• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Rank the Molds in Your Own Bag

aphilso1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
We have lots of threads dedicated to the best stable mid, or best understable fairway, or favorite beadless putter, etc. Those threads always devolve into everyone recommending the disc that they bag for the subject role, because of course you are going to think that the mold you bag is better than the competition. You picked it for a reason, right? What is much harder is picking favorites among the discs that throw regularly and love.

So my challenge to you is this – rank the molds in your own bag from favorite to least favorite, and explain why you've ordered them that way. Use whatever criteria you want, but no ties! You can't say you love all your children equally for this exercise.

And here's my own list.
1. Hatchet. Fast and flippy is the toughest combination to get right, and is very specific to an individual's arm speed, release angle, and elevation. But when you find one that works for you it is PERFECT. Hatchets fit my arm perfectly and I would be crushed if they ever got OOP'd. Heat, Fury, Roadrunner? Nope, give me a stack of Hatchets!
2. Emac Truth. I love throwing putters and mids, so my workhorse midrange mold is always going to be near the top of my favorites list. Very cyclable mold too, thanks to the wide variety of plastics available. I bag three.
3. Tursas. Because I love hyzerflipping understable discs and I love throwing mids. Really my top three molds are separated by a razor thin line.
4. Getaway. A fresh Fuzion and beat Biofuzion is a fantastic 1-2 punch for controlled fairway driver shots. The only reason the Getaway slots below my top 3 molds is that I could easily replace it with a Thunderbird or PD.
5. Judge. As said above, I love throwing mids and putters. I bag three Judges because it is my workhorse throwing putter and also my putting putter. However, I have enough bad memories of missed putts that it is hard to rank this disc higher up my list.
6. Zone. I stink at forehand, and I especially stink at forehanding slow discs. The Zone feels great, comes out clean, and saves my bacon a lot. It's not as "fun" to throw as the discs higher up my list, but it is absolutely the Goldilocks of overstable approach discs for me.
7. Trespass. Speaking of Goldilocks molds, the Trespass is a disc that fits me perfectly. Right now it is actually the only distance driver I bag, and I'm able to do so because of the range of stabilities I get based on plastic and weight combos. Why isn't the mold higher if it fits me so well? Because I prefer to throw slow discs when possible.
8. Stag. It surprised me to see the Stag so far down my own list. The Stag is a mid-stability versatile fairway and a great one at that. I do love Stags, but I'd rather hyzerflip something less stable or power up something more stable if the line allows.
9. Berg. The Berg is the perfect approach disc – unbelievably slow, neutral, and immune to the wind. But who likes approach shots? If I'm grabbing my Berg it means I probably did something wrong.
10. Felon. Felons used to be great for my game as an easier-to-use Firebird. But as my game has evolved I've gotten to where I almost never backhand a Felon, and my flick is so ugly that I'd probably be better off with an even more OS mold like a Firebird or Ahti. If I ever lose all Felons, I may actually consider trying something else out instead.
11. Evidence. A mold that suffers the mid-stability curse similar to my Stags. Not a bad disc, but if the line allows then I'd rather throw an Emac or Tursas. I also emotionally started moving on from the Evidence when DD announced it as out of production last year.

We have lots of threads dedicated to the best stable mid, or best understable fairway, or favorite beadless putter, etc. Those threads always devolve into everyone recommending the disc that they bag for the subject role, because of course you are going to think that the mold you bag is better than the competition. You picked it for a reason, right? What is much harder is picking favorites among the discs that throw regularly and love.

So my challenge to you is this – rank the molds in your own bag from favorite to least favorite, and explain why you've ordered them that way. Use whatever criteria you want, but no ties! You can't say you love all your children equally for this exercise.

This is so coincidental! I was typing up something similar to post yesterday on my lunch break. I ran out of time so I scrapped it.

Every mold I carry is for a certain type of shot, so how do I compare them let alone rank them?

I love my Wraith, but it's horrible for flip-to-flat, sub 200', late turning shots....just horrible.

I love my Mirage, but it's terrible for reaching out past 250' in the wind.

etc., etc...

