Last edited:
first - notice how my hand is in line with my elbow from my shoulder, everything from your index finger all the way to your shoulder should be in a straight line... a lot of players tend to get their elbow low, and kind of whip there hand around their lower body... your hand should be higher than your shoulder in the follow through, the people who "strong arm" and do early releases all have a follow through, where their hand is below their shoulder on the follow though.

This is what I mean by keeping your shoulder, forearm, elbow and wrist in proper throwing plane. Kachtz got it right.

Sidewinder22 is the man to ask to learn more.

Good God. If I could throw a putter 4 bills I would save a lot of money in buying discs!
Thanks for the video, bud.
Very helpful.

Good God. If I could throw a putter 4 bills I would save a lot of money in buying discs!
Thanks for the video, bud.
Very helpful.

lol I know, right? I would have a bag full of Ions and a Magic for putting.

I say boy, there's a good bit of oat in your throw, but it works well for your distance shot. Maybe not so good for a golf shot. Its mostly planar oat from run-up, reachback, and arm finishing a little low. This causes the the disc to flip more. If you run-up from the left to right, reachback toward your right more and finish arm higher it would be interesting to see. Bet it would be a much straighter flight although it may throw your timing off so you might not get the same torque or distance.

You are right about the elbow and hand being on plane with the shoulder which is where many people struggle, and is an important thing to focus on. Climo points out that if your elbow is on plane with the shoulders it reduces a myriad of mistakes. I think many people don't angle their shoulders to the throw and try to change all the angle with elbow or wrist height which causes other problems. Reachback height kind of depends on the shot.

I say boy, there's a good bit of oat in your throw, but it works well for your distance shot. Maybe not so good for a golf shot. Its mostly planar oat from run-up, reachback, and arm finishing a little low. This causes the the disc to flip more. If you run-up from the left to right, reachback toward your right more and finish arm higher it would be interesting to see. Bet it would be a much straighter flight although it may throw your timing off so you might not get the same torque or distance.

You are right about the elbow and hand being on plane with the shoulder which is where many people struggle, and is an important thing to focus on. Climo points out that if your elbow is on plane with the shoulders it reduces a myriad of mistakes. I think many people don't angle their shoulders to the throw and try to change all the angle with elbow or wrist height which causes other problems. Reachback height kind of depends on the shot.

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but there's definitely some oat here. To throw a putter that far and perfectly straight would be a feat, but your throw here was basically a big ole turnover. You've obviously got power to spare (wish I could buy some from ya, lol), but you might be better off tightening up your technique. One thing I noticed was that your reachback is a little inconsistent. You go from very high to really low and then to more or less level. From where you start the pull (very low), in order to have a consistent and straight pull, you would have to finish high, like SW said.

You guys are crazy...he is showing you every thing that this disc has got. Sure you can't do that same release and line with a Firebird, but this is how you get everything out of any uber understable disc. i.e. most putters, lids, ultrastars, 40 molds etc. Notice his is not snapping the disc, but he is turning massive rotation with a release (not a snap). He's hyzering the crap out of an elevated shot, it stands up flat, has moved beyond the stability of the disc without blowing up, begins to glide right and flat until it finishes it's flight. I described this throw in detail on a similar thread before he ever posted the video. In Ultimate we call this a huck.

Killer rip man. Smart form.

You guys are crazy...he is showing you every thing that this disc has got. Sure you can't do that same release and line with a Firebird, but this is how you get everything out of any uber understable disc. i.e. most putters, lids, ultrastars, 40 molds etc. Notice his is not snapping the disc, but he is turning massive rotation with a release (not a snap). He's hyzering the crap out of an elevated shot, it stands up flat, has moved beyond the stability of the disc without blowing up, begins to glide right and flat until it finishes it's flight. I described this throw in detail on a similar thread before he ever posted the video. In Ultimate we call this a huck.

Killer rip man. Smart form.

:rolleyes:

that amount of hyzer, and that amount of turnover, on a wizard is insane. even if it is 400'

also, you seem to have some terms mixed up. You never release a disc, it rips out of your hand. I'm not sure what you think snap means

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but there's definitely some oat here. To throw a putter that far and perfectly straight would be a feat, but your throw here was basically a big ole turnover. You've obviously got power to spare (wish I could buy some from ya, lol), but you might be better off tightening up your technique. One thing I noticed was that your reachback is a little inconsistent. You go from very high to really low and then to more or less level. From where you start the pull (very low), in order to have a consistent and straight pull, you would have to finish high, like SW said.

congratulations on both being wrong!

it might be hard to understand, but when that much pressure is put onto that wide rim, the disc will take a few rotations to settle down, and get round again, if i throw a putter with a lot of "OAT" as you call it, it doesnt go much past 310' no matter how hard i throw it or what angle i start it.

I am throwing the disc as a stable driver, not as a putter.

congratulations on both being wrong!

it might be hard to understand, but when that much pressure is put onto that wide rim, the disc will take a few rotations to settle down, and get round again, if i throw a putter with a lot of "OAT" as you call it, it doesnt go much past 310' no matter how hard i throw it or what angle i start it.

I am throwing the disc as a stable driver, not as a putter.

I say boy, you don't seem to be understanding the general gist of what I'm trying to convey here. I'm not necessarily talking about bad oat. Your planes are out whack, except for the most important part of the throw. The way you throw may be great for a distance shot like that, but it will be an inconsistent golf shot because your shot is not pure. The shoulders are hyzer, but the run-up angle and reach back are putting touches of anny to the shot. The arm on the follow through also finishes relatively low to the shoulders. I'm not saying you will throw further pure, but it will be a more accurate golf shot.

This is pure hyzer:

I think a lot are trying to convey to very different things. The video shows a heck of a chuck with a aviar and wizard, and he is purely chucking for distance. I'm sure if he was throwing for accuracy he cold basically walk through his x-step and put that putter on a line right where he wants it out to 350. I'll have to post a video with my crappy camera, but i can hit 300 on a dime with my big beads perfectly straight with a slow walk through step, no line shaping just straight floater, but I'm throwing for big d I'm throwing a torqued turnover hyzer flip, I'm just hoping fades back at the end for some extra gliding d I max out at about 360 doing that with a putter, so not in the same ball park, but not horrible for a putter. Heck if i'm trying to throw 400+ consistently I'm throwing a wahoo, but stop me on a course and the wahoo is in my trunk way too inconsistent and prone to fade of right its entire flight to trust my scores to. Golf lines and max d lines are very different. Heck you could throw a Teebird 300 and have a great approach/putting game and kill someone throwing 425 but turning and burning 100 feet from the basket. Take the video for what it is some sweet putter d, don't make it a tutorial for the most accurate drive ever.

i wish i had videos of me pumpin my sh*t, you are "impressive"...psych

I will say that sometimes we get a bit dogmatic about perfect form and ignore results. Kind of crazy when you think about how most of us could only dream of throwing our drives as far as that putter just went.

The thing is, I think a lot of the big distance lines use at least a little OAT. What is important IMO, is being able to throw clean when you need to and not so much when going for that distance line.