• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Drives - Form Tips -

There's some things I'm still not getting about this putter throw and video. The consensus seems to be and the OP indicated he was trying to throw a turnover for max D, but why is this exactly? To get maximum D for any disc, don't you want a nice big S-curve? Maybe that's what he was trying for but it just didn't come back to the left. Last but not least, isn't the whole point of driving putters to clean up your form and try to throw super clean?? What am I missing?

It probably isn't practical, but honestly, are full on distance throws ever practical? not really, that's why you almost never see 360 drives from tee pads.

There's some things I'm still not getting about this putter throw and video. The consensus seems to be and the OP indicated he was trying to throw a turnover for max D, but why is this exactly? To get maximum D for any disc, don't you want a nice big S-curve? Maybe that's what he was trying for but it just didn't come back to the left. Last but not least, isn't the whole point of driving putters to clean up your form and try to throw super clean?? What am I missing?

I'm not sure if by S-curve you mean flex shots, like shots that start out anhyzer and then flex back, but that isn't the rule for distance throws. Personally I prefer hyzer flips for distance, as do several big distance throwers (particularly Beato)

You people need to stop looking at this in the wrong light and try implementing the techniques. He is helping you understand the hit, where it's located, how you aim once you're hitting it, etc...

You're thinking of strategy or something, he's explaining raw power.

A putter is definitely not going to fade back that far, son. On distance lines you want to get the disc to finish straight or slightly right so it keeps going against the fade instead of dropping. This doesn't matter if its a hyzer-flip or flex because they both fade out the same direction.

maybe it was my fault, and i did not explain it well enough in the first post.

but what i was trying to show was the throw it self....if i could do a throw without a disc i would, but i chose a putter, this is not a distance line, it is not a throw with the intent of any kind of shape or whatever....it was just a video that i wanted people who are struggling with their drives to maybe pick up something from it.

i did not want to throw a boss/nuke/surge/destroyer/katana or any one of the 100 other drivers because everyone has a different power range....so i used a putter, because it is universal, and the putter is new, it is not broken in, it does not go right as much as it looks in the video, the cam was not on a tripod, and the little circle i animated is kind of all over while the disc is in the sky so dont pay it no mind.

and the more experienced people with good technique and the correct terminology can add some info.

I say boy, he asked for added info. If any of my info was incorrect, please let me know. The most evident part of the vid to me was the oat and the line. Its obvious he's doing a lot right where it matters as he already pointed out and as I said before.

Katchz...I appreciate what you do. In jest, I haven't see you throw a clean golf line and that's what I want to see from you. I'm just trying to help you with that part, I don't think I can help you throw any farther. I was one that never doubted your distance from your first DGCR post. ;)

maybe it was my fault, and i did not explain it well enough in the first post.

but what i was trying to show was the throw it self....if i could do a throw without a disc i would, but i chose a putter, this is not a distance line, it is not a throw with the intent of any kind of shape or whatever....it was just a video that i wanted people who are struggling with their drives to maybe pick up something from it.

i did not want to throw a boss/nuke/surge/destroyer/katana or any one of the 100 other drivers because everyone has a different power range....so i used a putter, because it is universal, and the putter is new, it is not broken in, it does not go right as much as it looks in the video, the cam was not on a tripod, and the little circle i animated is kind of all over while the disc is in the sky so dont pay it no mind.

It seems like a distance line to me. What other type of throw goes ~45' high and tracks left-to-right for the majority of its flight when thrown hyzer rhbh? Golf lines generally have a lower ceiling and more defined direction, but you wouldn't be breaking 400' with a putter on a low straight line.

You people need to stop looking at this in the wrong light and try implementing the techniques. He is helping you understand the hit, where it's located, how you aim once you're hitting it, etc...

You're thinking of strategy or something, he's explaining raw power.

Thats how I took it. The hit is very elusive until you finally find it; which I am told, once you get it, you got it.

