• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter for driving practice

Sorg67

I have heard some say that until you can throw a putter 250 feet, you have significant flaws in technique. If I wanted to work on this and try to learn to throw a putter 250 feet what putter would be good to use? I currently use an Aviar R-Pro Putt and Approach. I also have an Aviar KC-Pro.

Hopefully neither of these will be good choices so I have a good excuse to go buy a new disc.... hahahaha......

Seriously, I get some of my longest throw when I am trying to throw a "power hyzer". Unfortunately these end up OB right since the do not come back left as planned. I have started using more stable discs for my "power hyzer" drives, but I suspect the real solution is in technique.

I believe I tend to put a little anhyzer on the release. Attempting to hyzer perhaps blends a bunch of faults into a better throw.

I am thinking that if I slow it down and get a consistent throw with a putter, then gradually work up the chain to faster discs until I find my optimal formula, I might find my personal secret sauce. (OK - others have suggested this and I am thinking they may be right :) )

My current primary driver is a 168g Lat 64 Saint.

Those will be fine. The PnA will be the less forgiving of the two, depending on their level of seasoning.

The fact that you are starting to practice on your driving form with putters is a good excuse to pick up one or two more. They are pretty cheap. You can pick up a Magnet or Banger GT for less than $8 and will give you a little variety.

If you want to try something new/different, you can't go wrong with a Wizard.

Axiom discs' Envy is awesome for drives, but it's perhaps not the best indicator of poor form as it has incredible high speed stability. It's a great discs tho, no doubt

A pure is a good tool for getting rid of Off axis torque. If you don't have a clean release, it's going to have a bunch of turn. The wizard is my favorite for throwing though.

As fast as the Pure is, it's much more tolerant of OAT than an Aviar PnA. Not Envy tolerant but still pretty tolerant.

Any neutral/stable putter thats good to grip will do.
I have tried:
Classic Aviar - didnt like, felt too deep for driving
Neutron Envy - really good but, pretty overstable, hides flaws, can handle a lot of power. Good for FH.
Prodigy PA3 in 300 plastic - really good for driving + good to grip
N Proxy - felt slightly more US that PA3 , but still good
Westside medium shield - good , flied exactly as numbers suggest
Tacoed/folded Pro D Banger GT - surprisingly HSS with little fade
N Ion - cant always grip well, but nice neutral flight with good glide.

Nova is also a great choice. Paul mcbeth throws them like 350 dead straight but a mere mortal should still be able to throw one 250 straight with some practice. I think they are pretty similar to an Aviar PnA though.

Personally I like the Atom, and have heard the Proxy is a great premium plastic alternative.

Also if you like beaded putters the Challenger, Wizard and Touch are really nice.

If you don't like beads I've found the warlock, war spear and gui to be great.

All of them are good. Buy 6 more of your favorite because you have to walk so far to pick them up now.

Unless it's crazy OS or beat to a pulp, any speed 2-3 putter/PnA can be driven 250+ feet. It might require different outer wing angles, power, and/or elevations off the ground but determining all of those variables is good practice.

I have heard some say that until you can throw a putter 250 feet, you have significant flaws in technique.

*Sigh* I don't know how young you are nor how athletic (or anti-athletic) your muscles are, but the above is not true for everyone. Old(er) people like me and anti-athletic people may just not get our putters that far no matter how good our form is. The above statement is like whoever said "don't throw anything higher speed than a Leopard of you can't throw a Leopard 300 ft. or more". Sheesh... but moving along....

If I wanted to work on this and try to learn to throw a putter 250 feet what putter would be good to use? I currently use an Aviar R-Pro Putt and Approach. I also have an Aviar KC-Pro.

It is good to work on form, and once you have it right and can maximize your potential, whatever level it may be, you'll have more fun. As to putters to practice with:

IMHO the Pure is a very straight putter, and would be a good one to practice form and technique with. I putt with a Warden, which is a straight-flyer, and the Prodigy PA-4 is a good straight disc.

The Wizard is overstable, and my $0.02 is to use a straighter putter until you start throwing with good form, and then use an overstable putter like the Wizard to refine your techniques.

Last but not least: the Nova is an excellent straight-flying putter, and some guy named "McBeth" says that the Nova shows him if his form is off and he needs to practice the basics. I dunno about that "McBeth" guy, he's only the 4peat World Champ and 2015 Grand Slam winner, but he might be on to something ;) Having said that.. the Nova is basically an overmolded Aviar P&A. If you like the Aviar, you will probably like the Nova.

I've been chucking a vibram sole around as my neutral putter. It's basically a premium rubber magnet clone. It's been helpful for cleaning up my form. Power gripped it will turn and fan grip it will hold straight at 250ft.

The Judge is a good one too and comes in many plastics.

I spent an entire winter on a soccer field with X Comets and Wizards learning form.

When I was working on form with putters I bought $50 worth of X-outs from Marshall Street. All different putters to see what I liked and what I didn't.

I used the Pure and Envy to practice driving with. I played 2 months straight with 6 putters as my only discs in my bag until I could drive all of them out to 250. What really made me realize the potential of them was when I birdied several holes that I used to throw fairway drivers on. When I switched back to my fairways, to see the difference, I blew by the holes with little effort. I say this to say, don't give up after those first few rounds when you end up 15 over. It's worth it.

*Sigh* I don't know how young you are nor how athletic (or anti-athletic) your muscles are, but the above is not true for everyone. Old(er) people like me and anti-athletic people may just not get our putters that far no matter how good our form is. The above statement is like whoever said "don't throw anything higher speed than a Leopard of you can't throw a Leopard 300 ft. or more". Sheesh... but moving along....

Boy, you just can't stop beating this dead horse. It one thing to be an outlier if you can crush discs and play better than the norm, but at 200ft+ with mids that's clearly not the case. If you want to play your own game, that's fine, have at it. But when folks are trying to improve, why harp on the advise that better players give?

I was stubborn once too and after sucking it up, body in pain and getting nowhere, I too succumbed to the advise.

I spent an entire winter on a soccer field with X Comets and Wizards learning form.

Except I threw a Judge and Comet

Latest posts