• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient's Catalyst Medium Backpack

iacas

* Ace Member *
Since the other thread was renamed (again), this thread is for the discussion of the BAG ITSELF.

Not customer service issues, not whether the Prometheus was good or not, not shoes, etc.

Just the Catalyst bag, from customers who have the bag, people who are interested in knowing more about the bag, etc.

Mine just arrived. I'll unbox it and play with it here shortly.

I've renamed the thread because the same people continue to post the same crap over and over and over. If people want to talk about the bags when they receive them, make a new thread. If the dead horse beaters attempt to infect that thread and I notice, you're gone for a week. Keep your complaints to this thread only.

Thanks.

Quoting that in this thread is a bit... confusing.

I think it's a good move. The other threads turned into crap.
I'll say again that I'm genuinely interested in honest, unbiased reviews of the bag.

Here is mine:

Pretty nice.

The bag feels very solid and well built. The seems feel nice and tight and the overall construction is crisp.

The next spot I looked was the upper storage. There is definitely some unused space up there. I would estimate that it could fit about 3 500ml water bottles in there stacked on their side. I think that a little ingenuity could make access fairly easy.

^^^
This is an oversite, not a huge deal for me

The go-get it section works ok. The liner is velcroed in - It is a bit stiff and tight now, but seems like it will loosen up after a little use. I'm not sure how I'll best use the divider - it seems like I could either stack 2 discs together or use the divider as shown on their demo vids.

The side pockets are about the size that I was anticipating. I would see no problem stuffing in a thin-medium thick layer of clothing if needed

Question: Are there bags in stock to order as of now? The bags I've seen look pretty cool, and if the reviews are solid, then I may think about grabbing one. You can't argue with the price.

2q0iseh.jpg

21ln90x.jpg

2dgp740.jpg

34sr0o2.jpg

2nsuphx.jpg

These are just some of the various pics I have found around facebook and sent to me in emails I have received

Question: Are there bags in stock to order as of now? The bags I've seen look pretty cool, and if the reviews are solid, then I may think about grabbing one. You can't argue with the price.

Yep, if you go to the salient website you can order one right now for 150 shipped

Looks shorter on the back than by itself. I'm small 5'9" some bags just hang too low. This looks to ride nice and high.

I've taken some pictures. I'll write up a fairly lengthy post here shortly after I edit the pictures to make them appropriately sized.

Very very short review:
- Feels good on back. Very light.
- Holds 17 discs in main compartment mixed drivers, fairways, mids.
- I took the plastic out of the Go-Get-It slot. Like it better that way.
- Fit a large, fairly thick hoodie in one of the side pockets.
- There is indeed wasted space up top. Disappointing.
- Edges of the main pocket not as easy to get discs from as I was hoping. I'd specifically asked that question, too when I saw the curved edges.

P.S. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but the crappiest color Antidote? I got it. Like the one shown above. The muddy grey disc. Meh. Free is free though. No complaints. Definitely won't be throwing it in the snow though.

I've taken some pictures. I'll write up a fairly lengthy post here shortly after I edit the pictures to make them appropriately sized.

Very very short review:
- Feels good on back. Very light.
- Holds 17 discs in main compartment mixed drivers, fairways, mids.
- I took the plastic out of the Go-Get-It slot. Like it better that way.
- Fit a large, fairly thick hoodie in one of the side pockets.
- There is indeed wasted space up top. Disappointing.
- Edges of the main pocket not as easy to get discs from as I was hoping. I'd specifically asked that question, too when I saw the curved edges.

P.S. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but the crappiest color Antidote? I got it. Like the one shown above. The muddy grey disc. Meh. Free is free though. No complaints. Definitely won't be throwing it in the snow though.

so just to be clear, you can't get a mid out of the very far edge with one hand? and what is the antidote plastic like?

Posting the review I left in the previous thread:

Got mine in the mail earlier. Here is my take.. first impression, the thing is very boxy, I swore I ordered a bowling bag for a moment. After opening the bottom disc pouch and putting some discs in there it looks much better.

The top compartment, as has already been beaten into the ground, is terribly small, I'm talking if you opened your wallet and spread it open, a tiny bit bigger than that. It fits keys/wallet/phone fine though so can't complain (as the side pockets have plenty of room for extra waters etc).

I put 15 discs in the bottom section(9 drivers 3 putters 3 midranges), 2 putters in the grab and go section, and one putter on each side. I read that it was hard to fit a hoodie in there but I was able to pretty easily fit a large hoodie in there, I also tried a pair of 33x32 jeans (random) which I didn't expect to fit and they did with room to spare. So to say the least, the side compartments will be useful and were much better than my expectations.

I think the material is quite nice, seems pretty well made and durable. Time will have to tell as far as this goes, the biggest test is going to come on the course and how it holds up. I was using an Innova competition bag before this and it looks damn near brand new despite 3+ years of heavy use.

Going to play tomorrow and see if it's comfortable as well, if it feels fine around the course I will keep it.

Expectation beforehand: 9 (looked solid at that pricepoint)

Expectation after the delays, communication gaps, incorrect information(top compartment), reviews from catalyst owners: 6

Salient Customer Service: 5

Bag Rating: 8 (gasp)

wrnIPpt.jpg

IWvyNiP.jpg

Posting the review I left in the previous thread:

Got mine in the mail earlier. Here is my take.. first impression, the thing is very boxy, I swore I ordered a bowling bag for a moment. After opening the bottom disc pouch and putting some discs in there it looks much better.

The top compartment, as has already been beaten into the ground, is terribly small, I'm talking if you opened your wallet and spread it open, a tiny bit bigger than that. It fits keys/wallet/phone fine though so can't complain (as the side pockets have plenty of room for extra waters etc).

I put 15 discs in the bottom section(9 drivers 3 putters 3 midranges), 2 putters in the grab and go section, and one putter on each side. I read that it was hard to fit a hoodie in there but I was able to pretty easily fit a large hoodie in there, I also tried a pair of 33x32 jeans (random) which I didn't expect to fit and they did with room to spare. So to say the least, the side compartments will be useful and were much better than my expectations.

I think the material is quite nice, seems pretty well made and durable. Time will have to tell as far as this goes, the biggest test is going to come on the course and how it holds up. I was using an Innova competition bag before this and it looks damn near brand new despite 3+ years of heavy use.

Going to play tomorrow and see if it's comfortable as well, if it feels fine around the course I will keep it.

Expectation beforehand: 9 (looked solid at that pricepoint)

Expectation after the delays, communication gaps, incorrect information(top compartment), reviews from catalyst owners: 6

Salient Customer Service: 5

Bag Rating: 8 (gasp)

wrnIPpt.jpg

IWvyNiP.jpg

I particulary enjoyed your review delavega. You were very upfront and honest about your opinions and your extremely detailed with your descriptions, reasoning and number ratings. A very well done review.

I particulary enjoyed your review delavega. You were very upfront and honest about your opinions and your extremely detailed with your descriptions, reasoning and number ratings. A very well done review.

Thanks pal.

I have played 7 rounds with it now and the bag is comfortable and holding up well. I carry 3 bottled beers in each of the large side pockets and the bag is still comfortable and not bulky. The material is also much nicer than I expected, I am definitely happy with the bag at that price point. The onlyyyy thing that could have made it better, was a free antidote, but when would free stuff NOT make things better? :D

Thanks pal.

I have played 7 rounds with it now and the bag is comfortable and holding up well. I carry 3 bottled beers in each of the large side pockets and the bag is still comfortable and not bulky. The material is also much nicer than I expected, I am definitely happy with the bag at that price point. The onlyyyy thing that could have made it better, was a free antidote, but when would free stuff NOT make things better? :D

haha this is very true. I am glad that material is proving to be 1000D. The pictures during the pre order made it look cheaper than Ranger material. Good to know its high quality

so just to be clear, you can't get a mid out of the very far edge with one hand? and what is the antidote plastic like?

No. In fact, grabbing my Gold Line (errrrr, sorry, Tournament) Tursas, I can lift and hold the entire bag in the air by grabbing the rim of the Tursas. It comes out part-way (mostly up), but then supports the weight of the bag. I place the flight plates to the left when I organize my bag, and go from drivers to fairways to mids in the main pocket, left to right.

And this is all with the hard plastic in the GGI slot removed. It would likely be more difficult with that plastic still in there.

I'll post in the Antidote thread when I can about the disc. It'd be OT for this thread.

No. In fact, grabbing my Gold Line (errrrr, sorry, Tournament) Tursas, I can lift and hold the entire bag in the air by grabbing the rim of the Tursas. It comes out part-way (mostly up), but then supports the weight of the bag. I place the flight plates to the left when I organize my bag, and go from drivers to fairways to mids in the main pocket, left to right.

And this is all with the hard plastic in the GGI slot removed. It would likely be more difficult with that plastic still in there.

I'll post in the Antidote thread when I can about the disc. It'd be OT for this thread.

ok, is your disc bending when you take it out of the bag? this is definitely an important part to note for future bag runs

Latest posts