I think a lot of us do obsess over the perfect form because that's probably our best chance of hitting it, but this throw of the OP to me makes it a lot easier to see; form forsake or not.

I say boy, I agree they are valid points if you read my posts. I'm just pointing out the differences and practicality because its hard to see what he actually does right for golf lines.

You were about the only one who gave some constructive criticism. Even in the video of Nikko throwing pure hyzer, all the points Kachtz brings up are still there. Even though Nikko appears to take a left to right run up, at the end he still plants his feet aimed left of his target and rips that hyzer 20 degrees right, he gets great extension, and he's balanced. Kachtz's planes aren't that outta whack.

It seems like a distance line to me. What other type of throw goes ~45' high and tracks left-to-right for the majority of its flight when thrown hyzer rhbh? Golf lines generally have a lower ceiling and more defined direction, but you wouldn't be breaking 400' with a putter on a low straight line.

its a putter....it is going to lift if any air gets under it, if i would of thrown it 50% power with the same line, it would of been less than half that height and went only about 260'

yesterday was my 1 year of DG! playing that is.

but i think im done posting on this forum, i dont want my bad form screwing up peoples throw...i will use the site to look up DG courses, look out for upcoming tournaments and check my PMs now and again.

glad i met a lot of you people! you guys have been helpful!
and i met a few people that i can throw rounds with also!
going to try to get that record this year in LVegas if i can get a disc to catch the wind right...i want 900!

Kachtz
:thmbup::thmbup:

but i think im done posting on this forum, i dont want my bad form screwing up peoples throw...i will use the site to look up DG courses, look out for upcoming tournaments and check my PMs now and again.
It isn't your fault people are focusing on the wrong stuff. I think that video and your explanation does an excellent job of showing what's important. In fact, the stuff about the foot work and seeing it exaggerated has helped me realize a bit about the throw that has been eluding me for a while. I don't think that anything you did on the video was wrong, it's just not the line that most people want to throw. Pointing out what makes it more of a "distance" type throw (mostly minor body position things, all the important stuff is still the same) just helps illustrate what people should look for as opposed to what they do look for right now.

My understanding is that while we call that a "distance" line now, it was probably a lot more common 15 years or so ago. That was the only way to get a disc to go that far, so it was called a "drive." IIRC, there's a video of Avery Jenkins hitting a ace with a really similar line using a KC Pro Aviar. He seems to think it's a predictable and useful enough line.

The fact that people rag on you for your reach back and body position, but that you can throw a putter 400' is a great illustration of how people focus on the wrong stuff. It's all about the hammer pound. That's the secret to throwing far. It's not about reachback, it's not about the x-step, it's not about the line your throw. It's all about the hammer pound. All that other stuff will help make incremental improvements, but throwing really far is all about the hammer pound.

I also really like that it's a putter you're throwing and that you're emphasizing that you'd do the same thing with most other discs. All the important stuff you pointed out applies to driving all discs. Now people won't get hung up on your disc selection. They just happen to be getting hung up on other stuff instead. ;) I don't want you to get discouraged, it's a step in the right direction.

What would be really interesting is to see that exact same video, but with you throwing a putter shot that doesn't turn over like that. It flips to flat and stays that way. You'll probably get like 50' less distance, but it would be cool to show what changes and what doesn't. Spoiler alert, most of the important stuff he pointed out either won't change or will be less exaggerated.

A distance line is one where the disc is turned over, either from being thrown on an anhyzer or being flipped from a hyzer and then "fades" forward. If it comes back left you didn't get the most out of the disc.

I eluded to this in my last post, but what he threw really isn't that unpredictable of a line with a putter if you can throw clean and control OAT. You just don't see it that often because disc technology has gotten to a point where there are even more predictable ways to get out that far.

Yeah kachtz. Don't stop posting. I have watched a ton of videos of people throwing and none of them gave me near the ideas as yours. Something about how you throw lets me see different points really well, like your feet and where the disc is coming across your chest.