1. Buzzz - easily my favorite, most versatile, BH/FH any line.
2. Leo3 - see above, just a little longer
3. Wizard - trusty putt/approach disc
4. Tb3 - when I need a stable finish
5-7. Firebird, RR, Wraith - least used, least favorite since they are so situational

1. Roc - I love throwing them, I bag 3-4. Its by far my most consistent mold, as in it goes where I think it should most of the time. Please don't ask me to pick a favorite from them.

2. DX Firebird- I'm not great with it yet but I have really enjoyed the process of figuring out some crazy lines with it. Also playing the skip is super fun when it works.

3. Cheetah - This would have been a spot higher earlier in the year. I really like the S curve flight when its brand new, and transitioning to hyzer-flipping them.

4. "Distance Driver du Jour - I have a weak arm, I like to "cheat" and get some extra distance for "free", and no I usually dont have any idea where its going.

5.Teebird - great mold, reliable, almost boring which is why its not higher.

6 Zone - probably my 2nd most consistent disc, but gets thrown the most when something has gone wrong

7.JC Aviar - due to stubborness/stupidity I throw this a lot when I should probably power down a roc, consequently this disc ends up 20-25ft short often. Can't really blame it on the disc though

8.Champ Firebird - things have gone awry and I'm trying to pull off something ridiculous when this disc comes out

I putt with a Discmania D line P2, but, in order of most used and probably most liked, except I might like the FD best of all. Lightweight discs for flick only, my sidearm stinks.

1) Westside Harp (BT Soft and/or VIP) for straight to stable, never ever flip in headwind, flick approaches and occasional tee
2) Discmania C-line FD for straight, far, very little fade, hold a line
3) Infinite Discs S-swirl Pharaoah for flip straight, far, little fade Tee shots
4) Innova DX Eagle L for backhand flip up and keep turning, land flat
5) Innova Star Teebird (150g) for stable flick approaches too far for the Harp
5.5) Dynamic Discs Licid Air Getaway 154g flick when the Eagle isn't enough
6) Discmania C-line FD3 for hyzer and spike hyzer and more fade than the FD
7) Prodigy D2 in 400 for more fade than the Pharaoah
8) Discraft Z Thrasher tailwind or for flip up and keep turning farther than the Eagle L
9) Innova Star Eagle X for more fade than FD, more finesse than the FD3
10) Innova DX Leopard for shorter s curve shots
11) Dynamic Discs Lucid Bounty for even shorter flip and turn with fade
12) Dynamic Discs Lucid Defender for really big spike hyzers
13) Discraft Z Flick for get out of jail meathook
14) Dynamic Discs Lucid X Verdict for stable mid NOT into headwind
16) MVP Neutron Spin for very tight line backhand out of woods
17) Innova DX Gator just got it, jury is still out
18) Discraft D Undertaker very light, very beat up, exclusively for tomahawks
19) forgot the Champion Sidewinder was in my bag - haven't thrown it for a while, but it's like a shorter Thrasher

Last edited:
It's hard to say but this is pretty close based on my recent rounds;

1. Flare- I carry three of these for a reason. A shot between 300-400 where a FH line is at all possible, it's probably coming out and depending on the angle the skip or stick can be quite beneficial. It is usually in any bag configuration I carry as the most prominent member.

2. Stego- the disc that I'm probably most well known for throwing and enjoy throwing a lot, I throw it a lot for hit and stick shots 250 or less, on the tee or fairway it saves be a ton of strokes.

3. Stag- my most used backhand disc and one of only a hand full I've aced with. Great for hyzerflips, turnovers and even the powered down straight to fade shots.

4. Justice- in between the Stego and Flare is the Justice. Working flex lines, straight to fade and putting forehands by the pin all the time.

5. Warhorse- full on Max D forehands. It would be higher, but it's rare for me to need it more than 2-3 shots per round

6. Swan2- my putting putter and straight approach disc. Super important, not glamorous but gets the job done.

7. Harp- I use it a lot for short backhands and hit and stick shots, some forehand use but mainly backhand hyzers.

8. Tyrant- my I need to throw a low hard backhand 350 and it can't flip disc. I use it a ton on certain courses, almost none on others. Has won me $35 in CTP money this year.

9. Bard- go to midrange, mainly for backhand. Use it off the tee some, and for backhand shots in between the Harp and Tyrant.

10. Warship- the ideal floaty mid to hit and hold a straight line. Depending on the course I may throw it a ton or not at all.

