• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Small Diameter Discs

Eco81

Double Eagle Member
The terms small and large diameter discs gets thrown around alot. Can someone please give me an idea of what a small diamettere disc is and what a large diameter disc is?

The diameter is the distance across the disc, from wing to opposite wing.

and where can this be measured from?

eb6.jpg

But on a side note, I swear my Skeeter is smaller than most of my other discs.

I consider everything you guys listed as small diameter, including roc's and buzzz's. A large diameter disc is something like an Innova Condor or a Discraft Tracer, which are legal for PDGA play. These are truly large diameter discs, Which are about an inch or two wider then today's modern discs.

The Roc and Buzzz are the best examples of large diameter IMO because they are larger than almost all of the modern discs, and are thrown by most players.

I've got an old school dx Jaguar I don't throw any more. It's stupid huge at 24.1 cm. and won't even fit in my bag.

^^larger discs tend to have more glide.. thats from my experience anyway throwing rocs and buzzz's...

small diameter are faster and have less glide...they are more like bullets as they penetrate....large diameter tend to glide more.......the Cro is a good wind disc because it has such little glide and wont be affected by wind as much

the cro will also drop like a stone once its forward momentum ends....the condor will move slower but glide along like a wing on air

small diameter are faster and have less glide...they are more like bullets as they penetrate....large diameter tend to glide more.......

Is this the reason why the PDGA set the diameter minimum at 21.0 cm? Would smaller diameter discs be more dangerous?

Latest posts