Hell; I didn't pay much attention to the stuff other than that, except for the circle being drawn to follow the disc and me going "Wow! Thats is staying up there for a long time."

I eluded to this in my last post, but what he threw really isn't that unpredictable of a line with a putter if you can throw clean and control OAT. You just don't see it that often because disc technology has gotten to a point where there are even more predictable ways to get out that far.

Mmmhmmm. And when called upon to throw a big ass turnover or anhyzer that holds to the ground, you're probably going to be reaching for the slowest disc you can possibly get there because they are easier to control on those long smooth curves. This is a mandatory shot for the bag if you don't have a good forehand.

Since Kachtz' first post a year ago, the over-reaction has been coming from the dgcr critics. "Throw a normal golf line" is the common response.

For what it's worth, I do play DG with kachtz every other weekend or so. The dude can throw 'golf lines' with every style disc better than just about everybody i've played with. His putting has come a long way in the year he has been playing and is starting to be just as impressive as his driving ability. I keep trying to convince him to play more tournies and get a PDGA membership because he has the ability to compete successfully and climb the leaderboards. While he does enjoy competition, he thrives for setting new records. Every time i talk about Hawk Hollow, he says he's gonna set the new course record next round. Same thing with the Big D competition. I honestly will not be suprised when he does. It's only a matter of time.

its a putter....it is going to lift if any air gets under it, if i would of thrown it 50% power with the same line, it would of been less than half that height and went only about 260'

yesterday was my 1 year of DG! playing that is.

glad i met a lot of you people! you guys have been helpful!
and i met a few people that i can throw rounds with also!
going to try to get that record this year in LVegas if i can get a disc to catch the wind right...i want 900!

Kachtz
:thmbup::thmbup:

So..what, I pushed you over the edge because I said your shot was on a distance line? I'm not saying that it's unpredictable, bad, or whatever other negative implication that you seem to attribute to "distance line." However, I find it a bit childish, especially for a military-man, to get so upset over a simple discussion about flying discs. But, hey, do what you wanna do.

Last edited:
It isn't your fault people are focusing on the wrong stuff. I think that video and your explanation does an excellent job of showing what's important. In fact, the stuff about the foot work and seeing it exaggerated has helped me realize a bit about the throw that has been eluding me for a while. I don't think that anything you did on the video was wrong, it's just not the line that most people want to throw. Pointing out what makes it more of a "distance" type throw (mostly minor body position things, all the important stuff is still the same) just helps illustrate what people should look for as opposed to what they do look for right now.

My understanding is that while we call that a "distance" line now, it was probably a lot more common 15 years or so ago. That was the only way to get a disc to go that far, so it was called a "drive." IIRC, there's a video of Avery Jenkins hitting a ace with a really similar line using a KC Pro Aviar. He seems to think it's a predictable and useful enough line.

The fact that people rag on you for your reach back and body position, but that you can throw a putter 400' is a great illustration of how people focus on the wrong stuff. It's all about the hammer pound. That's the secret to throwing far. It's not about reachback, it's not about the x-step, it's not about the line your throw. It's all about the hammer pound. All that other stuff will help make incremental improvements, but throwing really far is all about the hammer pound.

I also really like that it's a putter you're throwing and that you're emphasizing that you'd do the same thing with most other discs. All the important stuff you pointed out applies to driving all discs. Now people won't get hung up on your disc selection. They just happen to be getting hung up on other stuff instead. ;) I don't want you to get discouraged, it's a step in the right direction.

What would be really interesting is to see that exact same video, but with you throwing a putter shot that doesn't turn over like that. It flips to flat and stays that way. You'll probably get like 50' less distance, but it would be cool to show what changes and what doesn't. Spoiler alert, most of the important stuff he pointed out either won't change or will be less exaggerated.

Let him go, im sick of watching people worship his bad form.

:popcorn:

Latest posts