• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Drives - Form Tips -

Uh...Ken Climo, perhaps the most accurate disc golfer ever never really loses sight of the target in vid below and keeps his chin to his shoulder. The target or your target line apex or target window should always be in sight at the hit. Craigg talks about having a window to aim through that you know if your discs hits that window, the disc should get to the target.

personally i feel that the moment you reach back muscle memory takes over, this is where all those hours of field practice come in. If you line yourself up right then your target should be in a straight line from your reachback and if you pull straight across your body, then your throw should be in line with your target. If you're still watching your target there is tension being caused in the neck and shoulder area which shouldn't be there. Your body should feel free and loose...i'm definitely not a pro by any means but most pros watch the hit not the target

I'm sure most people have allready seen this video, but it has helped me a lot
Avery Jenkins Slo-mo

Agreed

At the moment of the hit you should be looking at nothing(aka trusting technique). You do relocate your target with your eyes but it is during your follow through, not while you are reaching back, pulling through, or hitting it. Did you see the PDGA magazine with Will on the cover? He is mashing a hyzer and his eyes are staring off into nothingness because the disc had just ripped out of his hand.

Um...dam that Climo guy giving whack advice on accuracy.

Not sure how current these numbers are but I looked up their longest drives and well, the numbers speak for themselves.

Longest Drive
Ken Climo: 573'
Avery Jenkins: 705'

Now i know this has nothing to do with accuracy, but i thought the original topic was about throwing further.

Uhh...the post I replied to asked about accuracy. These numbers also speak for themselves.

World championships
Climo~12x
Jemkins~1x
Williams~0x

Uhh...the post I replied to asked about accuracy. These numbers also speak for themselves.

World championships
Climo~12x
Jemkins~1x
Williams~0x
But KC's "only" thrown 573'. ;) Does anyone know when that was or what disc he used? It seems like that number has been there for a while.

This isn't a "how to max out your distance" thread, it's a thread about what's needed to get to that last plateau that so many people want to hit. For me, and many others that Blake has taught, getting visual contact as soon as you can after the reach back has helped both distance and accuracy a lot. It's way easier to focus your power when you have a target to focus on and it much easier to learn the muscle memory you'd need to throw consistently by not doing that. Those guys can do it despite the fact that they don't get visual contact until later, not because they do it that way. Focus on the similarities between pros, not the differences. This is a difference and many people have found one way is a much easier way to do it.

World championships
Climo~12x
Jemkins~1x
Williams~0x

Ken Climo was a player that was ahead of his time. The sport wasn't near as big nor did it have such an abundant source of quality players like we do today. It's not much of a surprise to me that Climo has more titles, he has been playing a lot longer than either of the two mentioned

Years Playing
Climo 23
Avery 11
Brad 5

Not to Mention, 9 of his 12 were between 90-98. Many of todays pros weren't even playing then. I am not trying to dis-credit Climo by any means, I don't think anyone will ever be able to come close to his 12 championships, and he is still considered one of the best in the game. His current world ranking is 5. I agree with you that, yes the guy is consistent, yes he is one of the most accurate in the game, but he is not one of the biggest arms in the game.

I was talking distance, you were talking accuracy. I guess if we were to debate about anything then talking about the same subject would help immensely. Sorry for the confusion.:doh:

This whole thread has filled my otherwise depressing morning with unlimited joy,thank you.

ORIGINAL POST
I wanted to put a video online of normal distance lines, and do some slow motion etc, so that maybe the people that are having a hard time with getting more D, maybe they could benefit from looking at a drive i am hoping that people who are struggling with certain parts of their Drives can benefit from this video.

Previous Post
This isn't a "how to max out your distance" thread, it's a thread about what's needed to get to that last plateau that so many people want to hit. For me, and many others that Blake has taught, getting visual contact as soon as you can after the reach back has helped both distance and accuracy a lot. .

no the point is not "how to max out distance" but it is to ADD distance, and I feel you could LOSE distance by straining your neck to look at your target while in or right after your reach back. But thats just my opinion, and honestly what works for me, might not work as well for you, just like putting, everyone has their own style.

Fwiw I have heard of others that do keep a visual on their target through the corner of their eye during their entire reach back... One specific way won't be the best way for everyone so i suggest trying them all.

My technique isn't locked down yet so I find I have to focus on what my body is doing during my throw and rely on spatial awareness, peripheral vision, and how I'm lined up to aim. My brain sort of stops worrying about where my eyes are directed. When I twist my neck around in an attempt to look forward I often open up my shoulders too soon.

I'm confused as to what you mean by this. Seems like a pretty arbitrary useless comment. KC is the man....

I believe he's trying to say that he needs to win again.

I'm saying it's been a decade or so since he won any world or US championship. He was the man, but until he wins again I'm not sure that he's any better than any of the younger guys playing now,

I'm saying it's been a decade or so since he won any world or US championship.
5 years != decade.
He was the man, but until he wins again I'm not sure that he's any better than any of the younger guys playing now,
The point is that no one has even come close to being as consistently good for as long as he has for the last 20 years. The way he controls his head and both makes eye contact with the target and aims with his body is part of why he was able to do that. Him not winning Worlds in 5 years has nothing to do with any of that.

I'm not saying you need to strain your neck, just that looking at your target as soon as you can and maintain that visual contact will help focus your power and throw where you're aiming.

5 years != decade. The point is that no one has even come close to being as consistently good for as long as he has for the last 20 years. The way he controls his head and both makes eye contact with the target and aims with his body is part of why he was able to do that. Him not winning Worlds in 5 years has nothing to do with any of that.

I'm not saying you need to strain your neck, just that looking at your target as soon as you can and maintain that visual contact will help focus your power and throw where you're aiming.

My bad, I thought I'd heard it had been longer than 5 years.

My point wasn't that he isn't good, he's incredible. My point was that I didn't think he was better than McCabe, Nikko, or Feldberg, etc. are right now. Take the Comet. When it first came out, it was amazing and better than any straight mid at that time. It's still an amazing disc, but it isn't better than the Buzzz or Fuse, etc - newer discs.

I was just saying that while Climo was the best player in his prime, I'm not so sure that he's better than any newer player is now.

Hope that clarified my point.

And Garublador, I wasn't even thinking about how he uses his head or anything like that. That wasn't what I was talking about.