• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short Range Anny Disc?

slimshadyemb

Birdie Member
I am in the market looking for a disc, prefereably a midrange, which will give me a right turn at real slow speeds. My mako and buzz and both heavy, 180's. These will anny for me but I kinda have to huck em. I'm thinking in particular about the hole at Blue Ribbon Pines in MN. Unsure of the number, but those of you who have played the course will no doubt remember it. Hole goes about 80 feet, then a 90 degree right turn and about another 80 feet to the basket.

I've read the stingray is good for this, but people also complain about the inconsistency in the mold and that turns me off to it. According to Joe's flight chart, the Glide looks intruiging, but I've never thrown one.

What are people using for this shot?

I anny with my XD and DART.. both hold the anny line well for me.. but its not a real sharp turn.

Last edited:
I am in the market looking for a disc, prefereably a midrange, which will give me a right turn at real slow speeds. My mako and buzz and both heavy, 180's. These will anny for me but I kinda have to huck em. I'm thinking in particular about the hole at Blue Ribbon Pines in MN. Unsure of the number, but those of you who have played the course will no doubt remember it. Hole goes about 80 feet, then a 90 degree right turn and about another 80 feet to the basket.

I've read the stingray is good for this, but people also complain about the inconsistency in the mold and that turns me off to it. According to Joe's flight chart, the Glide looks intruiging, but I've never thrown one.

What are people using for this shot?

Your describing a hole for a beat dx gazelle...

I found a Comet sitting on the course the other day, and it is very understable. But as far as going 80 feet and turning right sharply, you're going to be out of luck trying to do that with a backhand throw.

If you look at the flightpath of any disc, you will notice that the high speed turn is a long sweeping arc, and the fade is like a sharp hook. So my suggestion is that you develop a mid range forehand shot. You will be able to float that Buzz out there just a bit, then it will fade hard to the right.

I've never played that course / hole, but if you can't go through the trees, then there's probably not going to be a real way to park it. If the hole is truly 80', then 90 degree turn, then another 80', then I don't think there is a disc that can do that in one throw.

i use max weight Z comets for these shots. disc can be thrown flat for a nice right to left finish, hyzer release for a flat finish, or extreme hyzer for a flight that flips flat then finishes left. its my favorite disc to throw.

my favorite understable slow mid has lately been the latitude 64 fuse, in opto plastic. throw it even remotely hard at a flat angle and it will turn and flatten out nice and easy, not too nose divey. i use it to get around tough corners by leaning out and doing a flipshot, hasn't let me down yet.

XXX forehand.
I have a Glide, definitely likes to go right, but I can't really control how far right it goes. That's me though

EDIT: the putter is a good choice as others have said. My beat Magic would probably do the trick

If you're uneasy about a stingray...just get a Stratus. They get a lot of crap...but they're FANTASTIC.

Or use a nice understable putter like a Magic, Magnet, Classic Aviar....Or as others have suggested, and XD will work just fine, and feels kind of like a putter mated with a buzzz.

\/\/

But as far as going 80 feet and turning right sharply, you're going to be out of luck trying to do that with a backhand throw.

I would also recommend a FH because it is more consistent but it is possible to achieve this type of shot with a beat DX stingray.

I use a Tank as my turnover disc inside 250. They work so incredibly but good luck finding one.

Sounds like a short putter anny to me, or even a low/light flick (xXx)

otherwise, my go-to anny disc is a METEOR!!! I recently acquired a nice stingray but I find that the Meteor is able to get up and turn over quicker and at a sharper angle than my stingray..

Good luck!!

choice 1...throw forehand
choice 2...throw a putter
choice 3...throw a meteor

Latest posts