• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Someone Needs to teach Non Disc Golf players etiquette

So, there i was, just approching hole 3 when i noticed a group of about 5 players. me and a buddy decided to patiently wait and just play after tey were done. After the first 2 hacked their discs into the woods, i looked over and noticed hole 4 was clear. So we just skipped 3 and moved on to 4. about2 holes later, this group walks up to us and starts giving us **** about we were behind them and why did we skip bla bla bla. Well 1 guy was really pissed about this and ws seriously about to start something.

A few others in the area told him whats what and he decided to calm down. He seemed like a regular on the course, so why so crazy about skipping holes?? :confused:

This is what we have at my course.

attachment.php

Attachments

• warning.JPG
    warning.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 3,580
So, there i was, just approching hole 3 when i noticed a group of about 5 players. me and a buddy decided to patiently wait and just play after tey were done. After the first 2 hacked their discs into the woods, i looked over and noticed hole 4 was clear. So we just skipped 3 and moved on to 4. about2 holes later, this group walks up to us and starts giving us **** about we were behind them and why did we skip bla bla bla. Well 1 guy was really pissed about this and ws seriously about to start something.

A few others in the area told him whats what and he decided to calm down. He seemed like a regular on the course, so why so crazy about skipping holes?? :confused:

I dont' see what the big deal was. They were playing slow, so you skipped ahead. I see people skipping past our groups, before I get a chance to tell them to play through, but I don't give a damn.

We were going on 20-something straight days of rain here in Portland,OR which believe it or not for this time of year is pretty much unheard of. So naturally on Sunday, the nicest day of the year, the park was packed with non-frolfers.

Many people are aware that it is a DG course and setup their picnic and play areas accordingly. However a large and completely clueless Russian family setup shop on a moderately long (375') and completely blind dogleg right.

To put it in "ball" golf terms they pretty much setup shop right smack dab in the middle of the green, even going as far as leashing their 3 dogs up to the basket.

When my group got to the hole we just kinda stood there in amazement for a little bit while I tried to comprehend this. We contemplated skipping the hole until the group ahead of us said "**** it" and teed off and placed their 3 discs within 10ft of the picnickers who then moved to safer spot off to the right under a tree.

However my rant doesn't end there when our turn comes up we all get our drives off safely, but have stand wait about 10 minutes for while one of them has a cellphone conversation next to the basket, and she's looking RIGHT AT US! ARGH! 10 minutes can feel like forever especially in between shots.

/rant

We were going on 20-something straight days of rain here in Portland,OR which believe it or not for this time of year is pretty much unheard of. So naturally on Sunday, the nicest day of the year, the park was packed with non-frolfers.

Many people are aware that it is a DG course and setup their picnic and play areas accordingly. However a large and completely clueless Russian family setup shop on a moderately long (375') and completely blind dogleg right.

To put it in "ball" golf terms they pretty much setup shop right smack dab in the middle of the green, even going as far as leashing their 3 dogs up to the basket.

When my group got to the hole we just kinda stood there in amazement for a little bit while I tried to comprehend this. We contemplated skipping the hole until the group ahead of us said "**** it" and teed off and placed their 3 discs within 10ft of the picnickers who then moved to safer spot off to the right under a tree.

However my rant doesn't end there when our turn comes up we all get our drives off safely, but have stand wait about 10 minutes for while one of them has a cellphone conversation next to the basket, and she's looking RIGHT AT US! ARGH! 10 minutes can feel like forever especially in between shots.

/rant

I would have yelled at her to move.

I've had a bad experience with local league players. My group came up to a hard dogleg left and we couldn't see or hear anybody on the hole so I went ahead and threw. After I threw we heard some shouting, my disc had landed about 15 feet from a group of players by the basket. I went up and apologized(I now know to yell and really make sure the hole is clear). One of the group just wouldn't accept my apology or let it go, he went on to basically chew me out for daring to play on a league night(I'm not in the league). I ended up just waiting and letting the group behind play through to get away from the douche bag. To make matters worse my group and the group in front of us were constantly waiting on these guys to finish a hole, they were very slow.

One time I had a foriegn family picnicing on the tee, they were foreign and had no idea of english so i just skipped the hole

There should be etiquette rules for both non disc and dics throwers alike. Parks should make the course more noticable with maybe caution flying plastic may knock you out.

Schenley Park, a heavily-used recreation area in Pittsburgh, PA has signs that warn non-players that discs may hit them. Do other parks around the country do this, too?

Wanna bet? You can be the test subject.

Not as the test subject. A buddy took a HS driver to the back of the head from close range and didn't draw blood. It gave him a concussion though.

Not as the test subject. A buddy took a HS driver to the back of the head from close range and didn't draw blood. It gave him a concussion though.
I don't care for anecdotal data. Let's do this the right way.

My most hated thing....DOGS !
I don't care what your state allows, but where I play there's a thing called a leash law. The asses that let their dog run wild as they are walking through the park annoy me. Oh, and the fact that there are like 4 parks, but they choose to pick the DG course to go walk their dog. In Mokena there's a hefty fine, but anywhere else I never see any mention of it. I don't care if you bag it up, there's still dogchit on the ground...much bigger than a squirrels ain't it?
/endrant

Maybe I'm not done yet - If they weren't clueless and cared to read the signs on the bulletin board, they might realize what it is. Maybe read the teesigns and see the numbers on the basket...and NOT WALK DEAD CENTER THROUGH EVERY FAIRWAY. If they understood what was going on and walked between fairways and watched for people...maybe.

If that sign went up on a public course, I'd bet the course would get pulled quickly.

Ideally this would be the case

I live in south central PA like the OP and most of the courses in my general area have some sort of foot traffic or other human hazard in play.

I would love a park to be specifically designated for disc golf but I am thankful for the courses we do have.

Plan a trip to Scarboro Hills down in MD - bring lunch and make a day of it. It is a dedicated disc golf area, and is a fun way to spend the day.

We did something like that over the winter and had a blast.