• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Something to Remember....Kind of a PSA...

davetherocketguy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I WISH I COULD PLAY DURING THIS WARM-A$$ED WINTER.

Stupid fricking broken ankle from 2 1/2 months ago...still recovering.

So those of you who can play don't you dare take it for granted. You have no idea how good of a thing you have until it's gone. The past 8 weeks have been killing me as I sit here on my lazy boy looking at bare ground out my window that's usually snow covered this time of year. You have no idea how great this game is. Seriously.

I'm going to play my a$$ off when I get back on my feet.

I'm not going to let some dumba$$ bad attitude knucklehead on my card ever get me down during a round again. EVER. (I will however, be VERY tempted to troll those types....)

My PT is going to suck but I will be awesome at it.

No matter how bad my score/throw is I will always say, "at least I got to play today."

I encourage all of you to do the same. Life is short. Have fun. Live it passionately. Don't waste time on being a jerk.

-Dave0

yep... I can't stand playing and have some low life trying to psyche me out... some think that is fair game, I think not.

So, did I miss the story here? What happened?

Yeah, nothing like a forced layoff to make you appreciate being able to play.

yep... I can't stand playing and have some low life trying to psyche me out... some think that is fair game, I think not.

So, did I miss the story here? What happened?

Oh yeah...No I didn't tell what happened. Well, I sort of did on another thread but here's the short version:

Slipped on some ice. Right foot gets hooked on a chunk of ice frozen to the pavement as left foot slide out. Right foot proceeds to make a 90 degree turn to the outside thus dislocating my ankle and breaking three bones. Wacky drugs at the ER as they relocate my ankle. Surgery the following week. 8 pins and a plate. Crutches suck.

I'm to the point where I can put pressure on it with a walking boot so I've managed to get rid of one crutch but I can't put all of my weight on it without a lot of pain. PT starts this week.

I've had four knee surgeries and two shoulder surgeries and I've always been back playing (baseball) way ahead of schedule

My secret: in PT, if they tell me to do 10 reps of something, I do fifteen.

I've had four knee surgeries and two shoulder surgeries and I've always been back playing (baseball) way ahead of schedule

My secret: in PT, if they tell me to do 10 reps of something, I do fifteen.

As a healthcare professional, I would encourage the OP to work with his PT team. Doing work outside the prescribed treatment plan and returning to activities sooner than advised is probably a poor decision, in general. I am not saying you did the above without advisement, but generally I believe the Masters+ prepared professional is a better source of advisement than the sage shamen of DGCR.

As a healthcare professional, I would encourage the OP to work with his PT team. Doing work outside the prescribed treatment plan and returning to activities sooner than advised is probably a poor decision, in general. I am not saying you did the above without advisement, but generally I believe the Masters+ prepared professional is a better source of advisement than the sage shamen of DGCR.

Yeah, I plan on doing what the PT tells me to. However, if they recommend extra credit exercises then yes, I'm going for the extra credit. :thmbup:

My wife broke her foot a few years back, and she got around on one of those knee walkers. They may seem a bit lame, but it was WAY better than using crutches. Hell of a lot faster, too. Not sure how close you are to ditching the crutches.

I feel your pain, Dave. I was rear ended in a car accident (not my fault) and suffered whiplash. My neck has taken 8 weeks and counting to heal back up.

:(

I played a round in a walking boot once. Didn't come in last either.

I partially tore mu LCL right before thanksgiving and am still recovering. No fun, and the mental battle of not being as active has been the worst part of it. I will say that, for me, substituting another activity that at least helps me maintain some level of fitness has been really helpful to my head-space. I'm not much for lifting in general, when i'm healthy i typically do one day a week just a general maintenance. Since I've been hurt I've been lifting 3-4 days a week and it lets continue to make some athletic goals and keeps me sane. Just my .02.

I can identify and attest to the sorrow. Some years back, I suffered a scalding burn on my left foot that made everything, even depressing the clutch pedal, painfully excruciating. I remember after many weeks of little healing, lying in bed one night and weeping over the prospect of never getting to throw discs again. But eventually, I did get to do so, and it remains the one, true, simple pleasure in life.

.......I believe the Masters+ prepared professional is a better source of advisement than the sage shamen of DGCR.

Yeah, but I believe a Masters-age disc golfer is a better source of commiseration on the agony of having to miss out on disc golf for an extended period of time while following that medical professional's advice. Some of us are also witnesses to the folly of not doing so.

Get yourself an iWalk and get out there and play.

My shattered heel put a bit of a damper on things, even kept me completely off the course for a week or two. A day or two after surgery I was out on my crutches throwing 2 or 3 putts. A week later I played 9 holes on crutches. Then I got my iWalk, took me about a week of practice on that to get up to 9 holes. Then within a month I was out on snowy icy hills playing competitive doubles on one leg, I even hit a $100 ace, using my iwalk as a pivot, so while I say it was on one leg, it might have actually been on no legs :/

That was 2 and a half years ago. Today I still limp and feel pretty good pain after a full day of disc golf, but I don't let it slow me down.

In summary, I completely agree with the op in saying don't take good health for granted and get out and enjoy life.

Get yourself an iWalk and get out there and play.

I've had that suggested before however, it's probably a little late now. Fortunately, I'm to the point where the doc says I can put weight on the foot and I can tell I really need to put weight on it. With crutches I've just gone from using two crutches to one so I'm not sure how that'd work with an iWalk. Are you able to drive with that thing?

Driving is always a point of contention among the broken footed... Is it possible to drive while wearing it? Umm, sort of, I did it, it's probably not recommended, and might not work in all vehicles because I had to sit with the iwalk pointing towards the passenger seat and drive left footed :/ I only ever did that around the property here, never on roads with other traffic, and I still hit a couple trees...

Driving is always a point of contention among the broken footed... Is it possible to drive while wearing it? Umm, sort of, I did it, it's probably not recommended, and might not work in all vehicles because I had to sit with the iwalk pointing towards the passenger seat and drive left footed :/ I only ever did that around the property here, never on roads with other traffic, and I still hit a couple trees...

Ok I see...Yeah that probably would not have been worth it for my situation. While I have oodles of sick days and vacation days I do need to work so since I got the cast off I've been driving. With my left foot - which isn't as hard as you might suppose.

The other issue for me is that I am near the weight limit for the iWalk. I know, I know I need to lose weight...Excellent idea though. Maybe someone else reading this will be able to make use of that device. :thmbup:

Latest posts