• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Ridge: Medium vs Firm?

spinnin' discs

Bogey Member
I'm looking to buy a Ridge as I need a new driving putter. I have thrown a Soft Sole, and Medium O-Lace and Ibex. I really enjoy the feel of medium, and I am afraid hard would be too stiff and a little less forgiving.

I throw medium ridge from time to time and I like it. Throws very well and straight with decent fade. Almost no turn unless you crank on it. I don't think I would Luke it any firmer.

Of topic, but how floppy is your soft Sole?? Ia it blowfly soft , r-pro soft, or somewhere in between?

I got both in the mail. I can't wait to decide for myself. I briefly fooled around with both and firm seemed to be easier from me to grip and rip. The floppiness of the medium was harder for me to get a clean release with. I really like the hit and stick potential of the medium though, not only for drives and approaches, but also for reducing chain outs.

Also, I have 2 voodoos and a Soft Wizard. Should I still get a ridge? Would it be worth it to try out?

Ridges are great. More hss than wizards and ions. nicely wind resistant. Easier to throw clean too. Might as well try one IMO. I really like them for driving and approach. Putting is good too. I prefer firm for driving and putting.

I just decided to switch from using an Omega SS (started using that the year it came out) and have a Ridge in the medium and one in the soft. To this point, I don't find the soft to limit distance in any fashion--if the release is clean, it flies just like any firm disc. There aren't many holes I drive with a putter, so perhaps it'd make a difference on longer holes. I drive with the soft disc when I want minimum skipping off hard ground.

The floppiness of the medium was harder for me to get a clean release with.

Do you have an X-Link Firm and X-Link or an X-Link and X-Link Soft? I ask because the soft is very floppy and the medium (X-Link) isn't floppy. I don't have an X-Link Firm to compare to the medium, I just don't find my medium to be floppy, at all.

Just curious.

Edit: Just compared my medium Ridge to my Omega SSes. The X-Link material is much firmer than the SS--and that SS material isn't really very floppy, as these things go.

Last edited:
I love the ridge as an approach disc and a driving putter. The one I have is medium. It sticks where it lands and doesn't roll away.

You are correct, the medium isn't as floppy as a soft and clean release isn't really an issue for mediums either. If I was to say one was easier for me to get a clean release between firm and medium it would be the firm. The vibram putters I have the most experience with is the firm and medium VP, this is what I mostly based my comment on

Depending on where you live: Soft is great in the winter time when it is cold and wet. Medium is great year round. I only use my firm discs when the temp is above 60 degrees(ish).

I drive a medium and a light firm that is beat up, and putt with firms. I saw a Mcflysohigh video on YouTube and Dana V. the vibram pro was putting firm ridges and throwing medium.

Just received my Firm and Medium Ridge today. After a long day at my local course I have come to the conclusion that I like the Medium more for putts and the Firm off the tee. They both fly pretty similar off the tee and for approaches though.

I turbo putt a lot and I prefer the added friction that medium provides on my fingertips. I'd say Medium has less low speed glide than Firm. The Firm Ridge was easier to release cleanly on hard rips and had a little more glide, that's why I like it off the tee.

It wasn't exactly a seamless transition from throwing Wizards, but I made a few nice shots. I think I'll work with them over the next few months and see where I'm at before I fully decide on bagging them or not. I expect the Firm to break in a little more than the Medium by then.

I'd say it's more of a personal preference than an actual difference in performance between Medium and Firm out of the box. It sounds like Dana Vicich, one of Vibram's top sponsored pro players, prefers the exact opposite of what I like. He's rated higher and has way better lettuce than me, so maybe his preferences are more practical.