• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rule question?

True. On your next turn you mark your lie directly below the disc and drop it in. I'm always hoping the wind will blow it off and into the basket but I know that isn't going to happen! :\

Curtis

Even if the wind did blow it off and into the basket, you still haven't holed out. You would replace it on top of the basket, mark underneath, and drop in.

Even if the wind did blow it off and into the basket, you still haven't holed out. You would replace it on top of the basket, mark underneath, and drop in.

Not if the disc falls in within a short[1-20 secs] time period after it lands on top. Had it happen on #4 Ann Mo doubles. The birdie counted.

Not if the disc falls in within a short[1-20 secs] time period after it lands on top. Had it happen on #4 Ann Mo doubles. The birdie counted.

Not exactly:
802.02 Establishing Position
A. The thrown disc establishes a position where it first comes to rest.
B. A disc is considered to be at rest once it is no longer moving as a result of the momentum imparted by the throw. A disc in water or foliage is considered to be at rest once it is moving only as a result of movement of the water, the foliage, or the wind.

If it came to rest, and then falls in the basket after, most likely because of wind, it does not count.

Not exactly:

If it came to rest, and then falls in the basket after, most likely because of wind, it does not count.

My mistake for not being clear about what happened. The disc was bobbing on the edge of the top rim in the wind, and as I started walking towards the basket, it fell in[less than 10 secs]. As it had never established an "at rest" position, the basket counted.

I think that would be at the discretion of the group. On page 24 of the rules it says:
"The thrown disc establishes a position where it first comes to rest." That is an important concept which provides a basis for many other rules. Once a position has been established,
it remains even if the disc moves, no matter how that happens. The following rules
are now related to establishing position: disc above/below ground, broken disc, and disc in water or foliage.

I guess if your group decides that the disc was still bobbing from the throw itself and falls it counts as in, but if it was just rocking, and the wind blew it in it would not count. It's hard for anyone else to call it.

My mistake for not being clear about what happened. The disc was bobbing on the edge of the top rim in the wind, and as I started walking towards the basket, it fell in[less than 10 secs]. As it had never established an "at rest" position, the basket counted.

If it's bobbing in the wind and no longer moving of it's own inertia, it's at rest.

B. A disc is considered to be at rest once it is no longer moving as a result of the momentum imparted by the throw. A disc in water or foliage is considered to be at rest once it is moving only as a result of movement of the water, the foliage, or the wind.

If it's bobbing in the wind and no longer moving of it's own inertia, it's at rest.

802.02 ... A disc in water or foliage is considered to be at rest once it is moving only as a result of movement of the water, the foliage, or the wind.

Note that this passage strictly deals with water and foliage, nothing else. This case in point is neither.

As a rulebook, this part should probably be expanded.

So I had this happen in a tournament and they counted it but I'm not sure. I putted and had my putt land on the top of the basket and when the next person holed out, the energy of them hitting the basket knocked my disc off the top of the basket and in.

Note that this passage strictly deals with water and foliage, nothing else. This case in point is neither.

As a rulebook, this part should probably be expanded.

That sentence does. But the previous sentence would presumably apply to the disc that comes to rest on top, and is subsequently blown off:

"A disc is considered to be at rest once it is no longer moving as a result of the momentum imparted by the throw."

That sentence is not limited to water.

So I had this happen in a tournament and they counted it but I'm not sure. I putted and had my putt land on the top of the basket and when the next person holed out, the energy of them hitting the basket knocked my disc off the top of the basket and in.

Definitely should not have counted it. When a disc at rest is moved, it is returned to its original position. You don't get the benefit of interference like that.
804.03 Interference
C. A thrown disc at rest that has been moved shall be replaced to its approximate position (see 802.02.E).

E. If the thrown disc has moved after it first came to rest on the in-bounds playing surface, it shall be replaced to its approximate position. If it first came to rest elsewhere, the disc need not be replaced, and any determinations are made relative to where it first came to rest.

Since it wasn't on the playing surface, it does not need to be returned to the top of the basket. However, it is marked under the basket approximately below where it had come to rest on top of the basket.

If a disc is seen to have entered the basket through the top of the chain assembly, it's not in even if it never came to rest.

What if it is an elevated basket above 2 meters where the two meter rule is in effect. Would this then be a penalty stroke?

Hole_Outs.jpg

http://www.pdga.com/rule-changes-2011

Latest posts