• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter for driving practice

Pick a putter, almost all are fine for driving except maybe some of the truly understable molds. And even then the main concern would be controlling the amount of turn or dealing with the wind.

To get this back on track, how about a Serpent for driving practice?

The Serpent, especially in Fossil is an amazing driving putter. I absolutely love it, but, I tend to like shallower putters for driving. If you want a great shallow, neutral putter for driving the Proxy is pretty neat as well. Honestly, I'd buy a Serpent and a Proxy. They are relatively close in flight in my experience. Then you could choose between shallow and a little deeper.

I tried reading this thread to see if anyone had said PURE yet but I just couldn't make it past all the internet expert discussions. I've settled on the Pure as a driving putter but have probably tried at least 10 different molds over the last year. Unfortunately you may have to spend a bit to find one you like.

I tried reading this thread to see if anyone had said PURE yet but I just couldn't make it past all the internet expert discussions. I've settled on the Pure as a driving putter but have probably tried at least 10 different molds over the last year. Unfortunately you may have to spend a bit to find one you like.

I vaguely remember someone saying Pure back on page 1 or 2.

I bought my wife an XT Whale a couple months ago and had been regretting the purchase, as neither of us like it for putting. On the other hand, maybe a decent disc for trying the "putter for 200" task. I remember throwing it and turning it over several months ago, but it very well could have been OAT.

It's tough to recommend a good putter to learn to throw with. It's pretty personal in terms of feel and how you like to throw.

I personally like the judge, since it's shallow but beaded, so provides the rim grip I'm looking for without being too deep like the challenger and kc aviar feel to me.

For general recommendations, I'd say try out the basics first. Aviar PnA, Challenger, Warlock, KC Aviar, Wizard. Although if you're trying to develop clean throwing habits, stuff like the PnA, Magic (although it has a very unique hand feel), Pure, and maybe even a Magnet to really learn a clean release.

The Pure has a more midrange feel like several other modern putters. It's definitely one of my favorite to drive with because of that. I like driving the Omega SS a lot too, which is basically an Aviar. I would get an Opto Pure for more stable drives, and stick with your Aviar for beating in to understable.

To get this back on track, how about a Serpent for driving practice?

I drive serpents during rounds, great control and feel. But in the practice field I drill one or two wizards alongside them. The Serpents mask some OAT. Wizards reveal all sins. I can get the wizards out about 15 feet further, IF/WHEN I get clean releases. I'll probably start bagging one for putter D when I get the shot memorized.

The Serpent, especially in Fossil is an amazing driving putter. I absolutely love it, but, I tend to like shallower putters for driving. If you want a great shallow, neutral putter for driving the Proxy is pretty neat as well. Honestly, I'd buy a Serpent and a Proxy. They are relatively close in flight in my experience. Then you could choose between shallow and a little deeper.

The proxy and serpent are the same depth, the serpent just has a higher shoulder.

The lat 64 spike or my personal preference the gateway chief would be excellent examples of shallower putters. The chief gets pretty picky when it comes to release angle as well so will be a good tool for mastering that. Get a firmer one though, the softer ones beat in pretty quick to flippy. Just my $.02, it has been a great tool for me to learn with.

A lot of the people who are recommending Serpents, Pures (especially Opto Pures), and some other discs like that are definitely correct about those being great driving putters, but they are not the putters generally I would recommend for learning because they are tolerant of OAT and (the pure) is a little on the fast side. Something more difficult to throw like a Nova, Aviar, Warden, P1, etc. would be a better option for someone trying to polish their mechanics, IMHO.

A lot of the people who are recommending Serpents, Pures (especially Opto Pures), and some other discs like that are definitely correct about those being great driving putters, but they are not the putters generally I would recommend for learning because they are tolerant of OAT and (the pure) is a little on the fast side. Something more difficult to throw like a Nova, Aviar, Warden, P1, etc. would be a better option for someone trying to polish their mechanics, IMHO.

This FO' Sho'^
Teaching discs don't always make the best playing discs.(until you've mastered all their lessons)