• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strategy For Laying UP Close to Basket

Providing you have the room on either side, just take an overstable disc (I throw my Vibram VPs) and toss it up high and far enough outside so it'll just hyzer in at the basket. It should put you close enough to the basket where you can sink your next putt. A very easy, controlled, consistent shot.

a nice anny angle with a soft judge that will come out of it. give it too much and it stays right, but release smoothly and with just enough power, it will come out of the anny, and straight in front of the basket and when it hits the ground, it won't skip or roll. That's what I love about the soft judge.

Anyone that normally throws all bh change up to a fh for this type of shot? I have been thinking of taking this approach as I feel like its easier to control the power on a flick shot.

Anyone that normally throws all bh change up to a fh for this type of shot? I have been thinking of taking this approach as I feel like its easier to control the power on a flick shot.

It all depends what kind of line I have. If the FH line is bigger, I'll take it over the BH. I've been working on this shot with a Sinus or a tensor for a little longer shot.

Yeah. I'm awful at not throwing backhand shots under 70% power. I too feel it's easier to control distance at this range. I love forehand annying Challengers and Buzzzes.

I use the Ion up to 150 feet for this shot. What I've learned to do is throw it with a little anhyzer so it flattens out and doesn't fade too far from the basket. I consider these shots the strongest part of my game.

This. I especially use that shot if I'm shooting from behind something (trees mostly). I can usually park an Anode if it's open.

I use a Zeppelin and just throw it nose up with enough power to get to the basket, but not sail 30 feet past. This strategy gives me a chance at the disc going in without being worried about a long comeback putt or rollaway.

I'll throw a forehand approach if the shot calls for it. I should probably do it more becasue I've hit more ~100' shots forehand than I have backhand by a pretty wide margin.

I will definitely use a flick approach if the lie calls for it. And I also have a distance window, probably from about 60' to 100', where I throw a FH approach, regardless of lie (well, unless that lie makes a flick harder). Other than that, my game is completely backhand.

I have been using a stiff stable Aviar since they came out for up shots. A beaded stable Aviar like a KC Pro. If I'm out of my push putt range (outside 75 feet), I use my old freestlye type shot that is nose up, good spin and a mild air bounce to keep it straight and loft towards the basket. It lands flat and around the basket with no roll. Sometimes I hit metal, sometimes not, but it leaves me with a easy putt. I definitely aim for a landing spot to not overshoot it. If it is grassy, I'll aim at the basket knowing it won't skip or slide away. Where there is hardpan. I aim in front to let it slide towards the basket. Playing catch with a putter can help practice different styles and dial in the release and or spin needed.

Yes, ^ This weekend, my buddy and I were playing catch with my putter, and I think it helped my upshots a ton . Just getting the feel for the power and angle of release helps.

Throw your putter, preferably a soft one that doesn't skip much, and land it just inside your gimme range. That way if your gimme range is 20 feet, it can slide or roll up to 40 feet before it's out of range.