• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting angle issues

I guess I never realized how prevalent the drop to the opposite side of the body is. I would say in general I keep my disc right of center. Me thinks its time for some revamping of my form. I don't think I have ever truly tried to push putt in its purest form. Thank you everyone for your input it really did help!

I might be wrong, and often am, but with putting I don't think it matters as much what style you use per se, but rather that you find the right style for you. I think too many people over think things and try to force square pegs into round holes.
The key, in any style, is consistency, and to get there I believe the most important thing is to find a simple, comfortable, and therefore easily repeatable motion that works best for you as an individual. What is most comfortable and works for one simply may not be the best option for someone else. That's why every player you watch does things a little differently, even within the confines of a particular "style."
Forget labels. It's of no importance. Find your comfortable, repeatable motion and make it yours.

Fwiw, I'm also a 950 advanced player (well, pre shoulder surgery anyway) and I got there because I could approach and putt. Off the tee....well, that's another matter entirely.

I improved from a terrible putter who was in the 950s to averaging 980 the last 8 months all because of putting. First, you have to practice a lot. If you are not putting at least a few hundred putts a week/3-7 days a week, then you can't expect to improve much. The muscle memory is everything. The second part is all mental. You have to believe you are a good putter, be excited about every putt, and once you commit to running a putt, you can't think about missing/know you already made it.

You have to believe you are a good putter, be excited about every putt, and once you commit to running a putt, you can't think about missing/know you already made it.

^^^^^^^^^This is crucial. This is something anyone at any level can do to improve your odds of making putts. Simply decide that you're going to make every putt. There's zero upside to thinking otherwise.

Putted for an hour and a half before league yesterday and it translated well to my round. Definitely figured out I am a hybrid putter after messing around with pure push putting and pure spin putting. I lean more on the spin which I think causes some of my inconsistency. I also worked on a tightening my grip which seemed to clean up some of the timing and release issues. Practice practice practice will be my key.

Well I am bringing this thread back from the dead. I am still struggling with putting. I may be the only person on the planet that can spend almost an hour per night putting in my back yard and actually get WORSE. It seems that from set to set I can go from making everything to missing everything. I don't feel like my hand/grip communicates with my brain very well. From one putt to the next I can go from painting the center pole to winging wide right then early releasing inside left. I have found lately that my thumb seems to be slipping toward my palm as I transition from the pull down to the throw. Never in my life have I struggled to get a physical task done. I am 996 rated and still putt like I am 940 rated. Still averaging 2-4 "misses" per round on putts I "should" make. Help. Anybody. Help.

You're obviously way better than me, but I often get the yips (got them in baseball, got them playing platform tennis when you only get one serve and you have to make it count) so naturally, I get them with putting.
To get through these episodes (no matter the sport), I have come up with a few strategies:

1. Remember that you can make the putt. There's nothing truly special about the putt in question, it's something that you can make more often than not.
2. Don't think about missing the putt or the consequences of missing it. Refer to #1.
3. Practice putting blind- seriously, don't laugh. One thing I did to normalize my toss in platform tennis serves was to try serving with my eyes closed. I wanted my serve to be all muscle memory so I could block out the mental issues that came with #2. You have the mechanics down I'm sure, so take the visual aspect out and see what happens (you could have a friend help you to tell you which way you're missing or you could video yourself).

Again, I'm just a n00b, but I can empathize with the struggle.

I am still a work in progress but have had a definite improvement the last few months. It started with a marksman putting league last winter. I wasn't good, but got to see that in that controlled setting I was actually better than average when I thought I was just horrible. Confidence helped.

I've been having to commute for work a lot recently. 4-5 hours in the car per day and I finally downloaded the audio book for Golf is not a game of perfect. Its recommended so much on these forums, it was great and after listening to it once I was pretty excited and got one of my best practice sessions putting. Then basically listened to it on repeat for several days.

I started from about 6 to 8 feet from the basket and took out all motion except my arm to work on the release. I did this for as long as I needed to to feel a nice consistent release point. I still lose it every once in a while and when I do I move back to this. Just step back a little at a time to get more of the body involved with the release.
THEN
take the Golf is Not a Game of Perfect advice, turn off the brain and smash the disc into a single link. Start as close as you need to to hit that link and try and keep your mind in the same place it would be in if you were to crumple a piece of paper and toss it into the trash from an office desk.

Well I am bringing this thread back from the dead. I am still struggling with putting. I may be the only person on the planet that can spend almost an hour per night putting in my back yard and actually get WORSE. It seems that from set to set I can go from making everything to missing everything. I don't feel like my hand/grip communicates with my brain very well. From one putt to the next I can go from painting the center pole to winging wide right then early releasing inside left. I have found lately that my thumb seems to be slipping toward my palm as I transition from the pull down to the throw. Never in my life have I struggled to get a physical task done. I am 996 rated and still putt like I am 940 rated. Still averaging 2-4 "misses" per round on putts I "should" make. Help. Anybody. Help.

Some ideas that may help.

Have sessions where you try every putting style but the one you use on the course. Work out the mechanics of each of those from turbos to reach out straddles and what makes it successful. For one thing it'll help you when you come to the weird lies on the course but for the main reason it will turn your brain off a bit from the expectaitions you have in your usual putting style.

