• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Drives - Form Tips -

Hating on KC!? Probably rooting for the Heat too...?

But yea, there's no doubt there is more talent coming to disc golf. Still, if you look at his stats since he won Worlds in 06 you see he finishes top 5 over 50% of the time, top 10 80% and only has a couple finishes outside of 15 with a bunch of wins to go along with his elite rating and ranking...I think it's safe to say he's still pretty solid fundamentally. He has a pretty even keeled approach where some players have a min/max approach that can hit or miss.

And Garublador, I wasn't even thinking about how he uses his head or anything like that. That wasn't what I was talking about.
This whole conversation is about how he uses his head and gets visual contact with the target early on and how that's helped him win 12 world championships. If you aren't talking about that then what are you arguing about and how is it adding anything useful to the conversation?

Whether or not he's better than any pro right now is totally irrelevant. However, keep in mind he's what, 42-43 years old, has a kid and still playing almost 1040 rated disc golf.

First off, if you've never heard the adage, "where the eyes go the hands will follow." Or "Where the eyes go the body will follow." Then you haven't played many sports requiring much aiming. Nearly all acrobatic, shooting, and most balls sports require insane eye contact skills.

I don't remember who said it but, said someone doesn't take their eyes off their target their entire reach back might be accurate. But, can't throw as far. Because simple body mechanics don't allow for it as much as if you remove your eyes from your target slightly. This entire thread has been a **** storm, slightly funny but highly misinterpreted and derailed a lot.

Another little tid bit of info for those that are wondering if a 400' straight line putter shot can be done. Yes, can I do it. No, but I've gotten close. 380 was my farthest straight line putter throw. Yes, distance lines can get you there, with controlled OAT or not. Does that make it less distance, no. Is a straight line shot more impressive? Only to those that know what it takes to actually achieve such a feat. Incredible nose down achievements, proper elevation and, and some incredible snap.

*edit* Ps, SUUUUUUP Kachtz!!!

Last edited:
This whole conversation is about how he uses his head and gets visual contact with the target early on and how that's helped him win 12 world championships. If you aren't talking about that then what are you arguing about and how is it adding anything useful to the conversation?

Whether or not he's better than any pro right now is totally irrelevant. However, keep in mind he's what, 42-43 years old, has a kid and still playing almost 1040 rated disc golf.

It started because Josh asked me about a comment that didn't have anything to do with what KC does with his head, it was just about how long it had been since he won a championship. So no, I wasn't talking about his technique or anything like that.

This is a little off topic but....
Will someone please take pics. of their grips for driving with your putter, putting with your putter and driving with your mid range discs.

This will be GREATLY appreciated

no pics needed. power grip for driving with putters, fan grip with the first digit of my index finger under the bead for putting, power grip for mids. You dont need fancy grips to drive mids and putters.

Ok thanks and how to throw it thats another problem I have. I have tried the tecnique of facing the basket and that doesnt seem to give me the power I want and I cant throw more than 25 feet and putting facing like I drive isnt accurate!!!

Ok thanks and how to throw it thats another problem I have. I have tried the tecnique of facing the basket and that doesnt seem to give me the power I want and I cant throw more than 25 feet and putting facing like I drive isnt accurate!!!

Try throwing your putter from the stance without the basket in front of you, not aiming at any particular target, focusing only on trying to get a straight line with as much distance as possible. Obviously use good form. I have found that I get tentative when trying to make a putt, but when there is no basket in front of me, I can throw a very straight shot over 30'.

Try throwing your putter from the stance without the basket in front of you, not aiming at any particular target, focusing only on trying to get a straight line with as much distance as possible. Obviously use good form. I have found that I get tentative when trying to make a putt, but when there is no basket in front of me, I can throw a very straight shot over 30'.

Thats sort of like those times that you miss your putt, then pick up the previous disc marking your lie and drill the heart of the basket :D

just read the thread through. i think all the rude people congragated in one spot.

but there was some great info

big thx to the mods for breaking down the info and keeping the mob somewhat in check

Sorry if you were unable to send me a message, seems my Inbox is full, i will respond to everyone soon as i can, I did a short clip today showing same throw basically but from the side view, hopefully someone can get something good from it!

if you are able to pause the video just before the disc comes out of my hand at full extension, you are able to see the disc is actually stretched out, or oval shaped. that is what i was trying to explain to Sidewinder and others who believe it is standard OAT that is causing the wobble at the beginning.

also about grip....i am basically holding on to the disc as hard as i can, i do a lot of weight lifting and can grip pretty strong, but my grip is still not strong enough to hold on to my drivers, i should be able to get more D out of just improving my grip strength. grip is probably one of the most important things in improving Distance.

normally if i screw up a throw and have OAT, it will continue to burn right and crash, and even if i get it to fly out, i cant get past 310' with an OAT type throw with a putter...drivers are more forgiving in that, putters are not, especally thrown really hard.

hope everyone is doing well.

432' 175 JK aviar 14 mph tailwind.

Last edited:
kachtz; I don't know what it is but I always see something I could work on when watching you throw.. Thanks for the vid.

warping disc on release

discbend.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/discbend.jpg

Nice vid Katchz! You make excellent points as I've said before. Hot dog, that is a high reachback! It looks like you use some wrist roll under oat and your palm rotates down just after the disc leaves your hand in the follow through?

Question since you pivot on the ball of your foot, unlike most the other top throwers...what do you relate the footwork to? Golf, baseball, football?