• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Saint. What is it for?

I love the Saints in GL. All mine fly the same. I dont care for Optos though, thats where I find a lot of inconsistency. As said before though, they suck in the wind. My Hatchet handles the breeze better than the Saint. Usually if theres wind, other than a 6 to 12 tailwind, I'll opt for a Saint Pro, Thunderbird, or Orc, depending on wind direction and speed, and where I want the disc to go. Even my Star Sandstrom Valkyrie holds its lines in wind

Either or. I am definitely wondering what its role is in a given bag. I want to bag it for a bit to give it more of a chance, but I really haven't come upon a shot where I said to myself, "I think the Saint is the disc for this shot."

I watched a guy at my home course throw a disc on a beautiful straight line just past the basket that was 300' away. I asked him what the disc was, and he said "the Saint". There was not much wind at that time. But like others here have said... it's not going to be nearly as reliable in the wind.

A lot of good thoughts and opinions in this thread.

But, for realsies, it is for throwing.

I watched a guy at my home course throw a disc on a beautiful straight line just past the basket that was 300' away. I asked him what the disc was, and he said "the Saint". There was not much wind at that time. But like others here have said... it's not going to be nearly as reliable in the wind.

I'm not a doctor, but I know somebody who plays one on TV. To me, Saints are meant to be thrown 350+ feet, low, straight, and smooth. Great disc for long downhills. I think Opto is the best flyer.

I have a GL Saint and I actually like it better than Opto Saint Pros. It does get touchy in the wind, but it is the kind of disc you can shape lines depending on how much hyzer and power you put into it. Its a disc you need to spend some time in the field with to learn how to throw it.

I just got a GL Saint in a trade that is beefier than either of my Opto Saint Pros. I'm liking it.

I have a GL Saint and I actually like it better than Opto Saint Pros. It does get touchy in the wind, but it is the kind of disc you can shape lines depending on how much hyzer and power you put into it. Its a disc you need to spend some time in the field with to learn how to throw it.

This, but for my opto.

And I also have a GL that is quite beefy

I'm not a doctor, but I know somebody who plays one on TV. To me, Saints are meant to be thrown 350+ feet, low, straight, and smooth. Great disc for long downhills. I think Opto is the best flyer.

Apparently this guy preferred control and closeness to the basket than max distance, so he only busted it 300 feet for a reasonable putt. Different uses for different folks, I guess...

For my noodle arm Saints are not horrible in the wind. I play with an aging local pro that hyzer flips the snot out of one on a rope for sweet 350-400 shots. But I don't have that kind of game. Just grab a Saint and a Saint Pro and then you are covered unless the wind is pretty severe. They are nice discs.

Yeah I've had several opto saint pros and they are not consistent at all. GL is definitely the better choice when getting either a saint or saint pro. I use the convict for what i used saint pros for, dead straight 300 foot shots. I occasionally bag my gl saint for woodsy courses

I have a 168 GL Saint which is, for me, my main anny flex disc and longer hyzer disc. I don't throw it for my headwind driver, but at my current power level, it and a 168 Metal Flake Sidewinder make a perfect Stable and Understable distance pair.

I think Saint is the perfect first longer fairway/short distance driver for folks with limited power, much like the Valkyrie.

I understand why the big arms don't have much use for it, but for the intermediate player, it provides a perfect match of distance and control. Discs like Escape and Northman provide an incremental increase in stability which is the logical progression.

I've done a little more testing with it so far. I have noticed it is a very nice disc to get a dead straight shot at about 80% power. The one I obtained is an Opto and it has basically no fade at all. But, when I chucked it with some hyzer for distance, it lagged behind my Tern, Katana, Mamba and Bosses as it seemed to lose distance when it sort of bounced around in the air even with no wind, and crashed down. Those discs are designed for more distance though so that only makes sense. And the Saint held a perfectly straight line. I am starting to agree with a lot of what people have said, it is a nice go to powered down, need a straight line, fairway driver. Who would have thought it does what it was made to do?! Still seems a bit unpredictable with that 7 glide rating.

Last edited:
Try it for anhyzers as well...I found that its stability was good to hold a very long sweeping left to right shot...it won't flip into the ground badly but it also won't fade out.

Saints are perfect hyzer flip max distance discs for people with lower to moderate arm speed. In the right conditions, they bomb, just like any distance disc. One of the farthest flying discs (for my arm speed) that I've thrown, but they didn't make the bag because I wanted something a little more predictable in my distance slot. As stated, that glide is just as big of a vice as it is a virtue.

I think Saint is the perfect first longer fairway/short distance driver for folks with limited power, much like the Valkyrie.

I understand why the big arms don't have much use for it, but for the intermediate player, it provides a perfect match of distance and control. Discs like Escape and Northman provide an incremental increase in stability which is the logical progression.

Yeah, Swedish Valk IME.

And with more height and power you can hyzer flip to straight past 400ft!

Saint has been coming and going for me. I really like the Saint Pro and every now and then play around with the idea of pairing the Saint with it. Usually I bag a Hatchet for the US / hyzerflip and it works, but having similar feel would be nice.

For me there are two problems with the Saint. First of all it beats in a lot and over a long period of time. When new, it can be even considered overstable, but then gradually it loses its' stability and becomes a very understable one. This makes it hard to carry one in the bag as its' slot is constantly changing. Once the process slows down, it is in the point of slightly beat in Hatchet. Hence, a potential Hatchet replacement.

The second issue is really the glide. It is rally hard to range the Saint as you never know how far it is gonna glide. Also, a slightest mistake in the height can easily mean 30-50ft difference in distance. I actually think that Saint likes to be thrown a bit higher than your regular FW, because there is not much fade and the height will give it time to use the glide.

So for the winter I put it back into the bag, but we'll see if I return to the Hatchet when the spring arrives.

Last edited: