• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Contender

Johnson

Double Eagle Member
Just curious why a thread hasn't been started for this bag yet. Am I missing something? Looks like they added a rain fly and made several other improvements. Thoughts?

Ah, couldn't tell you. I've been to that site a total of zero times :)

Hi Johnson,
I was going to create the thread tomorrow morning. They just got added to the site today as we were waiting for them to come into stock first. There is approximately 20 of each color currently to see how the market is for the bag. I believe there is no rain fly which I am checking in currently. The "rain fly" in question I believe is the front flap as you can leave it down and it will block the rain from going into the bag. The material is naturally water resistant.

This is now considered the contender+. I personally like the orange and smoke color myself. The reinforced straps are an excellent addition to this bag.

Just an FYI, but 1000D is not as waterproof as 500D and is more prone to snags.

Just to clarify, Contender bags, including the Contender Plus, are made out of all ballistic nylon, 1680D and 1050D. This is the toughest material you can use to make a bag, and makes the bags as water resistant as you can get without adding a rainfly. I used my Contender in a full rain round, with my cell phone in one of the pockets..Rain got all over my bag, but my cell phone was completely dry when i pulled it out at the end of the round.

Last edited:
Ballistic nylon is complete overkill and it's not very pliable for comfort. It your bag is a well built as you claim then there would be no need to go above 500D...Which is less porous than 1000D or higher.

Ballistic nylon is complete overkill and it's not very pliable for comfort. It your bag is a well built as you claim then there would be no need to go above 500D...Which is less porous than 1000D or higher.

400-600 is what Ranger bags are made out of...I hear of those ripping all the time, especially on the bottom around the corners.

Not trying to bash your logic, it makes sense, but the original selling point of these bags was durability with great price point. They may not seem comfortable but they really are. You don't know until you put one on, and it also depends on your preferences.

400-600 is what Ranger bags are made out of...I hear of those ripping all the time, especially on the bottom around the corners.

he did say "well built"....so what he said is still true. and most backpacking bags that are far better designed and constructed than any dg bag almost never use over 500D.

The bag looks nice to me. I guess it's now a toss up between this bag and the ergo 2 (if I ever find one in stock).

Hi lexual,
I'm glad you like the look of the bag. It is currently in stock and ready to ship if you decide to get one. Thanks for your consideration.

Alright, they snagged me. I couldn't resist a black on black bag. I have a couple friends that own the first and second run who are very outspoken about the Contender quality. Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I believe this bag will be well built and delivered in a timely fashion. The stopwatch timer has officially been started. :popcorn:

The bag looks nice to me. I guess it's now a toss up between this bag and the ergo 2 (if I ever find one in stock).

the Ergo2s have been moving pretty fast. Most people are just calling and placing their order over the phone and getting them rather quickly.

here are some pics. this looks really nice.

Orange-bag-772x1024.jpg

Orange-bag-full-284x300.jpg

top-compartment-of-contender-226x300.jpg