• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Save dye water for use later?

absolutely.... im sorry if you have been throwing dye away... but yea dye can last up to 2 months... I even refill my dye as water boils away.

I use mason jars to store my dye.

I never even thought of that. After me and my bro poured the dye water down the sink we had to break out the bleach because we weren't too careful.

I save mine...
my black dye is around 4 months old, and works great, even as the color I use most
(though I did freshen it up with some new rit, it required much less than if I had started fresh)

tHANKS for this. Haven't even done my first yet...but was worrying this question in my mind.

I don't dye the same way the every one else does. I don't use the stove at all. I started by microwaving water to a boil. Only about 1.2 cups then mixed the Rit in. I then use 10' disposable cake pans to soak the discs. I Save any left over dye and store in 32oz Gatorade bottles. When I go to dye another disc I reheat the dye in a coffee cup in the microwave. As you have seen I get some pretty dark colors and if I am doing multiple disc I reheat the dye between discs. I recently dyed a disc using a shot glass to heat the dye and applied it to the disc using a syringe which came with some silver thermal paste. I couldn't cover for a proper soaking due to the detail I was trying for.

just like dye on a disc, it fades... ive never tested to see how long it can go, i just change it every two months and you can see a noticeable difference in the color of the dye.

what a novel idea that NEVER crossed my mind just cause I had not preplanned to store it for later and the easiest cleanup is a quick pour on the side of the house ... def gonna snag some mason jars to store dye in for later uses

I havent found a shelf life for black yet. When the volume goes down I just add more water and dye. It seems like colors start to breakdown after a few months. I use giant tupperware pitchers for dye storage. $2 @ Biglots! :)

I have all my used dye in old gallon water jugs (what I had laying around). Not sure how long it will last, just started dying this summer.

I use a 9" cake pan, Dye is stored in 12oz bottles. Use 1 tbsp of dye powder 1/2 pack. 12 oz is enough to float the disc and fills the pan about 1/2 way.

Attachments

• HPIM2387.jpg
    HPIM2387.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 22
  • HPIM2388.jpg
    HPIM2388.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 20
  • HPIM2389.jpg
    HPIM2389.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 21
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I hope it's alright I use this one :)
Is it the same routine for the iDye? Do you guys just pour it into Mason jars when you are done dyeing?

I do. I don't dye very often but I've used a black mix that was a year old or more. Turned out fine for my lowish standards.

I have yet to use a dye that didn't work bc it was too old. And the colors I rarely use like brown are 2+ years old and still work fine.

I have some dye mixes that are over 5 years old, and work fine. I think the salt-type stuff in the dye helps keep from turning sour. I've never had a dye batch go bad, only had to replace after the strength dwindles after so much use and re-adding water.

Cool. And after use, you just store it in a jar in the cupboard?
And when you have to use it again you pour it in the pan, heat it, dye and put it back in the jar, correct?

With the added step of shaking the jar prior to pouring because the dye will settle to the bottom overtime.

Latest posts