• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Rattler

All right. I'm hooked. After just reading Mark Ellis' review of the Rattler, I'm definitely buying one soon. I love the Zeppelin for many of the reasons described, and the Rattler is still in production, so finding them won't be hard.

Gotta try this thing out and start making some long runs at the chains. I usually use my Ion, but it's stability is hard to control without it hyzering out, or blowing by if you miss.

What weight do you all suggest? 170?

Last edited:
The last D's I had (ian. has them now) were fairly firm compared to my Memorial UVs. I really liked the plastic, but I prefer the Polecat. The Rattler was just too deep.

The Lightning Upshot #1 is exactly that. A shallower Rattler. Same flight, but not as tall.

I would recommend the Polecat over the Rattler. It's a little more shallow and more comfortable in the hand. I've thrown Rattlers, Polecats, and Sonics all around 175. If you want the most glide, you'll want to look at lighter weights, like 150. If you want some wind resistance, go heavier.

The Lightning Upshot #1 is exactly that. A shallower Rattler. Same flight, but not as tall.

I'm in love with the Polecat, but I'll have to take a look at an Upshot if I see one in stores.

Last edited:
Thanks Tbird. I think I'll stick with DC on this one. Gotta support Michigan's two manufacturers.

My dad uses the Rattler as his main putter and the Sonic as his approach putter. He can just loft that Sonic in there with ease. Point and shoot. And i haven't seen him miss a putt in a good long while.

Hopefully Discraft does a run of them in a little more flexible plastic. The Deep Dish (as my dad calls the Rattler) is good but that thing is brick hard.

My dad uses the Rattler as his main putter and the Sonic as his approach putter. He can just loft that Sonic in there with ease. Point and shoot. And i haven't seen him miss a putt in a good long while.

Hopefully Discraft does a run of them in a little more flexible plastic. The Deep Dish (as my dad calls the Rattler) is good but that thing is brick hard.

The UV Rattlers from the Memorial a couple years ago are pretty flexible. They aren't super easy to find, but they're out there, and they're pretty awesome.

that thing is brick hard.

Hmm. The Pro D on my five Zeppelins is a bit flexy, and buttery. That's one of the things I love about them. So Rattlers are stiff? Oh well, still have to at least try one.

Hmm. The Pro D on my five Zeppelins is a bit flexy, and buttery. That's one of the things I love about them. So Rattlers are stiff? Oh well, still have to at least try one.

Depends on the run. Rattlers that they ran a couple of years ago are brick hard. A current run that showed up at PIAS was more flexible and rubbery feeling. I realy liked them. I would recommend calling a place like Marshallstreet and ask them if they have some from the current run if you want something more flexible. The Rattler is worth the trouble to figure out. Its one of my favorite discs.

I enjoyed throwing my rattler. I'm not a fan of pro d plactic, but this one was def more flexiable and grippy. Kinda felt like a firmer soft x. I hit some really long eagle and birdie putts with it......but then my dog ate it!

I used a Rattler when I first started playing and liked it pretty good. moved to Voodoo, then Wizards. I picked up another Rattler a few months ago and put it in my bag this past weekend to use for approaches and nailed a 60ft putt for a much needed birdie.

Is it finally happening? Are we finally going to see the lid like putter renaissance I have oft dreamed of?

willowy elocution aside the Rattler is an excellent disc. It is shaped like a micro ultrastar but the same weight (up to 175g). the Rattler is also surprisingly stable for an LLP. for a long time it was very hard for me to choose between the Rattler and the Polecat. The nail in the coffin was the grip. I liked the square feeling grip of the polecat over the rattler. The rattler is a bit more of a hoss than the polecat though. Also the plastic runs in the rattler can vary wildly. still an excellent disc. I think DC should run some in ESP just for fun.

I would recommend the Polecat over the Rattler. It's a little more shallow and more comfortable in the hand. I've thrown Rattlers, Polecats, and Sonics all around 175. If you want the most glide, you'll want to look at lighter weights, like 150. If you want some wind resistance, go heavier.

I'm in love with the Polecat, but I'll have to take a look at an Upshot if I see one in stores.
On the weight tip I'll add that it can be challenging powering down from regular golf discs to a light lid style disc at first. I actually like my Polecat a bit heavier so that it feels more like a golf disc than a beach frisbee. Even heavy ones give you enough float to be great for approaching but for more finesse, frisbee style maneuvers the lighter ones are more responsive.

On the weight tip I'll add that it can be challenging powering down from regular golf discs to a light lid style disc at first. I actually like my Polecat a bit heavier so that it feels more like a golf disc than a beach frisbee. Even heavy ones give you enough float to be great for approaching but for more finesse, frisbee style maneuvers the lighter ones are more responsive.

Sounds like I need to take my 150 out for a spin. Even though the premi feels insanely light, the 150 still managed to feel too light to carry. After just adding a Diamond to my backhand discs this weekend (holy cow what a machine!), the 'cat shouldn't feel so featherweight.

My eyes have been opened...

I had no intention of getting a Rattler when I was at the store, but I just happened to grab it while I was flipping through discs at the store. I play quite a bit of ultimate and have been searching for an ultrastar like disc forever, and when I picked this up it was just too familiar. I've been putting with wizards for the past 5 years and I never thought the day would come where I would replace them. I think the big thing for me is that when I run at the basket or make putts, I feel like im playing catch with the basket - I step out like im throwing around a mark in ultimate and give it an air bounce. I can hold lines just like an ultrastar whether I throw backhand or forehand.

I am curious to see what it would be like in other plastics, but as far as I can tell DC only runs them in Pro D. Also now curious to try out similar discs - I don't like the way the polecat feels and how square the rim is, but I ordered a sonic since it has grip rings like an ultra star.

This is my new favorite disc for sure.

I am curious to see what it would be like in other plastics, but as far as I can tell DC only runs them in Pro D. Also now curious to try out similar discs - I don't like the way the polecat feels and how square the rim is, but I ordered a sonic since it has grip rings like an ultra star.

This is my new favorite disc for sure.

Rattlers have been run in some limited plastics (glow a long time ago and recently UV for the 2012(?) Memorial). I don't have a glow, but the UVs are considerably softer than the Ds and change colors in the sun!

oh how i love the Rattler.. great for warming up playing catch, pin point up shots and drives and well my old blue .. for aces :p

I was a Rec. Director at a camp. I started the campers playing Ultimate Frisbee to the camp in '05. This year I told them we would be using a smaller disc so it wouldn't feel so bulky to throw.... I was actually using a Rattler so I could practice my putting, and upshots.
3ri1uz.jpg

Just ordered 3 Rattlers. Can't wait to get them in and test 'em out. It'll be my first time throwing a true lid.