• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Drives - Form Tips -

I'm specifically referring to how you release a wide rim lid. You can't rip it...snap it. The throw will blow up and burn. When you say that you never release a disc you are talking about newer style golf discs. Go out and rip a 40 mold or even Ultrastar for that matter. :popcorn:

:rolleyes:

that amount of hyzer, and that amount of turnover, on a wizard is insane. even if it is 400'

also, you seem to have some terms mixed up. You never release a disc, it rips out of your hand. I'm not sure what you think snap means

Sorry ...forgot to mention also. in the post you are referring to I qualified that even putters ie aviars wizards etc can handle rip/snap.

To me, your throw looks so wrong in so many aspects. But then again, I can not argue with the results ^^ So this leaves me very puzzeled.

Thanks for uploading, and for giving me stuff to think about :)

edit : to be more concrete on things that look odd to me... : 1 : you start your swing waaaaay high above your shoulder. 2 : You grab your disc with the left hand shortly on your back swing. 3 : It looks to me as if your swing starts about one full step too late.

As I said, these are the things that seem odd to me. You throw way further than I do, so I am not critisizing, just expressing what leaves me puzzeled.

To me, your throw looks so wrong in so many aspects. But then again, I can not argue with the results ^^ So this leaves me very puzzeled.

Thanks for uploading, and for giving me stuff to think about :)

edit : to be more concrete on things that look odd to me... : 1 : you start your swing waaaaay high above your shoulder. 2 : You grab your disc with the left hand shortly on your back swing. 3 : It looks to me as if your swing starts about one full step too late.
I agree that 1 and 2 are happening, but as he pointed out in his other post, the important stuff all happens at the end. I'm not sure what you mean by 3. I don't see it.

The farther away you get from the hit the more variation you tend to see. Because the end of his throw is so great it doesn't matter if he's doing strange stuff on his reach back. We recommend the stuff we do because it makes getting the feel for the hit easier. He doesn't need that so he doesn't need to follow that advice to throw far. If I were him I'd start looking at all of the little, non important stuff like this that might help gain a little bit of power. If I were anyone else, I'd say to look at all the stuff the big arms have in common and ignore the stuff they do differently.

I do see a tiny bit of controlled OAT, but that's just to get the disc turned over like that. If he didn't do that he'd be getting 350'+ straight shots rather than ~400' turnovers. The hit is really clean, it has to be to get a putter that far.

I'm specifically referring to how you release a wide rim lid. You can't rip it...snap it. The throw will blow up and burn. When you say that you never release a disc you are talking about newer style golf discs. Go out and rip a 40 mold or even Ultrastar for that matter. :popcorn:

I have never thrown a 40 mold, but I use a power grip for my ultra star on super long throws

Because the end of his throw is so great it doesn't matter if he's doing strange stuff on his reach back.

As a disc golfer who is looking to improve on distance this year, this^^^ is exactly what I was thinking after watching the video several times.

Thanks for posting the video kachtz! :thmbup:

Fact of the matter is, you have quite a bit of OAT on your throw. I've been saying this from day one that you posted a video. A Wizard and a KC Aviar should NOT turn over that hard at 400'. I've thrown my wizards straight as an arrow 350'. In fact, only my flippy 2 year old wizard turns over at power. Put it on about a 30 degree hyzer and let it flip up and S at height. Hits about 350 tops on flat ground.

Watch the putters that Mike C throws
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22172

I don't think he flips a wizard over as much as you at any point in his videos

kachtz, not tryin to dog you man - I have total respect for the fact that you can throw a putter 400' - but I wouldn't be posting form tips IMHO. Your form isn't "good" it just gets results, and those don't always coincide.

Phillip Rivers is the hardest QB to watch in the NFL cuz his form is ugly, but he still starts for a decent team.

Your form is mostly arm, and if that works for you fine, but it will only work for the portion of people that can generate that power with the arm. Your body mechanics are not very efficient.