11. Kahu- this is actually an amazing disc, and the one I can throw the farthest backhand, but me throwing a Max D backhand only happens on certain courses, and even then only a few times per round.

There are so many discs that cycle in and out of my travel bag that I won't list those. Almost too many good discs these days.

Tough to rank them because I bag them since I like them. I'd say it comes down to confidence each. I know if things aren't clicking and I don't know what to do then I'll pick up a Teebird.

1. Teebird
2. Warlock
3. Leopard3
4. Roc
5. Comet
6. Zone
7. Shryke
8. Firebird
10. Wasp
11. Force

1. Teebird - This disc is the perfect straight to fade driver out there. Any shot that's over 325' that just requires straight to fade, I'm tossing this. It's predictable (less so in the wind but not by much) and only straightens up in flight over time.

2. Diamond Wizard - The quintessential driving putter. Goes far, flies straight and has the glide to slowly lower itself to the ground. It is pretty forgiving and HSS too.

3. Roc - Roc+ (sacrilege to consider this a "true roc" but consider this only the category of discs called a "roc") for rope throws and something that I need to turnover. 30yr Rocs for anything under 325' or what I think is 325'. R-pro Roc+ or Rocs for minimal ground action. Star Rocs for really everything else.

4. Firebird/FL - Sexton or Star/Champion as a general overstable driver. Out to 350' I have some that are worn in that are the most predictable discs for this slot.

5. 750 F3 - Best turnover fairway made. Leopards are fantastic too but a little more stable out of the box.

6. Rhyno/AviarX3 - overstable putter for those situations either forehand or backhand.

7. Drivers over speed 10 - I don't really throw anymore. But These go in if the wind kicks up or I need something to go over 400' with certainty. Destroyer > Surge > Beast is typically what goes here. I usually bag two of whichever one makes it in for the day.

8. KCPro Aviars - These are at the bottom because there are so many putters that can replace them and I do that often for fun.

That's all that is in my bag right now.

I won't rank everything in the bag but I'll rank my top three.

#1- Discmania FD- possibly my favorite disc and definitely one of my most thrown discs. If I ever have doubts about which disc to throw I don't overthink it and just grab an FD.

#2- my current flavor of whichever overstable putter I am bagging. Could be a Harp, Zone or Pig depending on my mood and the course but one of those three is always in the bag for upshot duties.

#3- an S-line or C-line P2. If I don't have room to use the Harp/Zone/Pig and need a really straight line to the basket through a tight gap I'll probably be throwing a P2.

Honorable mention goes to the Axiom Envy. It's the best throwing putter out there but for some reason it is always coming in and out of the bag.

I've recently discovered the joy of DX Rocs so they also get a special honorable mention as well.

1. Millennium OLF - I was a fan before, then I found a beat SOLF at PIAG. Flippy OLF has to be the easiest controllable distance for a noodle arm like me. I bag a beat OLF, seasoned OLF, and fresh OLF. Fresh OLF is almost a firebird without the monster skip, which leads me to
2. Star Firebird - finally added a firebird to the bag and ditched the DX banshees. I now see what all the hype is about. This disc is far more workable than I realized and is a dream for power sidearm throws. It also has the same wing as the OLF so all my drivers feel the same from Firebird to flippy OLF.
3. Harp - beat Orgio harp is my main approach disc, I think of it like my version of Calvins champ Rhyno. Backhand, I can throw it as hard as I can and it won't turn over, but powers down awesome and is my go to for long hyzer putts. Also my wind putter. VIP harp is my "zone" perfect for forehand upshots, flex shots, etc

Besides putting, these three molds are probably 90% of my shots

1 KC or Conrad Aviar - Putt for $$

2 JK Aviar - Driving putter, favorite disc 250' in

3 Ω SuperSoft - Approach disc, favorite from 150' in

4 Teebird/3 - Go to Stable/OS driver up to about 420'

5 Gazelle - Workhorse, touchy fairway drives. Can cover ~250-350'

6 Aurora MS/QMS - Straight lines 300' in

7 Orion LF - One of my favorite drivers, can get these out 450'+. More accurate than a 12 speed and farther than a fairway.

