• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stamp Removal vs Disc Flight

I wondered the same thing about all my dyed discs but they all fly great

i like the feel of a disc after being wiped down with acetone, feels grippier - and clean.

Removing stamps affects the discs thrown by players after you. Example, throw a banshee into a head wind and turn around and exclaim " I swear that leopard never turns over"

I dunno bout you guys, why bother removing the stamp? I throw away the entire envelope when i get new discs. The stamp on it is already spent.

(wakka wakka?!)

i like the feel of a disc after being wiped down with acetone, feels grippier - and clean.

^^^just removed some stamps and ink a few weeks ago with my acetone. Holy crap! Never have I had a Z as grippy as a good cleaning with acetone. Time to experiment...

Removing stamps affects the discs thrown by players after you. Example, throw a banshee into a head wind and turn around and exclaim " I swear that leopard never turns over"

LOL Ive seen that happen a few times.

Although there are a lot of the same muscles involved I don't think you can compare the two things side by side. I remove stamps on the ones with the angry chimp face, I really like my Chimp disc though.

Last edited:
vibram's dumb logo and raised disc names on their discs don't effect their discs (i think...i don't throw vibram). but their logo and disc name has a lot of voided space.

even better, you could dye another name onto your disc to mess with your buddies even more!

*Pulls out a something understable with a Nuke OS dye on it for a long open hole* "Hey, you should hyzer flip your Nuke OS too- look how well this one does on this hole!"

A big, red, "Type-R" dye, or even a K&N logo, will totally up the speed rating of a disc. An NOS dye will completely validate you in talking about winning CTPs that you never played.

Replying to an old thread because 1) its hilarious, no less than 5 different posts caused LOLs, abd 2) I have relevant new information!

There is a real, scientifically verifiable reason removing the stamp can actually affect disc performance: by making it look and feel sleeker, you may subconsciously (perhaps consciously as well) throw it harder or with more spin, because it feels like that's how you SHOULD throw it.

You're going to do best when you have positive feelings towards the discs you use. When choosing what to dye on to a disc, I collect all the pictures I like, then (for drivers and most midranges) select for the images that make me want to throw them hard with lots of snap. Stylized pictures of birds or dragons or other things that fly are always good choices. American Indian artwork from tribes along the west coast produce some of my favorites. For putters I pick images that make me feel like they belong in the basket. A stencil of Elvis's face, or a chili pepper (Guatemalan insanity pepper style =) work for me, for whatever reason.

I've found that the SIZE of the picture is perhaps even more important than the content. Making it too large is a common rookie mistake, don't be afraid to leave lots of negative space around the "wing." I usually won't make anything taller than half of the overall disc diameter. Pictures that form something close to a circle are best, and they need to be as perfectly centered as you can get them. Freehand probably won't cut it, I actually attach a sharpie to the drawing end of a compass to do an outside border, so I'm guaranteed a perfectly centered perfect circle. Asymmetrical designs can work too, of course, but I don't know of any guidelines other than "you'll know it when you see it."

Obviously your mileage may vary, but experiment and find a motif that works for you. There are a million pictures online to choose from, as simple or as detailed as your artistic skill (or lack thereof) requires. Done right, the performance gains are not negligible. Plus, everyone you come across on the course will compliment your style, because they're all too lazy to do it themselves!

Latest posts