• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Shallow driving putters

I'm leaning towards the Envy, but having read some up on it, some people are claiming that it's very overstable. Is this disc utility like overstable, or is it marginally overstable, or is it infact just straight stable? How does the soft Envy compare to the vanilla Proton Envy in regards to flight path?

The Proxy is also on my radar. How understable is it, is it Fuse type finesse understable or is it more like stable with a hint of turn?

the envy leans more towards overstable. it will not turn and it will fade. the Proxy is straighter with a very similar feel in the hand. its not Fuse understable though. they are very good compliments to each other.

I'm leaning towards the Envy, but having read some up on it, some people are claiming that it's very overstable. Is this disc utility like overstable, or is it marginally overstable, or is it infact just straight stable? How does the soft Envy compare to the vanilla Proton Envy in regards to flight path?

The Proxy is also on my radar. How understable is it, is it Fuse type finesse understable or is it more like stable with a hint of turn?

It kinda depends on how you throw. Both power and spin throwers will love this disc and get a nice straight with a late fade flight. Also nice short range s curves. But if you are on the newer end or low spin/power player it may be a little much. The different plastic options are all pretty similar. I think the soft glides a little better, and feels awesome.

Proxy isnt really understable, its more neutral. It will flip up or turn from flat slightly if you power it up, but will also ride a hyzer.

Last edited:
I LOVE my Latitude 64 Recycled Gold Line Spikes. The Pure is a Close second. I have the hands of a 5 year old girl, just for reference.

The soft neutron will hold its original stability for a loooong time. Mine has not changed since release. The neutron I've been throwing for the same amount of time has beat into dead straight with a tiny fade if at all, but still has retained it's HSS. I haven't thrown my protons nearly as much but it seems like it is breaking in the same as the neutron.

So I would say if you want it to stay stable go soft, if you want it to wear into straight with little fade go neutron/proton. They are not utility or zone stable, very workable and long for a putter. They will hold an anny to the ground if thrown hard enough on the right angle. If you go soft get a 165 or so for a bit more glide and distance out of the box. Or max weight for getting out of the air quicker on approaches.

Good luck man, they are great discs. (I myself prefer the Ion :) )

Last edited:
Well, what I really think you ought to try, Wims, is the Gateway Chief. It is, literally, a Wizard with a short top. The bottom mold IS the wizard mold bottom mold and the top is a very short version of the normal Wizard top mold.

It works very well as a driving putter and I usually reach for it when I have to do a forehand putt, because the lower profile makes it really easy to flick. It is also more stable than a Wizard (due to the higher parting line) and, obviously, not as "floaty". So, it won't turn over on a drive and it's good in the wind.

The Envy is the putter that taught me how to drive putters. I love this disc. Stable enough to hold up under power, doesn't mind a bit of wind, easy to manipulate a line. Its an all around great putter. I have a 174 Neutron Soft, a 174 Neutron, and a 168 Proton. I also just got a 174 N Proxy. Disc feels great in the hand and holds the exact line you put it on. I use it more for approaches and up shots, but I could drive it as well.

The best overstable putter hands down is the Zone. The Envy is ok but does not handle wind with any consistency. I threw it a lot for about 4 months and I loved it for short approachs and pop shots at the basket but under power and/or in the wind I couldn't trust it enough to take a spot in my bag. If wind isn't an issue where you play then the Envy can work but if you want a disc you can fully trust on any throw in any conditions it's the Zone every time.

Envy is way more versatile than a Zone. The Zone is an awesome disc and does what it does very well but that is just fade. Envy fought wind more than well enough for me, and capable of multiple lines. I will agree tho that the Zone stands alone

The Chief OS is for me, the perfect control driving putter. It is considerably more stable than any of the normal chiefs, which are nice easy hyzer flip drivers for me. Crazy amounts of control with the Chief OS. It does break in fairly quick to a sweet easy turning driver. A freshy and it's worn predecessor should be kept on hand to maintain a sweet driving putter combo! Hmm, I guess that could be said with nearly any driving putter.

Really tho, putters are cheap and everybody has an opinion, so try a bunch.... Hopefully, after finding your perfect driving putter, your grip lockyness will be cured!!!

The Envy is the absolute greatest driving putter I've ever thrown. It is very HSS but doesn't have a huge amount of fade. I would compare the flight to maybe a slightly beat Roc, but it's so much more comfortable in the hand than a Roc. Also, the Envy is a great wind fighter. I will drive with it into a stiff headwind and it will still go laser straight for me, though if you have problems occasionally turning discs over, it might flip in a strong wind for you until you really learn it.

The Pure is a close second. It's just slightly less stable than the Envy. It just can't handle wind like the Envy can.

Agree with the envy.

The judge is a shallow slightly stable driving putter as well.

Definitely, a lot of choices. Glad to see the evolution in putters going from deep to more shallow.

Also, I have pretty much determined that my release is aided with a beaded disc.

Yes your form is usually incorrect when you make the a mistake not the disc. But it seems with a beaded disc if you do shank the bead helps reduce friction/hang up causing less of a disaster.

Ringer or a Zone would work too. Zone's are a little fast for a putter, but definitely have shallow rims.

havent read the thread but off the top of my head i would say Ringer,Zone, Harp .. also the new Innova Colt

I used to throw the Rhyno, but it wasn't shallow enough and half the time they are domey.

Now I go with a Breaker or a Shaman.

The Breaker is about as flat and shallow as you can get.

If I need less beef I go with the Shaman, also really flat and shallow, very straight doesn't get enough love.

Shield, Mercy. Both are pretty straight and drive pretty far.

And Pure of course.

The Envy is the absolute greatest driving putter I've ever thrown. It is very HSS but doesn't have a huge amount of fade.

I want to second these comments. I bought my Envy on Memorial Day weekend, and already have two aces on it. I love leaning into shots with it and knowing it won't flip over. When thrown hard it's almost as long as any of my mids (I've had several ~300' drives with it measured by Google Maps and course signs) and is simply amazing in it's versatility. It's even kicked aside my beloved JK Aviars to become my main putter all the way around.

Envy is way more versatile than a Zone. The Zone is an awesome disc and does what it does very well but that is just fade. Envy fought wind more than well enough for me, and capable of multiple lines. I will agree tho that the Zone stands alone

Sorry dude have to disagree here get a nice Beat Pro D max weight Zone and it will change your life. hahaha :p

I putt with Wizards but I don't throw them. Instead I have a ZH Pure for US/turnover, an opto Pure for straight, and a Sinus (not a shallow putter) for OS. The Sinus is slowly becoming my favorite mold. Resists turn like crazy but the fade is not too intense.

Latest posts