8 Exodus - 400' in, when the TB has too much fade or not enough turn

9 Scorpius/Destroyer - Distance. Not used terribly often unless the course has some bomber holes.

10 Tank - Utility/OS driving putter, when the JK doesn't have enough stability

11 Draco/Firebird - Go-to forehand and thumber disc, but I avoid FH if possible. Somewhat rarely used but also crucial utility.

12 Taurus - OS midrange duty, not my most used disc but great at what it does

13 Roadrunner - Rarely used, more for getting out of trouble/rollers than anything else.

14 Gator - If I pull the gator out, I'm in trouble. Rarely used.

Rank the molds in your own bag from favorite to least favorite, and explain why you've ordered them that way. Use whatever criteria you want, but no ties!

Great idea for a thread :thmbup: - I love overanalyzing my discs!

1. KC Pro Roc: I bag 3 at the moment, but it's been as high as 6. What hasn't already been said about the Roc... it's one of the most popular molds for a reason. I prefer a stiff plastic, which is why I gravitate towards KC over DX or XT. Rocs are especially versatile where I live in Charlotte, NC. There are soooo many 250' - 300' controlled shots through the woods, which is why I reach for the Roc more than any other disc. Also, it must be said: Roc > Roc3

2. KC Pro Aviar: Great for putting (obviously) and has been a go-to mold for many people over the years. I started on these and I have come back to them recently after putting with the Warden (which isn't too much different than an Aviar). I love Aviars for everything from upshots to drives off the tee. I throw these at about 250' and in.

3. Pro Leopard: For me, Leopards are just longer Rocs. In fact, I can pump a Leopard out almost as far as a high-speed driver. They're very similar to Rocs in the way you can control them. In the Pro plastic you can cycle them over time to get a variety of shots. Out of the box, they're among the easiest molds to hyzer-flip. I can probably reach 350' consistently with my Leopards.

4. Champ Teebird: Consistent, stable driver. I've always had a Teebird in the bag over the years. For me, they fly straight and have a consistent late fade. The one I have in my bag at the moment compliments my Leopards well. I throw Teebirds 300' - 325' consistently.

5. Star Caiman: I know Zones are super popular, but when it comes to the overstable, up-shot slot I prefer something a little bit faster. I got a Caiman the weekend the disc was released and it really hasn't ever left the bag. I dabbled with the Pig for a while, but the Caiman always felt better in the hand for forehands and backhands.

6. Wraith (any plastic): Sometimes a high-speed driver is what you need, and my go-to is the Wraith. I have Pro Wraiths that I can hyzer-flip, Star Wraiths for something a bit more stable and domey Champ Wraiths for long, glidy shots. Anything more overstable than this is useless for me at this speed. At my max I can get a Wraith out to 400' (easier said than done on the course however).

7. Champ Wombat3: Worth a try if you've never thrown a Wombat. A great disc for turning shots in the woods. I can get sneaky distance with my Wombat3 (probably due to the stability).

As you can see, I'm a very traditional Innova thrower. I wouldn't say I'm "brand loyal", just started with these discs because they were accessible and got used to it.

1. JB Zone, because this is my choice for one disc rounds. It does great for driving, for upshots, and I can putt with it. It is reliable. When beating in, it doesn't lose its value.

2. D P3, because ranking my putting putter (that I can throw well too) after drivers seems to be strange. My P3 gets more usage than all the other discs combined. There's no way I can place it later. (It's not as longliving and not as well suited for throwing as the Zone, thus it comes in second.)

3. S/ES Teebird, because this is the best allround driver I have. If I could play only one driver mold for any conditions, I'd pick a S/ES Teebird.

4. S Valkyrie, because this is my other main driver. Usually I tend to use it more often, but it's not as reliable and versatile for me, as the Teebird.

Now auxiliary discs start; one could cut here.

5. Lucid Felon, because that's the last of the important discs in my bag. A disc with dependable fade for shots no other disc can perform.

6. ESP Comet, because a Comet has clearly the nicest flight out of all discs. However, I bag it only occasionally and use it least of my discs (... probably something I should change).

7. M OLF, because that's only my backup disc. Not a bad disc, but my slots are already filled with better ones.

I like this challenge to rank the discs, because it's difficult for me to put the Zone in place. If only one disc then this one, but if I play two disc rounds then it's one driver and my putting putter. Still I think that the versatility and reliability of the Zone makes it a good #1. (A quite long-standing personal best on one course I play was a one disc Zone round. That speaks for itself.)

