• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Someone Needs to teach Non Disc Golf players etiquette

yeah like some leaguers are total player haters....won't let 2 guys through when there is a six man scramble..must be because they think they are better:thmbdown:

seems like I hear a lot of DG stories like this one that come from Michigan. Just an observation...

yeah like some leaguers are total player haters....won't let 2 guys through when there is a six man scramble..must be because they think they are better:thmbdown:

...? Typically the 'leaguers' are the reason the course is there in the first place...

Have you proposed a course to your local P&R dept?

My son (Carpe diem) and I were playing a course in Victorville Cal on saturday and we were warned (by the locals we were visiting) to "be careful" in that neighborhood. We were also warned by previous reviews that people on the course could be a problem. The first 4 holes were OK, but from the fifth hole on, every hole we had to either adjust our throw or wait while the oblivious pedestrians walked across the fairway. On hole 7, we walk up to the tee and look down towards the basket and there's a guy sitting with his back resting against the basket while his party picnicked very nearby. It was at this point that my son pointed out that we were the only white people in the park. Not important, just sayin'. So I walk down there and say "Can you do me a favor? We're going to be throwing these discs (I show him one) at this basket. Do you think you could move for about 2 minutes, I'd hate to hit you with one of these. When we're done, you can come back." He says "Yeah, no problem. " And he gets up and joins his party. They all watched us play the hole and there was no problem. The guy just had no clue.

How dare you take the sensible approach to the situation, especially one that results in a resolution where everybody leaves happy & whole?

Don't you know the way to handle a problem with someone is to timidly back away from it, get all pi$$ed off, huff & puff, ruin your day, then come to the safety of the internetz & complain about the other person's lack of "etiquette", despite the fact that you never gave him a chance to easily remedy the issue?

Jeez, koogs, get it together, man.

UGH! I just don't get it, most of us are using public parks and parkgoers have just as much right to any part. Is it really going to kill you to skip a hole???

If it's an 18 hole course then ya I'll just skip the hole. But let's say it's a 9 hole course and 3 holes are being taken up by pedestrians that could easily use another section of the park. It gets really old fast, and I have no problem asking them to move or just telling them heads up.

As for your situation cleaning the course, I'd just skip the hole. I've seen clean up crews on multiple courses, and I always skip the hole or allow them to finish first. I expect others to do the same for me.

Well, I have to admit, they looked like very ordinary picnickers. Had they been all liquored up and wild and obnoxious, I can't say for sure that we wouldn't have skipped the hole. :)

I guess we are lucky down here with our courses. They are mostly all in public parks, but are set apart enough to keep non-DG'ers out of the way. Really the only time we have issues is when a jogging path runs parallel to the fairway (McDade #4, or some of the Bear Branch holes right next to the soccer fields for instance). We always wait for them to pass to keep a stray shot from pegging them. I've never seen random people hanging out near the tee boxes or baskets.

Anyone frequenting the Houston, Spring, or Woodlands courses have any issues that I have maybe been lucky enough to miss?

We and parks departments make the stupid assumption that people even know what the hell we are doing.

Here is a sign I whipped up that would be way more appropriate than the crap on most courses because people see "Watch out for flying discs" and laugh about the thought of getting whomped with a 5mph beach cruiser.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dgdisc.PNG
    dgdisc.PNG
    48 KB · Views: 131
That's cool, but maybe you could add some blood dripping off the golf disc. Or a chunk of an ear???

Good thing there's enough room to put "Unless you're already brain-dead" at the bottom of that sign ...

:thmbup: on the sign, but I'll bet a common reaction to that would be "Yeah, let 'em hit me with one of those, I'll sue their a$$ off."

Here is a sign I whipped up that would be way more appropriate than the crap on most courses because people see "Watch out for flying discs" and laugh about the thought of getting whomped with a 5mph beach cruiser.

attachment.php

Is it time for me to change my avatar? Are people laughing at me? Bill, why didn't you tell me in private?

Here is the one for the visual learners:
attachment.php

Attachments

• disc2.PNG
    disc2.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 160
My family was playing at a local course and there were a couple of people who had set a large blanket on the ground and were lounging in the middle of a disc golf fairway...
I just threw my shot well short of where they were, and went on up to where they were, stood in front of their blanket, and had my family fire away, assuming that I would be capable of deflecting any errant throws.
Good thing I was there, too, because my mother threw about 3x farther than her average right at the lounging couple, and I was forced to knock the disc aside. But I suppose we could have skipped the hole as well.....but what fun is that?

...? Typically the 'leaguers' are the reason the course is there in the first place...

Have you proposed a course to your local P&R dept?

Yep, as a matter of fact I was part of designing Mallaly over in North Muskegon area of MI. It's just a small course, but it doesn't make me feel anymore entitled to the next guy.

So this basically means they should not follow any forms of ettiquettes, as they can look down on those who pay the admission fees to play the course?

I am well aware of what you are saying, but is there some code I am not aware of.

funny, when I do play with the leagues(multiple)...they just say they are not letting anyone through....as in we(leaguers) are up here, and they(players) are down there.

I can see it when you are referring to a couple of people walking around with two discs and tomahawking every basket. It's me and the other guy who are moving fast with are 15 discs a piece, and still can't get any love.

Responses like yours is part of the reasons why I shy away from continuously joining leagues...I hate being rushed and also being a jerk, so why not let them(small fast moving groups) play through? "Dood, the course wouldn't even be here unless the league director got it going in the first place." That's great and all, but PLEASE...high and mighty LEAGUERS...let a player through...and don't worry about me breaking up the league, as if it effects your play anyways.

I have had the bad luck of hitting a guy at a course. it was early morning and i had 30 min before work so i stopped to play it was empty so started playing. On hole 2 it happed its a blind hill shot you shot from the top of hill most days i will check for peds but did not on this day. I let my champ roc fly and started to walk be hind it when i got to where i could see the pin i so this guy with his dog a yell four and he looks up just in time to get the champ roc in the face i ran down and he was OK just a bit lip and a sore face i said i was sure and he said he dint thick any one play this early in the morning and we both agreed to check the fair way every time. It sucks to hit someone.

so are you saying leagues you have been a part of have let fast moving casuals through?:thmbup:

yes the leagues that i play in is a pay course so we let the fast casuals play but we do tell them that it is leagues on Thursdays and for 2 bucks more they could play as well.

I dunno what time your league starts, but most people work and get off at 5ish. With 'never' letting people play through (theres 3 courses in the area, and 4 in my hometown - and theres a schedule posted...) most leagues barely finish before dark :/

Latest posts