• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter for driving practice

Nobody is "mis-representing" you, Negative Nancy.

You just seem hell bent on making excuses for poor form, and a lack of desire to correct it.

Your "arm speed" point could apply to certain discs... like speed 8-9 and above. Those discs must be thrown at a certain velocity or they simply won't fly right.

However, we're talking about putters. Which are typically speed 2 or 3 discs. If you can't throw a disc at speed 2-4, then you are seriously injured and should not be on a disc golf course. As I stated, I've got 3 bad discs in my neck (and nerve damage down my right arm which led to muscle atrophy) and *I* can throw a putter 250+. If I can do it, anyone can. Comparing it to a small % of gifted athletes who can throw 90+mph fastballs is lunacy. Yes there are some freak athletes in pro sports that can do things mere mortals like us only dream of. Throwing a disc 250+ is NOT one of those things!

The entire point of my post was simply this -

I used to think like you. That with my physical limitations, I would never be able to throw a putter (or any other disc) very far - certainly not this mythical 250+ that folks seem to reference!

I was WRONG. Form, Form, FORM! It has very little to do with arm speed, and more to do with a smooth fluid (OAT-free) release with some snap at the end. You don't have to be a gorilla-armed 22 yr old athlete to throw a disc well. ESPECIALLY a putter.

If you continually spend your time reinforcing your negative viewpoint - that you could NEVER throw that far - instead of working on it with a positive approach, then yeah - you're right. You'll never be able to do it. :thmbdown::wall:

However, if you open your mind to the *possibility* that maybe, perhaps, one day... you just might be able to, then who knows what could happen. :thmbup:

This! Well said sir. So much disinformation being spread. Do not limit yourself mentally, and please don't sell it to others. With good clean form and practice 250 with a putter is actually pretty easy. Even for a below average strength human.

There are some people who will NEVER... *EVER*... be able to throw a (PDGA-legal)putter 250 ft. and/or a (PDGA-legal) Leopard 300+ ft. Ever. It has nothing to do with injuries. It has nothing to do with form. It is because some people's big muscles were programmed anti-athletically when they were 3 years old or less. Once the big muscles are programmed, which happens by the time a kid is 3 years old, that's it, the brain shuts it off and it can NEVER be programmed again.

NO amount of practice, muscle-building or yoga is going to help them. They are physically unable to, and never will be able to.

This is the most ignorant thing I've ever seen posted on the internet. I couldn't imagine living life with such a defeatist attitude.

No one is born with the arm speed to throw a putter 300'. It's something you learn.

This is the most ignorant thing I've ever seen posted on the internet. I couldn't imagine living life with such a defeatist attitude.

No one is born with the arm speed to throw a putter 300'. It's something you learn.

giphy.gif

B.S. You either have the physical ability (i.e. the arm speed) to do it, or you do not. Some people may need to work to develop what they physically have, but some will never have that arm speed, and NO amount of work, coaching, or practice will make it happen. This is not defeatist, this is just human physiology.

Last edited:
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

This just keeps getting better.

This reminds me of all my mom's religious friends. Anytime somebody achieves something they want to think that person was "blessed with the talent/ability". No matter how much hard work, practice, effort, or dedication went into that achievement, they insist on bastardizing it by accrediting predisposition. Idk, maybe that makes them feel better about their lack of acheivement on some level. But, anyone who has actually worked hard for something will tell you: Humans have the ability to change, to improve their skills. And it is a challenging/rewarding task

B.S. You either have the physical ability (i.e. the arm speed) to do it, or you do not. Some people may need to work to develop what they physically have, but some will never have that arm speed, and NO amount of work, coaching, or practice will make it happen. This is not defeatist, this is just human physiology.

Sure some people have a natural talent and exceptional ability.. but throwing a putter 300 is pretty doable. Sure SOME people might not be able to develop the speed, but most can if they put in the work to learn good form like Mike C is saying.

Lets see here, besides the athletically gifted and the young and fit, we have;
Old guys, fat guys, fat old guys
The uncoordinated masses
The injured and the guys with degenerate diseases.
And they're all saying you are wrong.
Does it ever occur to you that your disc golf theory is flawed?

I had lots of great shots last year during rounds, but my most memorable shot counted for diddly squat. It came when I was practicing on the football field and threw a Judge 285ft. Now that may not sound like much to some, but the year before I couldn't throw a putter 150ft. I now throw putters on every shot 250ft and under (when applicable of course). I'm sure glad I never took SD86's advise and throw "helix" Tern shots.

