• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

R.I.P. JIM WIDDICK

cocopop

Bogey Member
The founder of the Sarasota Sky Pilots, Jim Widdick (SSP#1), passed away this past week from kidney failure. He was a good man and a great ambassador to our sport. He helped design the North Water Tower park in Sarasota Fl. He lived an adventurous life as a lobbyist in Tallahassee and later began his own Workers Compensation company with his father. His entire life was dedicated to helping others and enriching the lives of all that came in contact with him. He leaves behind a daughter and wife that will miss him dearly.

He was very passionate about disc golf and was famous for his one-liners. I never passed up an opportunity to play a round with Widdick, the entertainment factor was just too high. He had a great influence on me and my game from the first time I met him, as he did for others. He was always available to help anyone, at anytime that he could, with whatever he could do for them. He used to tell me stories about Kenny Climo when he first started playing and how he used to always ask to "bum a smoke", or play someone for money. He had great respect for KC tho, and even introduced me to him when I first started playing.

Jim Widdick was a good man, and I was lucky enough to call him my friend. If you are ever in Sarasota Fl. look into his course and speak to the members of his club about him.

R.I.P. JIM WIDDICK

Sorry to hear about the loss cocopop. good men are hard to find these days. I hope his family is doing well considering the circumstances.

My condolences cocopop, sorry to hear about your loss. He sounds like a great ambassador to the sport and a great person. RIP Jim.

I just heard that there will be a Tournament at North Watertower August 30 in honor of his B-day. I understand some of the proceeds will go to his family. If any of you are in the area then, it will be a good time for all. I don't know all of the details yet, but I will post them when I do.

Thanx for the kind replies and his family is copping well.

Sorry bout that. Hope all is as good as can be for all his friends and family.

Warmest regards to his family and friends. It does seem like a terrible loss to lose someone that considerate of others. The sport needs more people of this nature, and hopefully this thread will inspire others to emulate what he had done for the sport.

RIP & here's to nothing but aces in heaven!

Sorry to hear of his passing. I never met Jim, but I imagine he is the reason behind the most fun time I have had in disc golf. Thanksgiving weekend 2004 I met a friend of mine (my non-dging brother was with me too) in Sarasota as we were in Naples and he was in Orlando - we both needed a vacation from our family vacations so we met in the middle.

We played Lakeview and then headed over to North Water Tower. We got frustratingly lost and wasted probably 45 minutes....but that was a huge blessing in disguise as we showed up right when the Sarasota Flyers "gang golf" event was about to tee off. They invited us to play and it was more fun than I could have ever imagined: a crowd of about 40-50 all pulling coolers playing best shot 4-some teams.

I have told a lot of people about that event and most people think it sounds too slow-moving to be fun.....but with the fun-loving spirit, the ribbing and the cheering it was an absolute blast! Hearing what has been said about Jim it sounds like he certainly influenced that group to a point where their cameraderie was more important than their game. Jim taught me a good lesson that day. The "spirit of the game" of old-school disc golf that Jim personified will hopefully not be lost on the younger crop of players.

My condolences to his family and his friends who will miss him greatly.

Thanx again for all the posts. His B-Day Tourney will carry the same fun-loving experience as all Tourneys at Watertower are famous for. I encourage any that are able to be there for it to come out, you will not be dissapointed. The competition is always fierce and the groups are always out for nothin but a good time.

Thank you again Dave for sharing your experience at Watertower, it is a prototypical day on the course here in Sarasota. I am glad you were able to play here.

Latest posts