• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules Changes for 2018

Has anyone mentioned yet how the new foot fault rules are, in my eyes, at least in part an attempt to address situations like Ricky's hilariously obvious but not called foot fault at Worlds this year? We all assume they didn't call it because he'd probably have made the putt anyways so why bother; now, they'd call it on him in a heartbeat.

I'm not saying this doesn't make up for the loopholes and what not, but at least it would address this specific situation

Has anyone mentioned yet how the new foot fault rules are, in my eyes, at least in part an attempt to address situations like Ricky's hilariously obvious but not called foot fault at Worlds this year? We all assume they didn't call it because he'd probably have made the putt anyways so why bother; now, they'd call it on him in a heartbeat.

I don't think they would. Nobody wants to give someone a penalty stroke for accidentally slipping on a putt they'd make 100% of the time.

What about this? It pretty much eliminates the FPO division for smallet events. Here, where we only have a couple of FPO players a lot of the AM women will play FPO just to make a division. Now they won't. Horrible decision and will probably lead to lower FPO players leaving the game.

A. Any player accepting cash in a Pro division at a PDGA-sanctioned event (except
leagues) must be a current Pro-class PDGA member. If they are not a current
Pro-class PDGA member, and wish to accept cash, the membership fee for
either their new Pro membership, upgraded membership (if a current Amateur),
or renewed Pro membership is taken out of their winnings by the Tournament
Director and forwarded to the PDGA.
B. An Amateur playing in a Pro division may NOT accept merchandise in lieu of cash;
they may only accept a trophy (if one is available). All cash payouts at or below
that place would move down one place causing an additional place to be paid.

Ill play more Am divisions. The way to grow the sport is to bring more sponsorship in it, not to force more quasi ams to give up payouts to true pros.

While I understand the new OB and 2M rules. I think they will lead to abuse. I predict a major or NT will be won or lost because the benefit these players can gain by being aggressive off the tee knowing they have unlimited relief for a great 3rd shot. this illustrates one way this can be done.
2 shots. One short of hazard, one in it. The better drive has to fight through the rough or "try" to pitch out. The worse drive gets a free pass to the most ultimate lie.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Lake.jpg
    Lake.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 162
You can now return your disc to your bag with the furthest roller that you want as long as it hits the ground before 5 meters

While I understand the new OB and 2M rules. I think they will lead to abuse. I predict a major or NT will be won or lost because the benefit these players can gain by being aggressive off the tee knowing they have unlimited relief for a great 3rd shot. this illustrates one way this can be done.
2 shots. One short of hazard, one in it. The better drive has to fight through the rough or "try" to pitch out. The worse drive gets a free pass to the most ultimate lie.

attachment.php

I believe the relief in this case would be a straight line between where the disc went OB and the teepad, so your illustration would change a bit

2M is worse because being stuck 2M is luck.

Fairway bordered by trees forcing a hyzer, design intention is to follow this path with position and location of teepad.
3 similar throws
one stops at edge of fairway stuck in tree with penalty
2nd fights though tree goes way deep
3rd (not shown) fights through and is lost

first disc gets to choose prime lie potentially outside of intended challenging fairway.
Second spends time trying to find a way to pitch out (OR has to make the choice to optional re-throw with worse penalty than 2M disc)
Third has to rethrow with worse penalty than 2M disc.

attachment.php

I understand it is bad to get 2M penalty and still be stuck next to a tree trunk...so make the OB relieve a few meters, not unlimited.

Attachments

• 2M.jpg
    2M.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 161
I believe the relief in this case would be a straight line between where the disc went OB and the teepad, so your illustration would change a bit

I thought it was a line to the basket just like any lie marking. A line to the tee would be even more dumb. The sport has never marked a lie according to the teebox, that would be a fundamental change on how lies are established and very confusing.

I honestly think people are looking waaaaaaaaaaay too into this and creating scenarios that are clearly cheating, clearly situations people wouldn't allow to happen and situations I've never heard of in over 25 years of playing, running events and being on a committee that hears the craziest of the crazy for 10 years.