1 KC or Conrad Aviar - Putt for $$

2 JK Aviar - Driving putter, favorite disc 250' in

3 Ω SuperSoft - Approach disc, favorite from 150' in

4 Teebird/3 - Go to Stable/OS driver up to about 420'

5 Gazelle - Workhorse, touchy fairway drives. Can cover ~250-350'

6 Aurora MS/QMS - Straight lines 300' in

7 Orion LF - One of my favorite drivers, can get these out 450'+. More accurate than a 12 speed and farther than a fairway.

8 Exodus - 400' in, when the TB has too much fade or not enough turn

9 Scorpius/Destroyer - Distance. Not used terribly often unless the course has some bomber holes.

10 Tank - Utility/OS driving putter, when the JK doesn't have enough stability

11 Draco/Firebird - Go-to forehand and thumber disc, but I avoid FH if possible. Somewhat rarely used but also crucial utility.

12 Taurus - OS midrange duty, not my most used disc but great at what it does

13 Roadrunner - Rarely used, more for getting out of trouble/rollers than anything else.

14 Gator - If I pull the gator out, I'm in trouble. Rarely used.

That's a good looking bag. Surprised at Teebird/Exodus/Gazelle but no QJLS ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good looking bag. Surprised at Teebird/Exodus/Gazelle but no QJLS ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I bag a QJ in my casual bag (no TB, GZ, or EX), I've just had a hard time getting backups of the QJs I've liked a lot. I'll get a freshie that's OS when I needed straight, or US when I need a stable/OS replacement. Easier to just balance the other three molds out of the box, and that's not usually my strategy.

Tier 1
Number One With A Bullet) Raptor- My favorite disc that I've ever thrown. I'm at my most confident when I've got one in my hand.
2)- Zeus/Destroyer- I bag them interchangeably. Feels so good to get a clean rip on a 12 5 -1 3 driver. Also so cool to see a disc fly through the air on such a crazy path but still land where you wanted it to.
3) A3- I've tried a butt-ton of approach discs, and the A3 is the most unique HSS/LSS combo I've tried, and much like a Raptor, I feel like the A3 is going where I want it to 100% of the time if I do my job.
4) Comet- I barely ever throw it, but it was the first disc for me that had a magical flight, and when I need it, that magic returns. If this was a Favorite Flight To Watch list, Comet would be #1 by a mile.
Tier 2
5) Pilot- My putter and an excellent thrower. It goes straight. Boring but absolutely necessary.
6) Stabilizer- Compliments my A3 flight perfectly. Has a putter flight with the HSS of a Harp, and doesn't fade too hard.
Tier 3 (my "sometimes" discs)
7) Anax- Exactly what I want with controlled distance. 90% of my max distance with barely any left to right movement.
8) Force-My windy distance driver. Trusty flight, enough to be a security blanket during rounds where my form is off.
9) Deflector- Aggressively OS and feels great. I like it 3% more than the Justice and that's why it's in the bag.
10) Drift- Easy hyzer flip/finish right BH shots. Also AMAZING for FH late turning shots through the woods that mimic a spike hyzer but penetrate rather than hyzering.
11) Undertaker- A little more workable than an Anax for me, if I need a little more D than my mids and I want it to go dead straight and land in a bucket, that's the Undertaker's job.
12) Buzzz- Kinda wish I threw it more, ends up losing tiebreakers most of the time when I'm between discs, but does some magical stuff when it actually gets thrown, though.
Tier 4 (new additions/auditioning for a spot)
13) Wasp- Lately I've been trying out mods that are a tick more stable than a Buzzz for me, and I think the Z Wasp is the flight I've been looking for. Only in the bag a few rounds but I'm thinking it may stay.
14) Surge- Almost wishful thinking keeping this in the bag, never had a crazy need for this slot, but I wish I did, we'll see how long I keep fooling myself!
15) Pro Roc3- Like a Comet that I can put some juice into. I enjoy it, but again, I don't know if it'll stick or not.
Tier 5 (I don't think I like it but I need the shot from somewhere)
16) Hades- Too squirrelly to trust in the air, but I sometimes need a roller, and I know I can get this thing on the ground.

Latest posts