• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch... 1st ever perfect 5.00 in top 10?

I hear nothing but good things about the courses. The only reason I'm reluctant to go out there to play is that the website makes such a big deal about it being a christian retreat, and I'm afraid I might burst into flame as soon as I drive onto the property. :|

I love pay to play courses but for me there is something to be said about evaluating based on price at least a little. I have issues modifying my rating based on price. If it is a great course then it is a great course. If I spend 5 dollars to pay a course and it is terrible that 5 dollars is a terrible value. If I spend 50 and it is worth the 50 then the value is correct. Kinda like eating at a restaurant. I can imagine having courses with brilliant design and terrific everything else that redefine what 5 stars is. If they cost 100 per round so be it.

I didn't even notice any of that until the guys I was with told me about that. It was never brought up or "pushed" at any time when taking care of waivers or afterwards talking to the owners.

I didn't even notice any of that until the guys I was with told me about that. It was never brought up or "pushed" at any time when taking care of waivers or afterwards talking to the owners.

ditto, they didn't preach on us and we stayed overnight.

Secondly.. Why is it that this thread is filled with haters who don't even live anywhere near Texas? You guys are taking this 5 star rating so personally, I'm halfway surprised some of you haven't rated the course a 1 without playing it.
We've had this same discussion before with Flip, then Idlewild, then Blueberry, then Horning's, then Flyboy. Do you really think its different this time because this is a course that's in your region? Yeah, the people who live near those other courses thought that too.

I don't care what course or what part of the country you're in. If you give a course five stars and then proceed to write a review that's six sentences at the most, that's crap. You haven't justified that rating, and you've given others good ammunition that there's an effort to "homer" that course onto the top ten list.

FWIW, Roc1Time and hookem41 wrote excellent reviews for the Selah courses that DO justify that rating. More of you who play and review them should follow their examples.

We've had this same discussion before with Flip, then Idlewild, then Blueberry, then Horning's, then Flyboy. Do you really think its different this time because this is a course that's in your region? Yeah, the people who live near those other courses thought that too.

I don't care what course or what part of the country you're in. If you give a course five stars and then proceed to write a review that's six sentences at the most, that's crap. You haven't justified that rating, and you've given others good ammunition that there's an effort to "homer" that course onto the top ten list.

FWIW, Roc1Time and hookem41 wrote excellent reviews for the Selah courses that DO justify that rating. More of you who play and review them should follow their examples.

So if some dude wirtes a short review and gives it one golden disc on this scale are you going to b*tch about that too?

The reviews seem awesome across the board, I dont think people are giving it 5 stars just to mess with you.

I hear nothing but good things about the courses. The only reason I'm reluctant to go out there to play is that the website makes such a big deal about it being a christian retreat, and I'm afraid I might burst into flame as soon as I drive onto the property. :|

Hahha. Yea, I thought the same thing about playing The Roc in Tyler because it's a 'Christian Course', but I really doubt it'd be that big of a deal. I know some people that went and played it who can't get through 9 holes without having an alcoholic beverage, and they enjoyed it. Pretty sure Saleh is having a tournament soon too, one of the locals at my course e-mails the owner regularly.

Besides, I've never really had a problem being myself on a golf course. I always make sure to bring cigarettes, that way when I start smoking, I can always pull out a cigarette to cover it up. :thmbup:

It does make me ornery, but there are ball courses that are very nice that aren't $50 with a cart. The greatest thing about this game is the local enthusiasts do the hard work of finding a park, raising money, getting the local officials on board and building the best course they can for everyone to use.

I happen to live close to 2 of the best private courses in the area if not the country. The Blockhouse & Hawk Hollow. I have paid to play at the Blockhouse and it is a value course. I'm single without kids and I have a lot of disposable income and if you think $20 for DG and another $30 for a cart is reasonable then you have more spare cash than me.

Besides the courses at the International Disc Golf Center are only $5 for the day.

The other course I had the privilege to play was Hawk Hollow. John didn't charge me anything I came out to help him (with others) to clean up some damage from recent storms. For that he let me play his course. I put in a few hours of labor for the round and if you price it on how much I make at work I spent about $75 bucks for that round.

Comparing pay DG courses to Ball courses, like some have done, is not a correct comparison. How many free ball golf courses are in the U.S that you can walk up to and start playing?

I hold the sport back?

How many new players do you walk a round with and have fun so they don't get frustrated and quit? My favorite part of the game is to coach little bits of help so by the end of the round they have doubled their distance and can't wait to play again.

