• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should Las Vegas be allowed to host the Western Region National Tour event?

The GCC pro Wraith I had was the best Wraith I've ever used, so they hold a special place for me. Vegas has so much going for it (cheap travel, weather etc) it really is a shame that they are having trouble securing land for a solid course.

NT's shift more money to the open field. We don't need 2 courses but our 1 isn't good enough.

Fair enough. But if you really wanted to cater to the old folks, why do they have to tee off early morning all three days of the event? Perhaps the old guys could get just one day to tee off last so they can play in the warm weather too.:D

Other than players, who are these spectators we are providing an experience for? I honestly believe that there are no spectators and likely will never be any. I say this with great love for the game, but I think it is truth.

Why have a National Tour if you're not going to try to build a spectator base around it? From the PDGA's perspective, National Tour and Major events are the showcase tournaments. Thus, the focus of each of those events should be on creating an event people want to watch, or at least follow online.

Fair enough. But if you really wanted to cater to the old folks, why do they have to tee off early morning all three days of the event? Perhaps the old guys could get just one day to tee off last so they can play in the warm weather too.:D

It's not that we're trying to cater to any particular division. As the article says our payout is more then some NT's so I don't see a reason to shift a larger percentage of the added cash to the open field.

I think it would be good to alternate the starting times because the winds out here a generally more mild in the mornings. Most of the older guys I play with prefer the early tee times though. They're the ones out there every weekend at 7am playing where as I'm usually rolling out of bed around noon.

In Vegas winds are all over the place and with tee times, it has been one of the worst events to properly calculate ratings fairly. Tee time order for both divisions and within divisions should be flipped at least one day to attempt to even it out a little bit.

Why have a National Tour if you're not going to try to build a spectator base around it? From the PDGA's perspective, National Tour and Major events are the showcase tournaments. Thus, the focus of each of those events should be on creating an event people want to watch, or at least follow online.

No one except the disc golf nerds on this site watch tourney coverage....I love how people on here argue like they are the majority rather than the tiny tiny percentage they really are.

No one except the disc golf nerds on this site watch tourney coverage....I love how people on here argue like they are the majority rather than the tiny tiny percentage they really are.

Spectators are spectators, whether there are two of them or two million of them. Without a product to watch, however, there will be no spectators at all. Ever.

So what exactly is the harm in trying to create a product that is spectator-friendly?

Spectators are spectators, whether there are two of them or two million of them. Without a product to watch, however, there will be no spectators at all. Ever.

So what exactly is the harm in trying to create a product that is spectator-friendly?

I don't care what you do....disc golf is not a spectator sport and never will be except to a very very small fringe group of people who are all on this website.....the tourney organizer gains nothing by making sure someone films an event that you nerds (myself included) can watch in our basements stroking our favorite disc.

There are quite a few spectators at The Memorial every year. The numbers keep growing. They aren't all disc golfers themselves, either. A couple years ago, I spoke with one of them while waiting to tee off. He and his wife come to Phoenix every year from Vancouver and specifically plan their trip around watching the event.

Whether we have spectators or not, these high level events "should be" designed to be spectator and media friendly at least for the finals. That's what it means to be a "professional tour" event separate from any aspects of the players winning money and getting endorsements.

There are quite a few spectators at The Memorial every year. The numbers keep growing. They aren't all disc golfers themselves, either. A couple years ago, I spoke with one of them while waiting to tee off. He and his wife come to Phoenix every year from Vancouver and specifically plan their trip around watching the event.

How many would you say? 50? I admit it has been 4 years since I was there but even if it is 100 that doesn't make it a spectator sport....people play disc golf not watch it. Why would I as the TD who's event fills in hrs and I gain no revenue whatsoever care about 50 weirdos who came out to watch?

Whether we have spectators or not, these high level events "should be" designed to be spectator and media friendly at least for the finals. That's what it means to be a "professional tour" event separate from any aspects of the players winning money and getting endorsements.

This is a joke right? With the exception of mcbeth even the players don't act professionally....disc golf is a small time event that is so far from mainstream it is laughable.

I don't care what you do....disc golf is not a spectator sport and never will be except to a very very small fringe group of people who are all on this website.....the tourney organizer gains nothing by making sure someone films an event that you nerds (myself included) can watch in our basements stroking our favorite disc.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be posting and making a big deal about how much you don't think disc golf is a spectator sport.

Any sport or activity that has any number of spectators is by definition a spectator sport. There's no harm in trying to increase the number of those spectators, even if the result is an increase from one to five.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be posting and making a big deal about how much you don't think disc golf is a spectator sport.

Any sport or activity that has any number of spectators is by definition a spectator sport. There's no harm in trying to increase the number of those spectators, even if the result is an increase from one to five.

I care about disc golf....what I was saying is no matter how you present it, how much money is on the line it will never be a spectator sport except to this tiny tiny group of people. We can argue back and forth if five people watching makes it technically a spectator sport but I think you know what I am trying to say.

To say there is no harm is not enough...in order to do something someone needs a reason or value....the TD gains nothing by trying to cater to 50 people who show up or a couple thousand who want to watch online for free.

Last edited:
the tourney organizer gains nothing by making sure someone films an event that you nerds (myself included) can watch in our basements stroking our favorite disc.
Not quite. The TD gets a free always running promo ad for next year's event, which will ensure a faster sellout, which may give him and the local club for clout for suggesting the local DG facilities need to be improved and/or multiplied.

Not quite. The TD gets a free always running promo ad for next year's event, which will ensure a faster sellout, which may give him and the local club for clout for suggesting the local DG facilities need to be improved and/or multiplied.

Are you really going to argue that if no one filmed it next year the Memorial won't sell out? Tourney participation will take care of all those spots don't you worry.

This is a joke right? With the exception of mcbeth even the players don't act professionally....disc golf is a small time event that is so far from mainstream it is laughable.
Just because some aspects of the sport do not currently or yet live up to professional standards does not mean those involved should not make the attempt. I certainly hope Pittsburgh is attempting to be professional about hosting Worlds, and from what I've seen so far, J. Gary and the team are working hard in that direction.

So again I ask, why have a national tour at all?

If the tour does not aspire to be a spectator friendly showcase of the best disc golf in the world, then it's just a way to hand out an extra trophy at the end of the year....

Just because some aspects of the sport do not currently or yet live up to professional standards does not mean those involved should not make the attempt. I certainly hope Pittsburgh is attempting to be professional about hosting Worlds, and from what I've seen so far, J. Gary and the team are working hard in that direction.

Why throw tons of money and resources towards so few specatotors when all are in such short supply? Disc golf does not translate to spectators....even as the numbers of participants swells no company has stepped forward in any serious manner for sponsorship....ask yourself why that is.

Why throw tons of money and resources towards so few specatotors when all are in such short supply? Disc golf does not translate to spectators....even as the numbers of participants swells no company has stepped forward in any serious manner for sponsorship....ask yourself why that is.

Maybe because despite the growth, we haven't yet crossed the magical threshold which will trigger the first big sponsor to jump on board? Just because we haven't gotten there yet doesn't mean we should stop trying to be prepared when we do.

Latest posts