Culturally, we've changed over the past thirty years. Cheating was considered bad and to be avoided thirty years ago. Now, it's just another way to get ahead. Our politics and business is rife with it. People don't look at such things and say, "whoop, if you cheat you're done.". Now, well people cheat, you need something that says you can't do that thing... Saying don't cheat isn't good enough.

I think the simplified rules for holing out are pretty awesome. I think it takes some of the randomness out of holing out. Per the FAQ, a disc resting on on the rim of the basket across two nubs will count next year, whereas currently it would not count:

I hated the fact that discs hanging on the nubs didn't count. It's a rare shot, but I never saw the benefit to penalizing the player. It seemed unnecessarily punitive.

The way I read it, a normal "nubby-hanger" is still not good (aka, not holed out). The disc has to enter the target correctly AND be supported by the target. If it doesn't enter, just hangs on the nubs, it hasn't met both conditions.

AJ's was something I hadn't seen before. His putt actually hit the chains, then bounced out and hung on the nubs, so it would be good.

The way I read it, a normal "nubby-hanger" is still not good (aka, not holed out). The disc has to enter the target correctly AND be supported by the target. If it doesn't enter, just hangs on the nubs, it hasn't met both conditions.

AJ's was something I hadn't seen before. His putt actually hit the chains, then bounced out and hung on the nubs, so it would be good.

But! It wasnt horizontal.

Rules of Disc Golf 2018
Page 21
Appendix D - Conversions

Metric System English System
10 meters ..................... 32 feet 10 inches
3 meters ....................... 9 feet 10 inches
2 meters ....................... 6 feet 6 inches
1 meter......................... 3 feet 3 inches
30 centimeters ............ 1 foot
20 centimeters ............ 8 inches
1 centimeter ................ 1/2 inch

They are rounding the conversions and because of this they conflict themselves.

1 centimeter = 1/2 inch. So 30 centimeters would be 15 inches and 20 centimeters would be 10 inches. But they tell us that 30 centimeters = 12 inches and 20 centimeters = 8 inches. So which is it.

Also using this conversion the circle is now 41.6667 feet

I understand it is bad to get 2M penalty and still be stuck next to a tree trunk...so make the OB relieve a few meters, not unlimited.

and get rid of the silly 2 meter rule completely.

who is actually on the rules committee currently besides conrad and sinclair? ditto the competition committee beyond yeti? (asking because i didn't find it in 20 seconds of googling)

Rules of Disc Golf 2018
Page 21
Appendix D - Conversions

Metric System English System
10 meters ..................... 32 feet 10 inches
3 meters ....................... 9 feet 10 inches
2 meters ....................... 6 feet 6 inches
1 meter......................... 3 feet 3 inches
30 centimeters ............ 1 foot
20 centimeters ............ 8 inches
1 centimeter ................ 1/2 inch

They are rounding the conversions and because of this they conflict themselves.

1 centimeter = 1/2 inch. So 30 centimeters would be 15 inches and 20 centimeters would be 10 inches. But they tell us that 30 centimeters = 12 inches and 20 centimeters = 8 inches. So which is it.

Also using this conversion the circle is now 41.6667 feet

but this is the most thought out and researched revision of the rules in history...

I thought it was a line to the basket just like any lie marking. A line to the tee would be even more dumb. The sport has never marked a lie according to the teebox, that would be a fundamental change on how lies are established and very confusing.

You are correct, I misread the rule book

who is actually on the rules committee currently besides conrad and sinclair? ditto the competition committee beyond yeti? (asking because i didn't find it in 20 seconds of googling)

Chuckster of Spike Hyzer is on competition committee.

With the new conversions here are what some things are.

Lie area is 15" x 10"
2 meters is now 8.33'
1 meter is now 4.16'
The circle is now 41.67'

you do realize the only conversion in the rules that they changed is to round 30cm, right? All of the others are unchanged.

So much this. It's ridiculous that they made a rule change ten years ago but allow older courses to be "grandfathered" into enforcing the 2 meter penalty. Imagine if they did this with the new stance rule..."this course has been around since before 2018 so you're required to have a contact point directly behind the mini". Having any rule that's different from course to course is just dumb.