As another idea focus on your downswing. If you are trying to paint the pole on the way up make sure you are mirroring it on the way down. Sounds stupid but the amount of people (good players and bad) I see who pull the arm down right to left or left to right then try to go up straight is incredible. My putting mantra these days is "down the pole, up the pole" I miss way too much still but it's all band and bucket rather than left to right which used to be my nemesis and gives you major putting yips.

You can also slow waaaaaay down even on the upswing, it helps you to focus on the timing at the most important point.

Putted for an hour and a half before league yesterday and it translated well to my round. Definitely figured out I am a hybrid putter after messing around with pure push putting and pure spin putting. I lean more on the spin which I think causes some of my inconsistency. I also worked on a tightening my grip which seemed to clean up some of the timing and release issues. Practice practice practice will be my key.

I am hybrid putter too, for all putts now and not just 50/50 from about 20-22 feet and back. It is easier though sometimes in putts closer then 10 feet or so I am push putting if I keep going high with a hybrid putt. Also have a from the chest spin only putt for winds roughly over 20 mph to roughly 30 mph but not more then 35 mph in gusts, steady at roughly over 30 mph and I switch to my Shark discs that I use as my windy putter, as well as driving putter slot, and approach disc. For my hybrid putt I use my non throwing hand as a tracking guide for all puts about 6-10 feet and out so I do not honker hyzer my putts. Sometimes though when I get in a rush with my putt I hyzer because the non throwing hand is not approximately level and is obviously lower then the throwing hand. I aim for the edge side of the basket pole the throwing hand is, wind affects the chains moving as does the last guy to putt so I find using a single chain link set a bad idea.

Last edited:

In reagards to grip I saw on Scott Stokely's YouTube in a quick tip video that the grip should have in non turbo putts both styles or flick/sidearm putts the palm firm to the edge of the disc but not to the point that you are mashing into the edge with the palm.

Put three different putter molds in your bag, preferably ones that feel entirely different from each other. Grab one at random each hole. It will feel weird because you have no consistency in hand feel...and that's the point. Your brain will be so focused on feel that it won't be focused on your actual putting stroke, which you've no doubt replicated a billion times by now. You likely just need to get your brain out of the way, and the best way to do that is to get it focused on something else.

I used to do this sort of thing with ball golf. I had different clubs with different grips, would flip flop between wearing a glove or not, etc. Point being if I was thinking about my grip on my club then my brain was too preoccupied to dick up my actual swing. But I'm a tad neurotic, so.....

I used to do this sort of thing with ball golf. I had different clubs with different grips, would flip flop between wearing a glove or not, etc. Point being if I was thinking about my grip on my club then my brain was too preoccupied to dick up my actual swing. But I'm a tad neurotic, so.....

Interesting that you say that because I actually use two different molds in my stack of 7 practice putters at home. 3 of them are beaded P1x and 4 of them are beadless P2. I also have 3 different types of plastic in the stack so basically each disc I throw feels entirely different. I do know that it has given me more confidence in putting because I know irregardless of the disc I can probably put it in the basket. Yesterday I was reading about having your wrist more "cocked" as to produce more spin more consistently. I tried it out and it did seem to have an immediate effect on spin and release. Gonna keep working that. I also gotta like chain myself to my basket at 15'-20' because I catch myself wandering back to 30', 40', and 50' way too regularly. It is just so much fun to chuck long putts to me :wall:

Interesting that you say that because I actually use two different molds in my stack of 7 practice putters at home. 3 of them are beaded P1x and 4 of them are beadless P2. I also have 3 different types of plastic in the stack so basically each disc I throw feels entirely different. I do know that it has given me more confidence in putting because I know irregardless of the disc I can probably put it in the basket. Yesterday I was reading about having your wrist more "cocked" as to produce more spin more consistently. I tried it out and it did seem to have an immediate effect on spin and release. Gonna keep working that. I also gotta like chain myself to my basket at 15'-20' because I catch myself wandering back to 30', 40', and 50' way too regularly. It is just so much fun to chuck long putts to me :wall:

Your practicing sounds similar to mine. I actually get a measuring tape out and mark 15', 20', and 25' and force myself to practice those a ton. Because yeah, it is way more fun to drain a couple 50 footers than it is to sink 10 straight from 20'. And yet, the ability to be automatic from 20' is more valuable.

Agree with the forceful wrist cock technique for spush putting too. Drive hard off the back foot, paint the pole, and forcefully unload the wrist. If I can do all three, I'm typically putting pretty good.

When I can feel my putts working, I usually throw around 950. So just maybe I can give some tips.

1. Don't pause on the downswing

2. Use fingers

3. Think about your releasepoint. Like really think about it and aim accordingly. You can also think about it as having your fingers pointed at the pole after the release.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1. Don't pause on the downswing

Is this good advice? I feel like the best putting motion is a continuous motion from bottom to top. I feel like stopping entirely at the bottom and restarting the swing can help to keep the continuous motion going. It seems to me that the putting "hitch" comes from mistiming the transition from downswing to upswing.

Is this good advice? I feel like the best putting motion is a continuous motion from bottom to top. I feel like stopping entirely at the bottom and restarting the swing can help to keep the continuous motion going. It seems to me that the putting "hitch" comes from mistiming the transition from downswing to upswing.

Might be a personal preference thing as so much of putting is. I've tried both recently and in practice i've had good luck with the downswing and upswing being two completely different and separate movements, as if the downswing is really just loading the spring... hold... then upswing. I feel it just goes against the fundamentals of an athletic movement. A slow transition is one thing but a hard stop between the down and up I think is bad.

Latest posts