• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules enforcement from top PDGA pros

which rules are unenforceable?

which rules do you routinely break?

They are all unenforceable by the PDGA.

I ignore rules involving:
Marking the lie, illegal disc, uniquely marking the disc, alcohol occasionally though I don't drink much or often.

Whatta jack wagon.

I've seen this guy play in person. You can't tell me that calling him on a couple of 30 second violations won't get in his head and cost him a few strokes. And I find it pretty hilarious for him to be critical of folks calling him on taking too long when at the '18 Ledgestone I remember him staring at cardmates feet rather obnoxiously looking for a foot fault. Dude is a spaz.

And do what exactly? Genuine question here...I'm curious.

Just a friendly call to him saying that the PDGA knows that Nikko is taking too long on his putts and that the PDGA knows that Nikko knows he is taking too long on his putts and if things don't change then the PDGA will start asking the TD to either follow his card or assign a non-playing official to do so.

------------

i honestly do not think anyone would have said anything if he had done it once or twice in a round (as long as he wasn't taking an absurd amount of time) but it happens on almost all of his non-gimme putts.

I really wish the TD would emphasize following this rule during whatever formal or informal players meeting. Pros don't want to call each other out because some calls would be subjective and would end up in arguments.

Ideally we need non playing officials to follow every card but that won't happen anytime soon due to lack of volunteers..

The PDGA competition team will typically have more concern with the pace of play where a group is clearly playing too slowly, lagging a hole or more behind the group ahead of them AND with a group or more stacking up on the hole they're playing. The group is considered at fault and potentially chastised by tournament officials, not a specific player, because it means the group is likely not calling time violations for throwing or finding lost discs. In the Preserve final round, Nikko was on the last card and (apparently) not holding up a card behind them (were FPO cards delayed?). If his excess timing bothered the players in the group, it was upon them to call it.

The PDGA competition team will typically have more concern with the pace of play where a group is clearly playing too slowly, lagging a hole or more behind the group ahead of them AND with a group or more stacking up on the hole they're playing. The group is considered at fault and potentially chastised by tournament officials, not a specific player, because it means the group is likely not calling time violations for throwing or finding lost discs. In the Preserve final round, Nikko was on the last card and (apparently) not holding up a card behind them (were FPO cards delayed?). If his excess timing bothered the players in the group, it was upon them to call it.

So basically the main intent of the 30 second rule is not for the sake of the card-mates but rather the pace of play overall - which makes complete sense.

oyXu2Ro.jpg

The PDGA can't give a crap about the rules they created. They are unenforceable. Expecting everyone to voluntarily follow silly rules to the letter when no one who cares is looking and there are no consequences is not very realistic. Even expecting everyone to act with integrity by their own lights is asking too much. Some people are bad characters.

I routinely break several rules when playing tournaments, and yet hold absolutely to my own standards of integrity. I trust that there are enough of us playing with the same conscientious philosophy that the competition is fair enough. If cheaters gain an advantage, well, I'm not jealous of their reward.

No form of disc golf is or ever will be a serious matter. If you know this, it's impossible to get as worked up as you pretend to be over its problems.

I do not know if this is what's being implied here, but I cringe when people say anything like "...cheaters are..." in reference to rules being broken (in general). There are people who genuinely do not know they are breaking a rule, either because they don't know the rule or don't realize they just did something wrong. Sometimes it's a simple brain fart. And yes occasionally they are trying to game the system even to the level of cheating. But to generalize all rule-breaking "as cheating" is beyond oversimplification -- it's untrue and unfair.

This past weekend I was playing a B-tier sanctioned event, MP50s so we've all played a long time and know the rules. Two of the three other guys on my card have called me and taught me rules way earlier in my career, so they aren't shy about calling something when it occurs. On about hole #15, I am parked under the basket waiting for my cardmates to putt out, but they are all spread out N, SW, and SE of the basket; two of them inside the marked 10m-circle, so each is walking to his own lie waiting their turn. The first guy jump putts and ends up a few feet out. The second player, the one I hadn't played with before is lining up his putt from just inside C1, and I am behind sitting on my cart watching and waiting. After about 15 seconds of routine, he takes a pretty standard step-putt right in front of me. It catches me off-guard, and I immediately say, "hey, that's a fault, you can't do that, you were inside." One of the other guys say, "I usually watch everything, but I didn't see it, what'd he do?" I told them he step putted ... from inside the circle, and then I showed them. The final player ditto -- "I usually am watching but I didn't see it either." You know what, I actually believed them. These guys weren't playing the "I'm not gonna call stuff" game, not these guys. I know they typically are on top of it, so they may have gotten into the lull of a long round or the "routineness" of us all making our putts, but they didn't see it. So the next words out of my mouth is simple, "if no one seconds the call we just gotta move on, unless (to the guy that did it) you're gonna second it yourself." His reply, "I missed the putt, so...." We moved on.

My point is, he clearly broke the rule and was fortunate not to get a penalty there. But do I think he was "cheating" -- not at all. I think he had a brain fart. He had made a couple step putts on the last few holes and during his long (15 seconds) routine just forgot where he was.

I'm spotting #14 this Sat.
Maybe I should start a timer when players mark their lie... :rolleyes:

I do not know if this is what's being implied here, but I cringe when people say anything like "...cheaters are..." in reference to rules being broken (in general). There are people who genuinely do not know they are breaking a rule, either because they don't know the rule or don't realize they just did something wrong. Sometimes it's a simple brain fart. And yes occasionally they are trying to game the system even to the level of cheating. But to generalize all rule-breaking "as cheating" is beyond oversimplification -- it's untrue and unfair.

It's obvious that this is not my implication. I plainly stated that I willingly, routinely, and conscientiously break several rules. I do not consider myself a cheater.

Rule breaking comes in a few categories: Ignoring pointless rules, ignorance, and cheating. The first group may go forth with my blessing.

Otherwise, I unhesitatingly call penalties on anyone violating most rules, ignorant or not. Getting penalized is a quick and effective way to get unignorant. Being kind and friendly to the people you're playing with makes it easy to call violations when they happen.

But, if cheating does happen, and there are no consequences, I'm not at all concerned. That's between the cheater and their self. I have the luxury of not needing to be taken seriously, and I certainly couldn't care less about the reputation of disc golf.

It's obvious that this is not my implication. I plainly stated that I willingly, routinely, and conscientiously break several rules. I do not consider myself a cheater.

Rule breaking comes in a few categories: Ignoring pointless rules, ignorance, and cheating. The first group may go forth with my blessing.

Otherwise, I unhesitatingly call penalties on anyone violating most rules, ignorant or not. Getting penalized is a quick and effective way to get unignorant. Being kind and friendly to the people you're playing with makes it easy to call violations when they happen.

But, if cheating does happen, and there are no consequences, I'm not at all concerned. That's between the cheater and their self. I have the luxury of not needing to be taken seriously, and I certainly couldn't care less about the reputation of disc golf.

Would you object to people calling you on the rules you routinely break? Or do you break these rules outside of PDGA competition?

Latest posts