• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter for driving practice

You cannot "learn" speed. You can develop what you naturally have to max it out, but you cannot learn MORE speed than what you're born with and programmed to have. Period.
I think I may understand the point your making. Maybe...

I'm a big MMA guy. And you can see speed diffetences easily in this arena, for instance. Some people will naturally have faster hands and some will have more power, so on and so forth.

I think what SD is saying is speed can't always be 100% taught (and the more you're starting with the greater chance for improvement), it can however be honed, or fine tuned for people with a pre-disposition. Is this correct?

If anyone is actually saying that you can't/don't improve armspeed with practice, from when you were a beginner just starting out throwing, that is just nuts. Fast muscles/slow muscles :rolleyes:...this isn't kung fu.

If anyone is actually saying that you can't/don't improve armspeed with practice, from when you were a beginner just starting out throwing, that is just nuts. Fast muscles/slow muscles :rolleyes:...this isn't kung fu.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying that, are they?

Actually, yes, this is exactly what SD is saying. And he is absolutely 100% completely ignorant and wrong in what he is saying. There is absolutely no reason with proper practice that you cannot generate the arm speed, snap, and leverage to get a putter out to 250-300 feet. It does not take that much athleticism to achieve. I don't care when your big and small muscles become programmed, which in itself is a fallacy, you can and many people have, reprogrammed those musccles. SD does not have one clue what he is talking about and needs to shut his mouth with the falsity that he is spreading because it is actually his "advice" that is harmful to the newcomer trying to better his game. If I would've saw this garbage when I plateaued and put any merit in to it because of my disability and non-athleticism, I may have just given up. Thankfully I have an actual functioning brain and can see through this crap for exactly what it is. The rambling of a complete idiot that has no clue what the heck it is he is talking about.

I think he's trying to say that it takes peak tiger or Tony Romo level athleticism to throw a putter 300

No, that is not what I said. You (and others here) continue to dishonestly misrepresent what I said.

Your cheap shots and dishonest representations do not change the fact that what I have posted is the truth.

No, that is not what I said. You (and others here) continue to dishonestly misrepresent what I said.

Your cheap shots and dishonest representations do not change the fact that what I have posted is the truth.

You are the ONLY one in this thread who believes it is the truth. That alone does not make you reconsider?

B.S. You either have the physical ability (i.e. the arm speed) to do it, or you do not. Some people may need to work to develop what they physically have, but some will never have that arm speed, and NO amount of work, coaching, or practice will make it happen. This is not defeatist, this is just human physiology.
I really REALLY hope your not a teacher. I had teachers like this and they kept so many young people from succeeding.

We are infinite beings with endless abilities limited ONLY by our perceptions.

Open your mind, free your soul, throw a putter 250'

I'm honestly in major disbelief that there is someone out there who plays disc golf and finds this to be such an extraordinary accomplishment

I don't think he's calling it an extraordinary accomplishment, he's just saying that he's extraordinary unathletic

I'll respond to your first post because you keep saying people are misrepresenting you.

*Sigh* I don't know how young you are nor how athletic (or anti-athletic) your muscles are, but the above is not true for everyone. Old(er) people like me and anti-athletic people may just not get our putters that far no matter how good our form is. The above statement is like whoever said "don't throw anything higher speed than a Leopard of you can't throw a Leopard 300 ft. or more". Sheesh... but moving along....

Every single person I have met who has what I would consider moderate to good form (I won't claim to be an expert, but I have done some work on disc golf technique) can throw a putter 250'. I won't claim every single person can do this because I haven't met every person, but of the hundreds of disc golfers I've met the only ones who can't hit 250' with a putter have bad form. I've seen young and old, big and small, and technique rules. I haven't met anyone who has put in the hours in the field and not gotten this kind of distance.

It's true that everyone has a natural baseline athleticism that they are building on, and that certain physiques make throwing far easier (e.g. I have monkey arms). But with proper technique throwing a putter 250' is not just achievable; it's easy. I'm not bragging here, but I can standstill a putter 250' with very little effort. I couldn't hit 250' with a putter 2 years ago to save my life. I worked hard at it. I didn't get stronger (I'm in worse shape now than I was then), I just honed my form.

In my experience, this is achievable by everyone who does not have some severe physical limitation and puts the work in.

Sounds like.

I dare anyone here to find disc golf driving tutorials or info where "building armspeed" is not mentioned. It's almost always referred to as the primary goal to getting good distance. Armspeed when throwing a disc isn't magically there or not there. Beginners aren't going to have it initially, while experienced players should get there at some point in their throwing development. It's all part of technique and understanding, with basic coordination playing an important part also.

If you're an uncoordinated dufus who can't even run a straight line, then maybe there's no hope. Otherwise, practice and commitment. But you do need a proper understanding of correct technique.

Someone here refuses to accept that and would rather use excuses or conjure up a bunch of idiotic rationalizations for a lack of ability.

I really REALLY hope your not a teacher. I had teachers like this and they kept so many young people from succeeding.

c4y7b.jpg

This is absolutely one of the best posts I have read on DGCR. Kudos to you.

I played sports since I could walk. I'm not a big guy, 5'8" I'm very athletic but not very powerful. This coming summer will be my 3rd full year of DG. I can get my putters out to 250-270' but my best of best drives with drivers are maxing out at 350-360'. I can feel it, I'm missing 'the hit'. Working on it because it's fun and I enjoy the seeing the progress. I'm old and past my physical prime but I'm confident once I get my footing, timing, and form nailed down I will be able to hit 400'. Not because I am becoming more athletic or stronger but because my technique will be proper. Probably TMI but it's important to me the youth and the not stereotypically athletic people believe in themselves and realize we all have the same ability to succeed because we all share the same body whether they are big or small, physically strong or weak.

DG can be a great opportunity for kids who don't fit in with typical school sports. It can bring joy and build confidence to their lives in other ventures in life. Disc On and Get Along :)

I have heard some say that until you can throw a putter 250 feet, you have significant flaws in technique.

In my experience.....

Driving with a nice neutral putter like the Aviar PnA will help smooth out your form, it is also a good way to learn how to control the disc. It helped me with my form and overall game when i started out, same is true for all the people i have played with that started driving more with their putters. That said..... I know people who have great mid/driver form but cant drive with a putter to save their life, often times because they just dont like the feel of it so they never bothered to learn.

One important thing with form is to not get to focused on the distance, instead focus on getting the right feel, trying to get your form nice and smooth. It is easier to learn smooth form and then increase the speed than it is to rip it with everything you've got and then trying to learn how to control it.

I'm pretty sure he plays, why would he claim to be a noodle if he didn't actually play? Doesn't it make more sense for a poser to claim lets say 420ft of power?

There have been others, claimed noodle arms too. Don't know about you, but I can't reconcile anything he says here with someone who has been throwing/playing for even a month.

I don't like to call anyone out like this, but something's way off when you look at his entire time here. A grand collection of unique nonsense bordering on lunacy. Disagree, and it's an instant hissy fit and outrageous insults in return.

Just very bizarre.

This thread has really gotten unproductive and is quickly becoming like the worst of the internet. If you disagree with what someone is saying, comment, but don't beat a dead horse. This crap has really gotten out of hand and makes me not like coming here. Lets try to bring some civility back to the thread and actually give advise that someone who reads this in a week or a year might be able to use.

Go throw putters, especially neutral ones. It is good for you game. You may never reach some magical distance goal you have, but that does not mean you will not get better.