• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roadrunner

Stable

* Ace Member *
I'm looking for a finesse driver (Speed 9-10) that I can hyzer flip (RHBH) for long, straight drives in the woods and elevation shots. Thinking a 175g Champion Roadrunner could fill this role. Anyone throw this mold for hyzer flip lasers or is it purely a roller disc?

I'm looking for a finesse driver (Speed 9-10) that I can hyzer flip (RHBH) for long, straight drives in the woods and elevation shots. Thinking a 175g Champion Roadrunner could fill this role. Anyone throw this mold for hyzer flip lasers or is it purely a roller disc?

It depends on how far throw as well as on the Roadrunner you get. There are some out there that are super straight and some that have quite a bit of turn out of the box for my 350' arm. If you have the chance to visit a shop, try comparing the PLH of different Roadrunners and go with one of the more "overstable" ones. What a great disc.

My BH max distance is in the 380' range. I'm wanting the Roadrunner (or something like it) for tight windows where my Comets just aren't long enough. Especially on elevation shots in the woods that require a subtle right turn (RHBH).

I'd say a Champ RR is a good choice, it's very easy to control at slower speeds as well. A Pro Leopard fits the bill too as a slower option.

There's usually a Starlite Roadrunner in my bag for tight straight hyzer flips and control shots. I use it for a lot of uphill distance throws too.

A Roadrunner would probably be fine if you get the right PLH. But for what you are describing I would recommend what I would do myself, which the Sidewinder, or possibly the Lat64 Fury.

I love my roadrunners. I normally throw max weight star, but recently lost my broken in one and bought an Echo* to replace it. It flies just like the stars when new but I'm hoping to get it back into it's sweet spot quick. I've thrown a buddies champion RR and it had quite a bit more stability than star - I would imagine it'd be great once broken in a little.

I throw a 175 Gstar for sky anny shots that never fade, and sometimes for standstill approaches. It's also a good hyzer flip disc. It's got a unique flight imo -- easy to throw and easy to turn over, but rarely flippy when you don't want it to be.

The Orion ls and Discmania TD are other options you can try. For me the Orion is longer than the TD.

My BH max distance is in the 380' range. I'm wanting the Roadrunner (or something like it) for tight windows where my Comets just aren't long enough. Especially on elevation shots in the woods that require a subtle right turn (RHBH).

I've tried a Star Roadrunner, G* and Champ Sidewinders, but a Gold Line Saint has served me best on uphill shots to the right and easy uphill shots in general.

I love my Champion Valkyries for this shot. They are great hyzer-flip discs. The Roadrunner or Sidewinder would work too but the Valkyrie's stability is perfect for me for this shot.

There's usually a Starlite Roadrunner in my bag for tight straight hyzer flips and control shots. I use it for a lot of uphill distance throws too.

I also carry a Starlite RR. Great for hyzer-flips for sure. Also my go to roller disc because of dependability. Its also stable enough to release flat and get a big turn out of it. Really versatile. In fact, I've grown so close to it Im getting an extra one for backup, in addition to a heavier one to feel the difference. I cant yet compare it to a sidewinder but hope to soon. I've heard good things.

I love my Champion Valkyries for this shot. They are great hyzer-flip discs. The Roadrunner or Sidewinder would work too but the Valkyrie's stability is perfect for me for this shot.

My Valkyries hold too tight of a line for me to get a consistent right turn (RHBH) with a hyzer release. The 171g Glow Champion Valkyrie I throw gives me long shots with subtle hyzer finish every time. Just need something with the same speed but less stable to compliment my driver lineup.

I throw a 175 Gstar for sky anny shots that never fade, and sometimes for standstill approaches. It's also a good hyzer flip disc. It's got a unique flight imo -- easy to throw and easy to turn over, but rarely flippy when you don't want it to be.

After reading this I took my 172 star road runner out to the field. I haven't thrown a RR in years. I was getting much more control out of the RR vs Sidewinders. The RR reminded me of a longer broken in champ Leopard. Very impressed.

RR could be good, yep.

I'd say a beat in Star Leo3 is a great disc too. I'm amazed how far that thing goes. Little flip and tiny tight S. Nice.

My champ RR is great for hyzer flip to laser beam. This was probably among the first five discs I picked up, so 2.5 year old tie dye champ. It was out of the bag until recently so not much wear.

Flips up pretty easy but holds that laser beam with a lot of power. Does not pan over easily from a hyzer. I get late turnover on a full power hyzered pull. Turns plenty if you release it flat.

My Decodye Fury is super flippy in comparison.

If I am able to replace this RR with another champ RR that does the same then the RR will have the wooded flip spot in my bag until the end of days.

Fwiw, MJ compares the Heat to a longer Comet. May be a good choice as well for this shot.

K, so i actually just got back from the field where i was focusing on hyzer-flips. I thought about this thread and decided to really compare Valk and RR. (Both same weights and wear) I'd say, for me and my discs, they both flip up really really well but my RR for sure has less fade and more turn. So, for what its worth, my "frozenest of ropes" or my "laserest of beams" is currently coming from my RR. There is some fade there, but not nearly as much as my valk. Hope that counts for something!

Fwiw, MJ compares the Heat to a longer Comet. May be a good choice as well for this shot.

I've considered the Heat. I already use 4 Discraft molds and I don't want my bag to get too dominated by one brand. I like to spread the wealth between MVP/Innova/Discraft/Prodigy.

Latest posts