• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rit dye questions

This seems like a good enough thread for this question: I need a brushable mixture that dyes relatively fast. I have some vinyl masks that are small, 4x3, with a players "logo", pdga number, and phone number he wants me to dye into the back of a set of discs I am doing for him. any ideas? Acetone or Alcohol mixes are fine, I have plenty of both, also have access to any other solvents.
I have to ship 10 discs by tomorrow afternoon, so I have today to get this done. :/

Just mask out the bottom of the face plate and sppon the warm dye in and let set for 15 mins. You could do all 10 at once

I would do that except the vinyl masks are 4 x 3. and not a circle. kind of like a stencil except non reusable. lol. had em made that way in thoughts I could just batch up a bit of black brushable.. Been tinkering with it a bit this morning..

Acetone works. But it eats the sticky on the vinyl pretty easy if you aren't careful. Also need to do a couple layers to get a nice dark rich color. Heard good things about alcohol and rit. I mix my rit with liquid laundry detergent and paint with that. But I have never used black that way. You can float the disc in a pan of water (painted side up) to add heat and speed up the dye process.

Bigmanbailye's mix, i've had good results using it. Leave it on for 5 minutes, wipe and repeat til you get the color you want.

2 parts liquid rit
1 to 1.5 parts acetone
.5 parts dish soap

Thanks.. I'll give bigman's a try, I had thought of doing the reverse heat method, but since a couple of dyes won't be "set" until tomorrow... could almost foresee a catastrophe happening. :/

i have taken 1/5 of that brown and mixed it with 3/5 tan and 1/5 golden yellow. now you know the secret formulation for urine.

godspeed

i have taken 1/5 of that brown and mixed it with 3/5 tan and 1/5 golden yellow. now you know the secret formulation for urine.

godspeed

i'm sure you can add or subtract tan and yellow to show dehydration? :gross:

Okay this seems like a good place to post this, I just got a nice dark purple champ monarch. I'm thinking black is the only option but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with other colors on this plastic.

Well, you can really only dye darker, so it's gonna be black, or something close to black like navy blue, dark green, etc. Red might be noticeable, but not sure...

Okay this seems like a good place to post this, I just got a nice dark purple champ monarch. I'm thinking black is the only option but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with other colors on this plastic.

doesn't matter the color it's going to look darker, you can do some cool things, just going to look dark. got a pic?

DSCN4456.jpg

DSCN4459.jpg

I would love to try to get some red on it, but really just want to knock this one out of the park so any ideas on colors that may pop would be great.

nice color. I think if it were me I'd do something on the inside just to keep that color on the rim, or do just the inner flight plate.. maybe both? get some red behind with a black pattern on the front giving it some depth. I just keep seeing red flames on the back with a castle or the roman collesium on the front. But that's just thinking of it being a monarch. you could also make it look like a pool of blood with a body on the front. (Hamlet).. 5:30am and I am thinking death and destruction. :(

Last edited:
ok im considering doing the good ol' capitan america shield lol (cliche i know) .... but i wanna make sure my circles are acurate..... HOW TO DO THAT??? lol... also i need to remask each color right?? or it'll come out purple?

thanks in advance

I do have a question about powder Rit and acetone. Do you dissolve the Rit directly in the acetone to get a nice rich color for the discs? Or do I need to first dissolve the powder in water?
I'm looking to do a no heat application.

I'm looking for a blue that will give me a cyan look dyed on a white star disc. Has anyone done something like this?
Thanks for the help.

Latest posts