• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should PDGA change MPO to MPD?

I don't care if they call it "Disc Golf Fun Time ". I know it's Open. You know what it is.
Imma be over here playing Am Masters and hoping I can NOT put a 995 and a 915 rated round together in the same tournament, as per my usual.

Open means open to those who qualify. It doesn't mean anyone can play. Every sport has rules on who is eligible to play Open. It generally means only those who have proven their ability to compete.

US Open (PGA) is open to anyone...who qualifies.
To qualify you must have a 1.4 or better handicap.

I know this isn't PGA and we shouldn't try to imitate them but I did anyway. :p

An Open in sports terminology refers to a sporting event or game tournament that is open to contestants regardless of their professional or amateur status, age, ability, gender, sex, or other categorization. In many sports, preliminary qualifying events, open to all entrants, are held to successively reduce the field to a manageable number for participation in a final championship event, which itself may involve elimination rounds (tournaments).

The term 'Open' may not be absolute. For example, in the U.S. Open in golf, entrants at qualifying events must have a USGA official handicap of 1.4 or less. Other minimum performance standards or eligibility criteria may apply in other sports.

Opens are usually found in golf, tennis, bowling, badminton, quizbowl, fighting games, snooker, darts, volleyball, ultimate, squash, CrossFit and chess.
Wikipedia

Missed window.

So my guess is that when you have enough people playing a sport so that the range of abilities is large, you have to then start qualifying all of your elite 'open' events in some manner, otherwise they will be oversubscribed.

Not truly open-open, more semi-open. I personally don't feel the nomenclature of sporting events is critical to the event.

I'm going to run an Invitational Masters Open... you know... for kids.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Open means open to those who qualify. It doesn't mean anyone can play. Every sport has rules on who is eligible to play Open. It generally means only those who have proven their ability to compete.

This, with the observation that anyone is allowed to shoot over 900, and earn that rating.

The other status limitations (age, gender) either can't be changed, or can only be changed with extreme measures. A 900 rating available to anyone.

Clearly you've never played with me.

I was afraid someone would call me on it, and challenge me to demonstrate how to do it.

At any rate, there's nothing on my birth certificate keeping me under 900 (though I like the claim that the "date issued" part is at least partly to blame). Most of the problem seems to be in my arm, or in my head.

If anything maybe change to MP9 representing the 900 rating minimum similar to how MP40 indicates the 40 year old minimum. :)

Wouldn't MP9 be for 9 year old pros?

Almost as ridiculous would be using Roman numerals to get MPCM.

But seriously, the division hasn't changed, just a few events exclude some of the players in that division.

And again, this is all because of the false dichotomy of taking cash vs. not taking cash. Why not let all divisions play for any prizes they want, and base the splits on skill, age, and sex?

If we are talking about renaming divisions, I feel very strongly that Novice should be renamed Casual. Novice sounds degrading to someone who has played for a couple of years even if they are still only 820 rated. Simply changing the name will significantly increase participation in that division and will improve the spread of players throughout all divisions.

Latest posts