• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selecting a disc basket for a new course

They are great baskets, but I'll have to see how much they can budget for me before I get my hopes up.
Spend more now, save a lot over 10+ years. The difference between the top $$ baskets and their close competitors is trivial ($25/hole). Go cheap and you'll regret it. We have 14 full courses in our county--2 with the 28 chain Innova Pro, 10+ (a few courses have enhanced layouts) with 24 chain Innova Pro, one with 24 chain DGA Mach Vs (has the colored "blade") and one with Discraft's Chainstar. Do not go cheaper! Some of our Charlotte DGers can debate what is best; they all catch but spit outs are more a function of the thrower than the basket.

Spend more now, save a lot over 10+ years. The difference between the top $$ baskets and their close competitors is trivial ($25/hole). Go cheap and you'll regret it. We have 14 full courses in our county--2 with the 28 chain Innova Pro, 10+ (a few courses have enhanced layouts) with 24 chain Innova Pro, one with 24 chain DGA Mach Vs (has the colored "blade") and one with Discraft's Chainstar. Do not go cheaper! Some of our Charlotte DGers can debate what is best; they all catch but spit outs are more a function of the thrower than the basket.

thank you for the advise!

If your looking to go cheap i'd stay away from the sports for permanent installation. They don't seem to weather years well. Go with the DB5/DB3. I couldn't tell the difference between the old 5 and new 3. We have 28 DB5 at Joralemon Park. They have been in for 7 years and no sign of rust or anything. They require a bit more tweaking. We used little metal shims where the poles go together to make sure they sit plumb. And we added inner chains. But that's an upgrade you can do after the course is established and you can raise some more fund. Bottom still if you can afford them get the Discatcher pro 28's

If you talk with the DGA you can get the Mach II's for about $250 a piece for 9 plus shipping. Those will be just fine for a course in a private community.

I recently played a heavily wood course in Colorado that didn't use the DIScatchers specifically because of the yellow band at the top. The course is in a park and the park officials wanted the baskets to be as unobtrusive as possible. So, no yellow bands.

I understood their concern, but it certainly made it difficult to see the baskets on the heavily shaded course.

Mark

Discatchers can be purchased in colors other than yellow, if something less obtrusive is desired.

By my understanding, the Sport is make to be portable, that was my concern as well. There shouldn't be any way that a car would hit them, but vandalism would be my concern. kids will be kids, and I want this course to be around for a while with the least amount of cost so I can stay caught up with the upkeep.

Perhaps not applicable to your installation, but there are other vehicles that can hit baskets. Mowers, in particular, but other Parks Dept. vehicles too. A good hit will take out any basket, of course, but a heavier-duty basket will survive a bump a lot better.

Perhaps not applicable to your installation, but there are other vehicles that can hit baskets. Mowers, in particular, but other Parks Dept. vehicles too. A good hit will take out any basket, of course, but a heavier-duty basket will survive a bump a lot better.

Good point. It boils down to my trust of the mowers......

Here is what I'm coming up with so far.....

Manufacturer - Model - Basket Frame - Frame - Price
Ching - Chain Master - Painted - Metal - $250
DGA - Mach III - Galvanized - Galvanized - $395 or $430 w/ sleeve
DGA - Mach V - Galvanized - Galvanized - $335 or $380 w/ sleeve
Disc King - King Pin - Metal - Metal - $375 any color. Buy 9 get 10th free
Discraft - Chainstar - Galvanized - Galvanized - $350 or $375 w/ sleeve
Gateway - Titan Pro-24 - Galvanized - Galvanized - $419 w/ sleeve + 100 free custom disc
Innova - DISCatcher Pro - Galvanized - Stainless - $325 w/ sleeve (Pro 28 $375+)
DGA - Mach New II - Galvanized - Galvanized - $250 shipped - $295 w/ sleeve
Innova - DISCatcher Sport - Elec Galv - Metal - $199
Lightning - DB-3 - Painted - Galvanized - $199

It looks like the Innova DISCatcher provides the best quality for the price. At $325 a baskets that will last for a LONG time, it seems like a great price. I do like that the King Pin gives a free 10th basket to use as a practice basket, and I like how you can get 100 free custom stamp disc with the Gateway Titan because the disc can be sold to help out with the cost of the baskets. The Mach II is slightly cheaper, but only has half of the inner chains as the DISCatcher.

Any more thoughts???

Here is what I'm coming up with so far.....

