• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter selection for disc minimalists?

jmgdiscgolf

Par Member
If you decided to play regularly with 4-7 discs, would your putter selection change compared to if you played with a full bag of discs? Would you want a more versatile putter as a minimalist or would you still carry a putter for putting duties only?

Even with 18+2 discs that I normally carry, I still use my two putters for just putting 99% of the time. So I'd probably still only putt with a putter.

Even when I I just play with 3 discs instead of 22 I still use the same putter mold.

I currently bag 5 putters, all KC Aviars. I also throw a Champion Dart in the mix on a couple local courses. I strongly believe in using only one putter for putting duties. If I carried 7 discs or less, I'd still carry 2 putters. I'd use 1 for strictly putting & 1 for drives/approaches. I'd choose a stable (straight) driving putter. That way I could make it finish left, straight or right. I'd also make sure my driving putter was in premium plastic so it stays a straight flyier for along time. No need for a beefy driving putter with so few discs in the bag, power down a mid instead.

Putters currently in my bag (of 15 discs):

Sole, Jokeri, Sparta, Tank

If I was only playing with 4 discs I would still bring 2 putters. Conditions and course would determine which driving/approach putter comes along with the Sole.

I routinely carry a Nutsac (7 discs) for casual rounds. Two putters: A Fluid Warden for throwing and a beat Classic (Hard) Warden for putting.

If I drop down to less discs, or just one disc, I'll just roll with the Fluid Warden. It is not quite as good a putter (too flexible) but is a much better thrower....

I would just use my Zone. I usually carry a Zone for fairway approaches and jump putts, and putt on the greens with a colt. I also carry an Envy for short flick anhyzers. If I was being a disc minimalist, I would definitely just carry the zone because it can be used almost like a putter/midrange hybrid

When I bring my bigger bag or my cart I carry extra putters. I only bring my blow fly for example when I have my cart. I also skip my Zone when I am in my small or medium bag. My main putter is a medium Pure my driving putter is a Discmania P3.

I have several wizards in my bag, different firmness on them. I also keep a rhyno in there for some shots. If I had to go down to fewer discs it'd probably be one wizard and one rhyno.

I prefer baseline for putting and premium plastic for driving. If I am super limited, I'd prefer to putt with premium (N Anode) instead of the other way around

I have normally carried a soft wizard, a challenger, and a star Aviar. My last few rounds though I started using a Sinus. I had gotten in in a player pack and hadn't yet thrown it. Now I'm hooked. It stays on the line throw it, and it's really great for up shots too. Still bag my drone for those shots just far away I'm not comfortable throwing a putter. But still find myself throwing this Sinus way more than I ever thought I would throwing any putter. Very very impressed.

I often carry a small bag. I'd have my beat scale for putting and either an Ir or Chief OS depending on the course and what mids.

My big bag has 4 putters: 2 Yetis one Wizard and 1 Scale.

My little bag just has one Yeti. It is my main putter and any BH drives.

If you decided to play regularly with 4-7 discs, would your putter selection change compared to if you played with a full bag of discs? Would you want a more versatile putter as a minimalist or would you still carry a putter for putting duties only?

For putting, I would still carry and use my Classic Warden as always. I also always carry a Star Colt, so it would be in the bag. But if limited in discs, those likely would be the only two putters I would carry.

I could get away with one putter, period on a minimal round - my putting putter could easily be used for drives too, and my comet can power down and handle an anny at short distance.

However, I much prefer two. I can't throw rhfh so I'd prefer a flippy putter to carry me through some right hand turns.

Back when I was minimalizing last I used an XL, Viper, Ghost, and a Magnet.

I'd swap the Magnet out for a Voodoo right now, but same basic story.

I just have to pick which softness...

If I'm only carrying one it's usually the Scale. I can putt with it but it can also do some shots is use my Harp for.