By the way, I'm an old, fat, uncoordinated, nonathletic guy with bad knees and rotator-cuff issues.

By the way, I'm an old, fat, uncoordinated, nonathletic guy with bad knees and rotator-cuff issues.

Just because you're old fat and uncoordinated doesn't mean you don't have disc specific athleticism! :\

B.S. You either have the physical ability (i.e. the arm speed) to do it, or you do not.

That statement has nothing to do with reality.

We are discussing a learned motor function. No one is throwing discs in their mothers womb.

That statement has nothing to do with reality.
We are discussing a learned motor function. No one is throwing discs in their mothers womb.

You didn't read my previous post, then. Google this if you don't believe me: big muscles are programmed by the time a kid is three years old. Then the programming shuts off. Tiger Woods had a golf club in his hands when he was two years old (see: his appearance on the Bob Hope Show). Michael Jordan was playing with balls and running around at age two. They got programmed to be athletic. Paul McBeth played baseball at a high level before becoming a pro disc golfer; his muscles were programmed to be athletic. Tony Romo is a good golf player as well as football player; his muscles were programmed athletically.

You cannot "learn" speed. You can develop what you naturally have to max it out, but you cannot learn MORE speed than what you're born with and programmed to have. Period.

I'm speaking reality; you're just plain wrong, mother's wombs notwithstanding.

Perhaps SD86 could provide a video of himself throwing and we can see for ourselves if his armspeed is limited by anything but form.

You didn't read my previous post, then. Google this if you don't believe me: big muscles are programmed by the time a kid is three years old. Then the programming shuts off. Tiger Woods had a golf club in his hands when he was two years old (see: his appearance on the Bob Hope Show). Michael Jordan was playing with balls and running around at age two. They got programmed to be athletic. Paul McBeth played baseball at a high level before becoming a pro disc golfer; his muscles were programmed to be athletic. Tony Romo is a good golf player as well as football player; his muscles were programmed athletically.

You cannot "learn" speed. You can develop what you naturally have to max it out, but you cannot learn MORE speed than what you're born with and programmed to have. Period.

I'm speaking reality; you're just plain wrong, mother's wombs notwithstanding.

What YOU are not understanding is that the type of throws we are talking about here require a minimal level of baseline athleticism. You're post is strictly speaking, true. What you fail to realize is that we are NOT discussing elite athleticism here. Nobody is suggesting that enough practice will have you throwing toe to toe with Shuestrick or Lizotte.

a 250-300 foot putter shot does not require elite, or even above average, athleticism. If we were talking about 350-400 foot putter shots that a whole different ball game.

This part really destroys the case you are trying to make. If you understood good disc golf technique then you would know that disc speed doesn't come exclusively from arm speed, and that the majority of your golf distance comes from properly leveraging the disc to create spin/snap, and that arm speed is not required to get the disc spinning at a significant velocity. If you aren't leveraging the outside of the disc all the arm speed in the world isn't going to get you very far.

Beginning to seriously doubt SD86 even throws discs...could just be living vicariously on DGCR.

Nah he throws. I just don't think he's been throwing for very long.

Its the pretty standard problem with internet communication. Just because you have an opinion and its can easily reach a lot of people doesn't mean you're opinion has value, or that you know what you're talking about.

We need to turn this into a "putter throwing video" thread. I'd love to see what a well-thrown putter (or comet) is supposed to look like.

Nah he throws. I just don't think he's been throwing for very long.

Its the pretty standard problem with internet communication. Just because you have an opinion and its can easily reach a lot of people doesn't mean you're opinion has value, or that you know what you're talking about.

I'm not too sure about that, stuff he says is so far out and has so many holes in it. Anybody who's been at it for even a few months, and/or has seen others throw on courses simply will not come up with these lunatic conclusions. And it's across the board with this guy, regarding EVERYthing. How is that possible for anyone actually out there doing it, putting the time in? Only other possiblity, IMO, is just an incredibly uncoordinated person, not to mention totally clueless...about sports in general.

We need to turn this into a "putter throwing video" thread. I'd love to see what a well-thrown putter (or comet) is supposed to look like.

Look up Mike C videos on YouTube. He actually is the first post on top of this page. He can straight bomb putters, and with his clean form it actually looks effortless.