• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ridiculously overpriced disc of the day...

I should add that it's super tough to make decent money on Discs. My big strategy was to buy real low and sell as high as I could. I usually turned lightweight items I thrifted for around $1 (from garage sales, thrift stores, etc.) and sold with free shipping for $20. (You get way more sales by offering "free shipping" and simply adding the cost to the sale of the item). I'd net about $11 per item. For the 30 to 45 minutes I'd spend on each item getting everything just right, from the photos to the listing itself (it being well written and researched), I wanted to make the same hourly rate I would at a normal job. The money I brought home was worth the trouble but nothing I was getting rich off of. For sure, I hit some home runs, like the coffee mug I bought for $0.25 that I sold for over $150 (something very collectible among Japanese people), but there were a lot of things I listed for $20 that never moved as well. The result was basically making about $15/hour for the time I spent, and I'd say I was the Disc Golf equivalent of a good Am-1 eBay seller.

Having to buy Golf Discs and flip them for profit wouldn't work nearly this well. It'd be different if somebody was just selling off their own old stock, or heaven forbid, selling found Discs out of the pond...

$13,000 Eagle?

Eagle

Also while we're complaining about Ebay . . . twice in the past year I bought discs at a good price, had the seller generate a USPS tracking number . . . and the disc was never actually dropped at the post office. Both times the sellers were essentially non-communicative . . . eventually had to contact Ebay and get my money back (which I did). I assume it's a scam hoping that you either (1) forget you ordered it or (2) string you along until the time to request a refund is gone. Since those experiences I don't bother ordering off Ebay unless it's someone with 100+ transactions and a good feedback record. Just not worth it.

$13,000 Eagle?

Eagle

Also while we're complaining about Ebay . . . twice in the past year I bought discs at a good price, had the seller generate a USPS tracking number . . . and the disc was never actually dropped at the post office. Both times the sellers were essentially non-communicative . . . eventually had to contact Ebay and get my money back (which I did). I assume it's a scam hoping that you either (1) forget you ordered it or (2) string you along until the time to request a refund is gone. Since those experiences I don't bother ordering off Ebay unless it's someone with 100+ transactions and a good feedback record. Just not worth it.

I've had good luck with eBay in the limited times I've used it the last couple years. But as you say, I don't buy from random joe schmoes with no reviews.

the incorrect descriptions of discs on ebay bothers me more than anything. the picture usually clears it up pretty quickly if you know your discs (and the stamp isn't worn off) but it makes everything a bit suspect.

as i was just saying...

eBay said:
Paul McBeth Game Thrown PD2/Destroyer from 2015 Worlds - RARE Disc Golf History

I believe they were making PD2's out of the same mold as Destroyers at the time. This disc has the feel of a Brinster era Star Destroyer.

I should add that it's super tough to make decent money on Discs. My big strategy was to buy real low and sell as high as I could. I usually turned lightweight items I thrifted for around $1 (from garage sales, thrift stores, etc.) and sold with free shipping for $20. (You get way more sales by offering "free shipping" and simply adding the cost to the sale of the item). I'd net about $11 per item. For the 30 to 45 minutes I'd spend on each item getting everything just right, from the photos to the listing itself (it being well written and researched), I wanted to make the same hourly rate I would at a normal job. The money I brought home was worth the trouble but nothing I was getting rich off of. For sure, I hit some home runs, like the coffee mug I bought for $0.25 that I sold for over $150 (something very collectible among Japanese people), but there were a lot of things I listed for $20 that never moved as well. The result was basically making about $15/hour for the time I spent, and I'd say I was the Disc Golf equivalent of a good Am-1 eBay seller.

Having to buy Golf Discs and flip them for profit wouldn't work nearly this well. It'd be different if somebody was just selling off their own old stock, or heaven forbid, selling found Discs out of the pond...

I've had good luck with vintage first edition books as well as other things. I'd buy a box of books at an auction for a $1. List every one of them. They are quick to list and easy to ship. The Jehovah's Witness "bible" was a big money maker for me.

It is a lot of work, but better than taking a second job and being away from home/family. Haven't done it in years though.

I've had good luck with vintage first edition books as well as other things. I'd buy a box of books at an auction for a $1. List every one of them. They are quick to list and easy to ship. The Jehovah's Witness "bible" was a big money maker for me.

It is a lot of work, but better than taking a second job and being away from home/family. Haven't done it in years though.

Yeah, I was burned out at my former job (a vending machine route driver for 15 years) and wanted to stay with the company due to my seniority and accrued vacation time. The only thing that came up at the time was part-time, so I learned to sell on eBay on the side to put together a full paycheck. Once I was able to find another job in the shop that was full time, I quit selling on eBay. It was fun to do and rewarding too. Getting good at it separates those who make it worth their time v.s. the people who take dark blurry pictures on their dirty carpet and make way less than minimum wage for their time.

