• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snap Vs. Timing, Maxing at 350

I first "saw" it clearly in the slow mo Will S video...I had seen the same video many times. But for some reason, suddenly I noticed his full reach back and full extension forward of his plant foot were happening at the SAME TIME !!!
:clap:
I noticed this exact thing not long ago and I think I posted it here somewhere -- I know I did on Reddit. It surprised me that Will or anyone didn't seem to mention that.

When most of us started throwing, I think you assume it's going to be like throwing everything else you always have -- you rear back and give it all you've got. Your whole body kind of moves in one direction. Then once you've started doing that and you get some muscle memory going it's REALLY hard to change and adapt to the idea of the "stacking levers" that you need for a proper throw.

DiscFan said:
I first "saw" it clearly in the slow mo Will S video...I had seen the same video many times. But for some reason, suddenly I noticed his full reach back and full extension forward of his plant foot were happening at the SAME TIME !!!

I noticed this exact thing not long ago and I think I posted it here somewhere -- I know I did on Reddit. It surprised me that Will or anyone didn't seem to mention that.

In addition to that, his left leg starts its inward turn during full reach. His knees end up pointing at each other at one point.

One thing that I noticed about McBeth is that his left foot is upside down as the disc passes his left shoulder. The weight shift happens much earlier than I ever realized.

Need more distance?

The answer is easy -> Start working out

That's all it is? :doh:

I've talked about that back-swing/plant foot relationship quite a bit as well. It's a great bell-weather for getting timing right. I tend to think of it as leaving your disc in front of you, waiting to back-swing until you're

A. Just past the top of the back-foot on an x-hop
B. Starting to push your plant foot forward on an x-step

Things got a little redirected...I'll be sure to hit the gym so I can bomb like Shusterick or Lizotte...

If anyone can give me some insight for my question on post #60 for warp speeder disc flight/line/distance I'd appreciate it!

I assume discs of this speed should be kept low like 10' high max...and it doesn't need to be aired out at all, correct? This drifting flight is probably how to get furthest distance, since the fade is mostly forward, is that right (there is no spiking fade at all)? Perhaps my throw line is ok, but I'm just having more trouble translating the exact same wrist motion with such a wide rim? Or the final possibility....is there really not that much distance difference between my speed 7-9 discs and this 13 warp speeder...just that it can do it lower?
Wide rim discs can go further on low lines than slower discs, that's basic aerodynamics. Wider rims have to be thrown harder/faster as they are more like simple projectiles like a baseball rather than a flying wing. More distance requires higher lines as well. Wiggins said something to the effect that most people don't nasty enough on high speed drivers.

Is he talking about forcing the nose down? Some controlled OAT?
I think he's talking about torque in general including some oat and throwing harder both of which can help with nose angle.

*Note* "Most players" refers to players that can throw putters cleanly and not getting much further on high speed discs.

^ Interesting. That's why I could throw the Vulcan months ago with an S-flight for 370-390' (with X-steps then) probably because I felt like I had to put "everything" into my throw...which ended up torquing it a bit. I cleaned up my throw and then it would straight/hyzer and I had to put it down. Now I'm snapping it harder and cleanly but the turn is way more drifty than before.

I'll have fun experimenting with trying to get it up a bit more, and maybe just really giving it everything to see if that prolongs the turn/flight/distance. Wiggins can bomb, so it's interesting he said that.

Things got a little redirected...I'll be sure to hit the gym so I can bomb like Shusterick or Lizotte...

If anyone can give me some insight for my question on post #60 for warp speeder disc flight/line/distance I'd appreciate it!

Not sure if it's redirected...snap vs timing. That timing is HUGE.

The gym one is hilarious, I play with a guy who is the "opposite" of a gym guy...and he can launch the crap out of a disc. The reality is I don't think it's snap vs timing..I think it's snap AND timing!

Directly to your #60 post...I was watching Nikko launch 4-500 footers on a disc review video he did on the PD driver. Seems like the distance off the ground was MUCH higher than what you mentioned. In fact seemingly every time I see 400 plus drives the height is pretty dramatic. They send it UP and out, with the nose down...crap this is more complex than they make it look. Haha

^Yeah over the course of this thread I've definitely figured out that timing = snap!! And now that I am getting the timing, I have to focus on the snap to make it stronger. All the advice has been great, especially making sure now to use my shoulder hard "through" the snap or outward pull. Plant leg bracing feels great too, it gives me balance, keeps the nose down, and gives me 20-30' more power compared to when I screw it up.

I saw that Nikko video too, it's insane the height he gets with the nose down! I think that's something that I'm going to have to keep working on, getting the right lines for 400'. Letting the disc fly. Right now I'm mostly hitting line drives and variations of that (hyzer flips/different shapes). I'm not complaining though, it's great for golf!!!

Thanks again everyone, timing = snap and the feeling is good. Right now here are my standstill distances, all average and consistently attainable with many molds across that "class" of disc:
Putters: 285-300+ (Aviar shorter end, Anode/Wizard longer end)
Mids: 320-335 (Roc shorter end, Core/Claymore longer end)
Fairways: 350+/- (Teebird/River/Jackal/Thief/Saint...all are nearly the same distance, just the line/trust is different due to stability)
Vulcan (my only warp speed): 380/slightly more

Thanks so much everyone, I know I have another "it" thing to get with the full hit, but I have been feeling some good things with adding in conscious wrist timing...especially more easily with putters/mids. Then I have to work back in a step and X-step eventually, which has proven difficult to maintain my timing with when I've tried. So I'll save that for last...I'd way rather have the accuracy without it and my distances are still good for my local courses to park most holes. All this work has been worth it to get to this point, it's great to watch the disc fly straight where you aimed it!

Latest posts