• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

replacing discs during a tournament

scotnt73

Birdie Member
During a tournament if you lose a disc can you get a backup out of your car at the turn or can a friend hand you a replacement disc from his bag?

During a tournament if you lose a disc can you get a backup out of your car at the turn or can a friend hand you a replacement disc from his bag?

Yes and Yes as long as the discs are legal for PDGA play.

Yes. I did this when I was first starting playing tournaments out at Fountain Hills. I parked my truck at roughly the halfway point of the course and re-stocked the discs that I lost. Everyone that saw me do it tried to call an infraction, but were unable to cite the rule that prevented me from doing it.

You can even buy discs from an onsite vendor in the middle of the round, I've seen that done when someone lost a disc they didn't think they could cover with any of the others in their bag. :p

Yes. I did this when I was first starting playing tournaments out at Fountain Hills. I parked my truck at roughly the halfway point of the course and re-stocked the discs that I lost. Everyone that saw me do it tried to call an infraction, but were unable to cite the rule that prevented me from doing it.

Yup. Tell them that if they can find the rule stating that this is illegal, you'll happily be disqualified from the tournament. Until they can find that rule, shut up and let me play.

I've used other people's putters before. A couple of us have a tap-in at the same time and I left my mini way back at my bag. Wait for someone else to tap in, ask to borrow their putter, tap in my putt, hand it back.

I've done the strategic vehicle parking (Hampton Park), and the mid-round purchase. Haven't thrown someone else's disc during a tournament, yet.

This rule, or really lack thereof, also extends to partners throwing each others discs in doubles. I was mistaken for a long time about this one until I saw a thread on here a couple of years back, thanks DGCR!

Wouldn't it make more sense to pass a rule that states that the discs that you begin a round with are the discs you must use?

Wouldn't it make more sense to pass a rule that states that the discs that you begin a round with are the discs you must use?
No, because we are not ball golf.

That and it would be a logistical nightmare to enforce.

I thought that was the rule, to be honest. It would certainly change a player's strategy if he knew he couldn't replace a disc, should he lose it.

It would mainly mean players would carry more discs, favoring the huge backpacks and carts.

Unless you also limited the number of discs that could be carried, which would be even worse.

No, because on a course that plays around the edge of a lake that has several consecutive holes with a forced water carry of 250-300' where you're regularly throwing into gusting 20-30 mph headwinds with the basket placed 15-25' from the water's edge (see Buckhorn, 8-11), such a rule creates a situation where players who start on those holes and lose discs (and the 2-3 holes immediately prior to them) at a distinct disadvantage vs. those who start on the holes immediately after them.

It would mainly mean players would carry more discs, favoring the huge backpacks and carts.

Unless you also limited the number of discs that could be carried, which would be even worse.

Ball golf limits the number of clubs that can be carried. Not saying disc golf should apply the same rule, but it would be interesting to watch tournament rounds where pro's could only carry say, 20 discs and replacements of lost discs couldn't be done until the round is over.

Ball golf limits the number of clubs that can be carried. Not saying disc golf should apply the same rule, but it would be interesting to watch tournament rounds where pro's could only carry say, 20 discs and replacements of lost discs couldn't be done until the round is over.

What's the ball golf limit on balls carried during a round? Because that's the more apt analogy in this case, IMO. You don't see clubs getting lost during a round very often. Balls, on the other hand, end up at the bottom of a water hazard or lost in the rough about as often as discs do.

The obvious distinction is that golfers rarely lose their clubs.

20 isn't much of a limitation. You should be able to lose several discs and have adequate replacements. If you set a much lower limit, it gets interesting. If it's 10 or 12, or even less, players have to be selective about what they carry---even if they don't anticipate losing anything.

It would be interesting as an trial, but not as a general rule.

You also don't accidentally throw said golf club in a body of water. Apples and oranges. The ball is the equivalent of the disc in your equation.

There is no limit to how many balls you can have in a golf tournament, however they all must be the same make and model. You can't have 1 dozen pro-v1's and then a seperate dozen pro-v1x's. Also just like our big brother sport they all must be marked and easily identified as yours.

I think what makes this interesting is that in ball golf you can have as many balls as you want but you can't add more to the bag during a round and if you run out during the round it is immediate DQ.
Where as in DG you can add disc during the round if you lose one.... score one for DG!