Also, the fact of the matter is - the line you threw that putter on is almost never going to come into play on a golf course. That line is either a driver shot on a wide open bomber hole, or hitting the first tree on a controlled accurate hole (where people typically use putters).

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is that the OP specifically said he was posting what he does to throw distance lines with putters. He never claimed it's good advice for a tunnel shot, I doubt he would use that technique for those either.

One thing to keep in mind is that the OP specifically said he was posting what he does to throw distance lines with putters. He never claimed it's good advice for a tunnel shot, I doubt he would use that technique for those either.

That's what I was thinking also.

I like the vid, I just wish that it was zoomed in a little close on katchz's chest cuz that's where the magic is happening and that's the part he is definitely getting right for the most part (like what garu was saying).

A slomo from the side with a closer view would be really helpful too I think.

Your form isn't "good" it just gets results, and those don't always coincide.

I'm not sure you went on to read the tips, or if you just don't understand them yet. He has a weird looking reach back but he is explaining a few important things that people who "don't get it naturally" often struggle with.

first - notice how my hand is in line with my elbow from my shoulder, everything from your index finger all the way to your shoulder should be in a straight line...

2nd - notice the angle of my feet, in relation to where i am aiming...if you want to get full extension in your throw, your feet will be setup like this, if you kind of follow tee pads and throw in line with the teepad, you are automatically going to force yourself to either release early, or pull with your arm low, or "grip lock" and throw way right..

3rd - i want you to notice my weight is always center to myself...

...those are the 3 things i wanted to really get across...

focus on getting the full extension, get away from a teepad when you practice, you need to let your feet be natural, you will find that your feet will align way left of where your disc will actually end up being.

These are all very important and reasonably well demonstrated here. I will note that the angle his feet are lined up relative to his target is exaggerated because he's throwing a turnover shot. For me it's more like 12-15 degrees on a straight rip whereas he is more like 45 degrees and the disc comes out at 25 and then turns right the rest of the way in the air.

Not getting full extension is what prevents the masses from hitting it. Not getting weight forward causes nose up which is also a huge problem for most people. #1 is a little less important but it does allow you to really use your triceps and back muscles more efficiently during the out motion.

I say fellas, thats all I've been sayin'. That's a good distance shot, but not a golf shot. I wouldn't recommend noobs try to learn a distance shot until they have a good golf shot.

I say fellas, thats all I've been sayin'. That's a good distance shot, but not a golf shot. I wouldn't recommend noobs try to learn a distance shot until they have a good golf shot.

I don't know. If you learn the golf shot first and then learn distance, to me it seems your golf shot might have to change a bit and you are probably throwing wild as the old control techniques no longer work.

What I should say is; this is not so much about distance lines that I am referring to but rather that part past chest where he is "hitting it". Thats the hard part.

Last edited:
Now looka here son, its basically the same form and distance lines these guys are throwing with a little more oat. Katchz did explain what he is doing better and probably out throws them all except maybe Robbie. I do think oat is necessary to get those lines and to get that massive leverage, but I think its a slippery slope to learn this before you have clean golf distance. I think it would be more frustrating to learn distance lines first, and then go backwards to learn clean snap which is what you need more often on the course. I'm all for learning to throw as far as you can on golf lines first and then work your way in (or out to distance lines) because if you are not throwing your max golf line your aiming will likely change. But golf vs distance lines are a different animal.

The line itself really isn't the point. He's emphasizing some principles which apply to all throws. Yea it appears there is a little wobble from a wonky disc pivot but it's pretty minor. The wobble is bleeding off with enough spin and speed left to keep the disc gliding and penetrating forward the whole flight.

His 3 main points: get good extension, stay centered with controlled balance until the hit, and try to keep your arm on plane, are all valid points and he's displaying them here.

Are you people kidding me? He threw a putter over 400'. If that's what OAT does, let me have it.

seriously, who of you can out throw him? if you can, feel free to criticize his distance lines. if not, gtfo.

I say boy, I agree they are valid points if you read my posts. I'm just pointing out the differences and practicality because its hard to see what he actually does right for golf lines.

Last edited:

Latest posts