Manufacturer - Model - Basket Frame - Frame - Price
Ching - Chain Master - Painted - Metal - $250
DGA - Mach III - Galvanized - Galvanized - $395 or $430 w/ sleeve
DGA - Mach V - Galvanized - Galvanized - $335 or $380 w/ sleeve
Disc King - King Pin - Metal - Metal - $375 any color. Buy 9 get 10th free
Discraft - Chainstar - Galvanized - Galvanized - $350 or $375 w/ sleeve
Gateway - Titan Pro-24 - Galvanized - Galvanized - $419 w/ sleeve + 100 free custom disc
Innova - DISCatcher Pro - Galvanized - Stainless - $325 w/ sleeve (Pro 28 $375+)
DGA - Mach New II - Galvanized - Galvanized - $250 shipped - $295 w/ sleeve
Innova - DISCatcher Sport - Elec Galv - Metal - $199
Lightning - DB-3 - Painted - Galvanized - $199

Wow, thank you so much for pulling this all together! I have copied and pasted this list for future reference.

I have always been partial to the Mach III. Maybe just due to them being the standard where I started playing, but to wit,

The catching ability isn't necessarily the best, but my humble opinion is that it forces you to be a more accurate putter to avoid spits.

Where the Mach III really shines is the construction. These things are built like tanks, and will last you a very long time. If you pay the extra for powdercoating then you have (again, IMO) the most beautiful disc catching device in the world.

One more observation. Like a Gibson or a Fender - there is a certain sound that a Mach III makes that is part of the fabric of disc golf. This sound is just so pure and sweet, it cannot be reproduced by any lesser targets.

Not cheap though, and by the looks of it you are probably better off with a Chainstar or DISCatcher for this particular application.

Wow, thank you so much for pulling this all together! I have copied and pasted this list for future reference.

It was my pleasure. Luckily I had a little down time at work to look into this.

by the looks of it you are probably better off with a Chainstar or DISCatcher for this particular application.

The reason that I am leaning more toward the DISCatcher is that it's normally $425, but the course price is $325. I called Innova and the customer service was FANTASTIC. I talked to a guy named Ryan Baker and he sent me a printed copy of the disc golf course design book that they have on the website, plus a 2013 Innova catalog. I asked about a basket minimum, and he said that there wasn't one because not all course are at least 9 holes. Basically if I buy my baskets from them, and one gets stolen, then I can turn around and buy just 1 replacement for the cheap price of $325. I know that the Mach II is a little cheaper and is still galvanized, but for a slightly little bit more, I can get a "championship" basket instead of a "standard" according to the PDGA site. The main thing is that it's not really up to me, but to what the budget is that I will have to work with.

Just to update

The Innova DISCatcher Target is still the most popular disc golf target in the world. The Innova DISCatcher is chosen more than any other brand for new course installations.

As of 12-5-2014 using the DGCR Database:

There are currently 6548 courses worldwide and 2112 have DISCatcher targets or 32.3%. DGA holds second place with 1797 courses.

The Innova DISCatcher target remains the top selling target for new course installations. Of the 3453 courses installed between 2007 and 2014, 1377 (or 39.9%) used Innova DISCatcher brand targets.

More annual course target data by year*:

2014 337 new courses, 132 DISCatcher ( 39.2 %)
2013 439 courses, 171 DISCatcher (39.0%)
2012 473 courses, 190 DISCatcher (40.2%)
2011 464 courses, 183 DISCatcher (39.4%)
2010 426 courses, 171 DISCatcher (40.1%)
2009 440 courses, 191 DISCatcher (43.4%)
2008 364 courses, 151 DISCatcher (41.5%)
2007 354 courses, 139 DISCatcher (39.3%)

(*Original data from DGCR 6/6/13 updated 12/5/14)

There are now over 30 target models PDGA Approved at the Championship level with more coming down the pike in 2015. We'll soon be able to have two courses filled with Championship baskets and no two the same.

I try to sell Discatchers to the landowners where I design courses- in my area Innova does way more to support disc golf than any other company and I try to return the favor.

New Courses:
2014 337 courses,
2013 439 courses,
2012 473 courses,
2011 464 courses,
2010 426 courses,
2009 440 courses,
2008 364 courses,
2007 354 courses,

(*Original data from DGCR 6/6/13 updated 12/5/14)
Are we reaching market saturation since new courses are trending on the decline since 2012's peak?

Latest posts