• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stolen Bag and Discs on Ebay?

Meulen

Eagle Member
So i was browsing ebay the other day when I came across a nice lot with no bids. 15 discs, a couple minis, an unidentified bag, birdie bag, etc. All in all, a pretty sweet setup. So I start reading the auction and this guy knows nothing about disc golf. He states that there are "15 big discs, and 3 little ones". After doing some research I realize that the bag is a Revolution Carolina Team bag, not cheap. Also in the picture is a PDGA mini with a number on it, so i go the site and look up the number. It shows that the person who the bag belongs too recently played in a tournament (Mid-September) and the bag-tags indicate that they have won multiple advanced mens divisions. It seems odd that someone who is good at disc golf would just up and sell there stuff and know nothing about it. So i send the seller a message asking how he stumbled upon the bag and he said a "thrift shop". Doesn't it seem odd that something of this quality from a serious player would just be donated to a thrift shop? I provided a link to the auction below. What are your thoughts? Just a side note, the name of the person selling the bag on ebay does not coincide with the name of the owner according to the PDGA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO-DISC-GOLF-S...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item3ef90137e0

I would maybe try to get in touch with the person who's PDGA number that is.

nice detective work there its worth a shot to see what the guy says

That's the thing I wasn't sure how to do. It gives their name, but no contact information. The first place I went with the name was Facebook, and i found someone with the same name who lives in Toronto, Ontario (where some of the recent tournaments were played, as well as the general area where the bag is being sold). I tried sending the person a message but didnt get a response. Maybe I'll try again.

The original owner of the bag is obviously from Canada, so I think you're heading in the right direction. Maybe there's some sort of club webpage...

I found the guy on discgolfontario.com. It looks like he is an active visitor to the site so I sent him a message there. We'll see where this goes.

Good lookin out Muelen. Regardless of whats up with the bag its cool that your looking out for a fellow disc golfer. It does seem kind of fishy. I dont know any one that into the sport that would just sell every thing all at once like that. Plus its obvious the seller knows nothing about dsic golf.

Wow! I agree, that looks very shady. Lots of pics of some crazy bag tags and accesories, not so many of the discs and bag. If it is stolen, the seller is not real smart. If it is not stolen, the seller is not real smart.

1. Nobody I know sells EVERYTHING in one auction, you would break it up and be more specific.
2. The original owner would have knowledge of disc golf (unlike the seller).
3. If the seller had obtained this by legal methods (buying or receiving as a gift) it seems like he would have put that story in the item's description.

It definitley seems fishy. Keep us posted with any responses!

I found the guy on discgolfontario.com. It looks like he is an active visitor to the site so I sent him a message there. We'll see where this goes.

nice work hopefully this turns out well for the owner of the bag and discs, who knows he might even try sending you a disc for helping him get it back

that guy better respond quick or his item will have been mailed.

I would put in a massive bid but I dont want to ruin my ebay account . . . it might be worth it to set up a new account buy it for as much as it takes and explain it to ebay.

isn't there a way to contact ebay about stolen property on there if the guy responds back?

There is a way to contact them about stolen property, and Ebay will report it to local officials with information about the seller. I just need to get a response from the owner first to make sure he is in fact missing his bag. The clock is ticking...

just click on 'report item' button just below the 'other item info' section on the right side of the page. It does sound rather fishy and the guy who's pdga mini that is should be notified. I bet the folks at pdga would be willing to pass along the info to him if you email them. They should have contact info for the guy.

Thanks for the heads up. I also looked him up on facebook and there are 3 Sean Dacostas that live near Toronto, so I messaged all of them too. I hope if they were stolen this guy can put a stop to it before the sale goes thru. Whether he can put a stop to it or not, if confirmed as stolen, ebay needs to be alerted and the dude will go to jail. Ebay doesn't mess around with the selling of stolen property

eBay does not allow the sale of stolen property. Selling stolen property violates state, federal, and international law. eBay strongly supports efforts by law enforcement to investigate any situations where users attempt to sell stolen property on our site. We will proactively refer cases to the appropriate law enforcement agency for investigation and prosecution when we determine that such attempts are taking place. eBay also prohibits its members from listing goods that have altered or removed serial numbers, as the possession and sale of such items is prohibited in most U.S. states.

If you try to sell a stolen item or an item with an altered or removed serial number, it may be removed, and your buying and selling privileges could be restricted.

What to do if you see stolen property on eBay

If you see stolen property on eBay or items with missing or altered serial numbers: Please contact law enforcement immediately. Under eBay's privacy rules, eBay's attorneys will provide important records about pending and past listings in response to an official request from law enforcement officials. Please inform the police officer handling the case that eBay will be pleased to cooperate in the investigation, and ask the officer to contact eBay using eBay's law enforcement-specific form. The officer should include all relevant information, including the case number and any item numbers or user IDs. This information appears on the listing page.

Please do not use the law enforcement form to contact us unless you are a law enforcement official. By having a contact method reserved for law enforcement use only, we can respond to those messages quickly in case of emergencies. Messages sent through this form that are not from a law enforcement official will be routed to the appropriate mailbox or individual accordingly. This re-routing may cause delays in response time.

Also here's the law on theft in Canada:
Where the stolen item is not a testamentary instrument and is not worth more than $5000 it is known as Theft Under $5000 and is a hybrid offence, meaning that it can be treated either as an indictable offence or a less serious summary conviction offence, depending on the choice of the prosecutor. If dealt with as an indictable offence Theft Under $5000 is punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years and, if treated as a summary conviction offence, 6 months imprisonment, a fine of $2000 or both.

I think all of us would love to see someone caught and imprisoned for what sadly happens at DG courses worldwide. Would be nice to see some justice on one of these thieving douchebags for once.

i did some googling on his name and i found this phone number for him so you can give him a call and hope he answers. (xxx)xxx-xxxx

Last edited by a moderator: