• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Striker vs. Volt vs. TL

AceWraith

I have a TL and a Volt in the bag now, my volt is more of consistant every angle disc or mostly just a great stable disc. My TL is more of my hard hyser/turn over disc (weird right?) Anyway I can't drop my TL because I have an ace with it, and the Volt has a very consistant flight and a shallower rim which feels great in my hands. But my bag is filled to the max and slowly turning into a LAT 64 bag and I wanted some better thoughts on this topic from my specific angle.

Is the striker a better low ceiling/dead straight/ low fade disc?
Would you carry a Striker over a TL and why?
Would you carry a Striker over a Volt and why?
Should I cut a driver from the bag and just add a Striker?

sorry for asking alot. I'm really trying to just find the best fairway drivers, the only other disc Im even remotely curious about is a Stalker but i'll wait later to ask all that

You have so many molds! You miay find yourself playing better if you remove half of them.

I have no advice for your question.

My TL is more of my hard hyser/turn over disc (weird right?)

How is a TL both a turn over and hard hyzer disc? A TL is more like a River. A Striker is quite different. I would not classify it as a low ceiling dead straight disc.

The volt is a very straight/slightly understable. the TL is very similar, but a notch more understable.
My striker experience is a bit outdated and limited, but they were more overstable than both the volt and TL.

i've been carrying a volt since it came out and it had been my straight fairway driver of choice. I just picked up a striker a few weeks ago and immediately saw the same straight flight pattern (maybe a 'touch' more turn), but the striker seemed to glide forever with so little effort in comparison. on sunday, the 1st hole of the 3rd round i aced with the striker and pretty much immediately took the volt out of the bag.

Resuscitating this thread because I'm going into the field to test all these discs plus a CFD jackal and a Teebird. It wants to be a core slot in my bag and I love to try plastic so I thought I'd try everything in the vicinity of a fairway with good HSS, but not OS.

I have some experience with Volts. I find the HSS pretty solid - can be turned (especially in a headwind), but its reliably going to S out and fade. Flipped, it can hold a good long line for me, but I found the fade just a bit more than I hoped for for this slot.

Enter the Teebird. Got a 175 * Teebird and had a chance to put a few solid rips into it and really like it so far. Great HSS, solid into the wind. I can turn it if I need to, but it isn't flipping on accident. I like that it holds the high speed straight line for a good while, then it fades. Not OS fade, but definitely on par or greater than the Volt due to less turn. This is a disc with a very predictable flight. OAT eater. Like it.

GL Striker. Just put a couple shots down field with it for the first time doing some skins yesterday. I used it where I'd use my Volt and found it similar HSS wise - turnable, but by no means a pushover - and having seemingly less fade. Both shots I took were low enough that fade couldn't be fully determined, but I really liked the feel and line this took based on two shots. Give it the edge so far. It also seemed perhaps to be the fastest of the bunch.

Opto Striker - in the mail, I'll update later - your thoughts?

CFD - in the mail.

Champ TL - in the mail.

Volt has more movement in it's flight than my champ TL's. Volt probably has more fade on the end but a Champ TL is definitely more high speed stable than a Volt.

They overlap so much, i would drop the TL for sure though, and replace it with a striker or volt.

try the new proton volts, they are money!

Strikers are good discs but I've heard they've had consistency problems (weird coming from Lat) so I'd stay away from them. I'd say just stick with the Volt or Champ TL & drop the other discs, I see to much overlap.

I like the translucent opto strikers that are flat. Pairs with the C-PD nicely because it's just a little easier to turn and doesn't fight as much of a headwind as the PD but I can get more distance and glide with it if the hole is more open. Those two and a recycled Saint make up my control drivers and get the most of my teeshots.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/con...51&id2=8675309&id3=345876O&id4=777921O&n=1139

volts have like 0 fade when the pressure is just right and 8 crows are crowing and you're throwing while thinking about lions on parade. dude a lot of discs have 0 fade if you throw it right, doesnt mean it normally doesn't fade. the volt is a great disc because it does have the forward fade on the end that pulls it out of it's turn, makes it very useful to work lines. the champ TL is a lot different when new, it's more of a line holder than a line worker. you have to beat a champ TL quite a bit to get some serious turn out of it before you can use it work lines. i dont think they overlap a ton, you could probably use both if you wanted. it's like people who think you only need either an eagle or a tbird when both discs can be used very differently.

star TL's are all different crazy innova style. i dont throw them and recommend anybody getting a TL get a flatter champ non + rim.

Get a neutron volt, a proton volt and a shock and you won't have to worry about the striker or the tl

Definitely there is overlap in these discs - the direction I'd like to go in now is how they fly for you so we can have some intel on the slot they occupy.

Volt has more movement in it's flight than my champ TL's. Volt probably has more fade on the end but a Champ TL is definitely more high speed stable than a Volt.

This is what I personally am in the market for. touching on your later post, I did order a + mold though. I really like all the new discs with the 'easy release'. Is it just a grip thing or do you find the + mold a different disc than a stock TL?

volts have like 0 fade when you throw them up to speed and right nose angle

I've experimented with release angles but unless I go landspeeder with it, its eventually going to fade a solid 2 for me. I have a matched pair of 167 red Neutrons and have thrown a friends 175 pink Neutron and have had the same experience. Depending on the amount of hyzer on it, it flips up, rides a flat line, then fades; it turns over then S's back as it fades, or holds anny. Versatile. I like it. I'd like it more with less fade. Maybe that's just me, but as the control group in the experiment, I'll change the discs and see what gives me the larger window to hit my sweet spot.

I like the translucent opto strikers that are flat. Pairs with the C-PD nicely because it's just a little easier to turn and doesn't fight as much of a headwind as the PD but I can get more distance and glide with it if the hole is more open. Those two and a recycled Saint make up my control drivers and get the most of my teeshots.

Cool. I saw the FD was technically a '7' and wondered if it or the TL might actually fit under the faster Striker in the bag. After my first couple throws, I'm liking the Striker, so I'll consider this as I throw everything.

You have a ton of molds.. I would disc down.. 10 Molds max. (I am too doing this..)

I would choose the Volt over all of those. Volt is a tremendous driver. I use it over 50% of the time..

I should have just started a new thread.

I 'saved' this one from the brink because it involved all the same discs I'm trying out. The fact the OP has 20 molds is now beside the point. Please relate your experience with the discs in the title.

Thank-you.

I carry both a Volt and a GL Striker. Both go super straight for me... use them on tunnel shots. Neither fades hard at all. Reason I carry both is the Striker is longer than the Volt.

So for me, I use them in identical situations... just depends on how far my target is.

I carry both TL's and Volt's. I can see overlap with them but they do act like different discs for me so I don't want to drop either right now. I do not have a big arm but here's how they go for me. Star TL is my straight with some fade disc. It drifts a bit right (rhbh) but not anything to worry about and then ends with a decent fade. Beat up SE teebird (TL) this has become a favorite disc for me. It's a turn over disc but its very predicable and smooth. It can really get out there for me too. Neutron volt - has a lot of distance potential but when I throw it I have to really make sure I get a good snap on it. It flies in a nice big S and is easy to gauge where it will land. Because I need to put a lot on this disc and because of its big S curve unusually use it in more open areas. Proton volt - mine is about 4 grams heavier than I normally throw but it seems to be working out. It fits between a champ teebird and predator for me. I use it for wind and big sweeping hyzer shots. It's also better at thumbers and forehand than my old pred or teebird. I also carry a GL fury and river for US stuff but I'm pretty sure the river is coming out because of that SE TL. At my power level I like using the speed 7's for control and speed 9's for my distance drivers.

Latest posts