I never could find used Discs for a good buy that would bring me enough money to be worth the trouble, except for selling off some of my old stuff to raise funds and get the operation going. Sold some SE Soft Rhynos kind of beaten up for like $35-$50 each. Also a Champion Eagle from about 2001 for like $70. Etc. But they were just sitting in my basement and I had already bought them years and years ago. You're lucky to EVER find Disc Golf stuff at garage sales. Making $5 of net profit on a Disc is about what you normally get. It's way easier to buy a vintage hat for $1 or less, sell it for $20, and net $11 on it for 15 minutes of work.

Last edited:
Why would McBeth sign a certificate of authenticity for a disc??? Is this a common practice with sports/movie stars regarding memorabilia?

I don't collect sports memorabilia, but I've definitely heard of certificates of authenticity for certain sports memorabila items, such as jerseys, bats, balls, gloves, helmets, etc.

It's more than just a thing, because the market for sports artifacts specifically linked with historic events like breaking HR records or winning championships, is so strong and commands such high prices, that buyers of rare collectibles need some sort of protection to shell out that much moolah.

While I don't know how items are actually authenticated, it's hard to imagine a better way than the athlete themselves actually signing something saying, "Yep, this is the one."

Last edited:
I don't collect sports memorabilia, but I've definitely heard of certificates of authenticity for certain sports memorabila items, such as jerseys, bats, balls, gloves, helmets, etc.

It's more than just a thing, because the market for sports artifacts specifically linked with historic events like breaking HR records or winning championships, is so strong and commands such high prices, that buyers of rare collectibles need some sort of protection to shell out that much moolah.

While I don't know how items are actually authenticated, it's hard to imagine a better way than the athlete themselves actually signing something saying, "Yep, this is the one."

I think I can give some good answers. Back in the 2000's I collected autographed NFL mini helmets from every team, and a few full-size helmets. Also, two autographed jerseys from the Fearsome Foursome, and Roman Gabriel. L.A Rams fan. My last purchase more than a dozen years ago. I also have sales experience and I like to haggle for my own purchases.

-Certificates of Authenticity are very important, because you're not likely to witness the autograph. The certificate tells me that the original purchaser witnesses the signatures. Some of my certificates also have a photo of the athlete writing the autograph.

I did a little bit of internet surfing for these thoughts:

The Disc

-I would compare the disc to a baseball that was hit in a game winning homerun in the World Series, such as a game 3 or 4, but not a series clincher. The baseball only used for one at bat. The Disc thru out the 2015 Worlds, and to me more value.

-The dirt on the disc, more value! I know it was used for Worlds in play, and not something that was signed off of the production line.

-The signature from Paul, more value! He signed it as "my disc" marking it as his during play, and not signing a disc off of the production line. The signature and disc originally weren't intended to be sold.

-I like the color scheme on the disc.

The Purchase is the 20k worth it.

- There's a 25k 1983 Eagle 1st run with no patent that I have no interest in, for my purposes very little value. Paul's disc more valuable to me.

-No other Worlds disc I could find from Paul in the market, if correct increases value.

-I couldn't find anything by Ken Climo either that was in play during Worlds. More value.

-How many Worlds and other Majors do I think Paul will win? More value.

-Worth repeating and must be found out, any other discs Paul used in play during Worlds floating around out there, and how many. If others, could this disc be the first.

Would I buy it.

Sure, if I wouldn't miss the money. But I would:

-I would try to reach out to Paul and ask, " why did you let go of the disc". And asking, "are there any other World's disc floating out there".

-If possible, I would want to see the disc in person, I would never buy for that amount without examining it. The seller makes the mistake of stating "I think". Well, "I think" I would like to haggle the price down and that works best if done face to face.

Bottom line if I wanted to spend the money, I would be walking out of there with the disc. Over time it will have more value and would look nice with my other collections.

There're my two cents.

Not sure how James Conrad is doing for money, but he owns a particular disc that may be worth a wee bit of coin...(no, not old greenie)

Speaking of...any takers for a disc that has hit OVER 100 different trees? 22 different species...38 different courses in 10 states.
Bidding starts at $22,000.

Not sure how James Conrad is doing for money, but he owns a particular disc that may be worth a wee bit of coin...(no, not old greenie)

Speaking of...any takers for a disc that has hit OVER 100 different trees? 22 different species...38 different courses in 10 states.
Bidding starts at $22,000.

Last I heard he still bags and throws that disc (green/yellow envy) at least in early 2022. I'm no collector and I'm a big believer that discs are meant to be thrown, but damn if I was him I'd certainly make an exception with that one. Hell I'd bet the IDGC down in Georgia would make a spot somewhere for that one to hang.

Latest posts