How many times do you just walk your favorite course and pick up trash?

Just for your information all courses no matter where they are cost money to maintain. The money is raised by your local DG club. What are you exactly looking for more DG courses or DG courses that turn a profit?

The greatest aspect of this game are the many players way more dedicated than I am that have been building and maintaining DG courses all over the world that anyone can play for free and find a life long sport as fun & aggravating as ball golf but not as expensive. I appreciate the effort & work it takes to keep local courses open to the public.

I have no problem with Pay DG courses. It's a basic form of Democracy by voting with your wallet. But if it weren't for the army of DG players that have been building public free courses for more than 30 years you wouldn't be playing DG today.

I still believe and will always believe that any course that you have to pay to play is not a 5 star course.

You complain about 20 and 30 as if you are signing a life time contract to only play said course/courses. It's about the rare opportunity to have a "disc golf experience" or maybe not. If it doesn't live up to the hype, then just write an informative and descriptive review and rate it how you will.:)

Don't worry, they will have holy water to throw on you.;)

This man gets it. :thmbup:

Maple Hill broke into the top 10 as a perfect 5.00 rating.....it's a fine course and hosts the Vibram Open...but those early reviews...lmao..I just remember the Idlewild guys and the Flip City guys going absolutely bonkers....priceless

I'll be putting up another 5 for maple hill soon too, it's in my personal top 10.

I am glad I'm not the only one. If I get handled a bible on my way in people will see the first 0 rating. I don't care how great the course is. That being said....

I can't wait to get down there and play it. I have no problem dropping cash on a great day of disc golfing, I'm probably only going to be there once. Just like going up to Pauly's, probably not going to make it a regular destination so why not go all out. I play ball golf on a local city course and between 4 of us it's close to $200.. so to those who balk at the price, go elsewhere, no one is forcing you to play it, and if you think a cart equals a bigger cooler of beer I think you'd be surprised at how untrue that is for people that take it seriously. Do you honestly think most of us would drop $50 to get hammered and not remember or throw horribly? Sure there will be a few, but mostly the high green fees will keep that kind of player off of the course and off the property. So are they going to retrieve all the lost discs out of the water and then re-sell them at the pro shop? or try and call everyone whose names on them? How christian are they going to be?
:popcorn:

Dave and Candy are the best ppl in the world. They make you feel at home and bend over backwards to make everyone feel welcome. They do not throw/push their beliefs on anyone.

You will only find out on your own. We need to plan a trip there together. It is a blast!!

I am glad I'm not the only one. If I get handled a bible on my way in people will see the first 0 rating. I don't care how great the course is. That being said....

I can't wait to get down there and play it. I have no problem dropping cash on a great day of disc golfing, I'm probably only going to be there once. Just like going up to Pauly's, probably not going to make it a regular destination so why not go all out. I play ball golf on a local city course and between 4 of us it's close to $200.. so to those who balk at the price, go elsewhere, no one is forcing you to play it, and if you think a cart equals a bigger cooler of beer I think you'd be surprised at how untrue that is for people that take it seriously. Do you honestly think most of us would drop $50 to get hammered and not remember or throw horribly? Sure there will be a few, but mostly the high green fees will keep that kind of player off of the course and off the property. So are they going to retrieve all the lost discs out of the water and then re-sell them at the pro shop? or try and call everyone whose names on them? How christian are they going to be?

All I have to say is WOW REALLY? Their beliefs/religoin are not pushed or forced on anyone, also they (D&C) let us go in after our discs. They also said any discs that are collected they would make phone calls for the ones that have phone numbers on them. Dave and Candy are wonderful ppl...so until you go there and have your own experience with them...only talk about what you know (green fees, golf cart prices, etc.). Shut up and throw.

Smart Marketing

Couldn't help but notice that the majority of those perfect reviews came from players who have only reviewed those courses. Smells a little fishy

Not that I blame them. Going around telling everyone your course is the best is definitely a good way to bring attention to it.

Don't get me wrong they look like great courses, if I'm ever down that way I'll be sure and hit them up

I am glad I'm not the only one. If I get handled a bible on my way in people will see the first 0 rating. I don't care how great the course is...How christian are they going to be?

So, which way do you want it? Do you want them to be Christians or not? According to you, they aren't allowed to evangelize, but they are allowed to return your discs to you?

Am I allowed to point out your glaring contradictions, or would you prefer me to just ignore your stupidity?

Latest posts