• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggested Disc for Narrow approach shots

The attached image is the shot I am referring to. The pin you see on the RIGHT is the A-Pin...the Red Line is the B-Pin which is about 100' from the spot this pic was taken...which is mid-fairway..

as you can see...no room to hyzer or anyzer...i need to toss it really straight for about 100'...

From this distance...even a little fade is dangerous...missing left or right blocks the putt

I would love to flick a pig at that

The attached image is the shot I am referring to. The pin you see on the RIGHT is the A-Pin...the Red Line is the B-Pin which is about 100' from the spot this pic was taken...which is mid-fairway..

as you can see...no room to hyzer or anyzer...i need to toss it really straight for about 100'...

From this distance...even a little fade is dangerous...missing left or right blocks the putt

It looks to me from the POV in that picture, you'd have a good anny line to the A placement. I would throw my beat DX aviar there. B position looks to have a risky flick opportunity around the big tree with something overstable like a rhyno or gator. If I were going straight at the basket I would probably backhand or flick my star aviar. Anything w/i 150' for me is pretty much a go-to putter shot.

Tight shot if you're going straight, and I understand the difficulty you're having finding something that will execute it properly.

That said, the disc you're looking for may have these qualities:

1. low cruising speed - so you don't have to put too much on it or risk blowing past;
2. stable/slightly understable at cruising speed; and
3. minimal/non-existant fade.

Given those options, I'd recommend a neutral or slightly understable putter or slow (speed <4) mid, the former thrown flat and the latter thrown with a little hyzer so it tables up quickly and flies straight. I don't currently carry a disc that will do that - everything in my bag will fade too much - but my X Comet or DX Birdie comes to mind, both still currently the shelf.

I'd thumb roll a stiff putter to lay up... or run at it straight with a super beat in putter.

It looks to me from the POV in that picture, you'd have a good anny line to the A placement. I would throw my beat DX aviar there. B position looks to have a risky flick opportunity around the big tree with something overstable like a rhyno or gator. If I were going straight at the basket I would probably backhand or flick my star aviar. Anything w/i 150' for me is pretty much a go-to putter shot.

No way to anny it...that thick group of trees to the left is actually in front of the basket....the red line is about 25' beyond. I would imagine you could anny it to the opening between the trees but that leaves you with a 30-35 footer...outside my comfort zone....

I saw two references to "flicking" a disc and one to "thumb roll"...not sure what these are....i assume "flick" is the same as the wrist snap...and "thumb roll" is literally rolling a disc up there?

The biggest issue with my game is my ability to get up and down from 100'
+
...mainly a Yeti Aviar but it doesn't glide well
+
...I really have to crank it to get it close from 100' and that typically means i turn it over or hyzer it on accident...
------------------------------

Practice.

You don't need a new disc brother, you need to practice throwing putters. A Yeti has plenty of glide, and is a great disc for 100' straight/narrow approaches.

Playing catch is a great way to practice this, especially because you have to golf discs with enough touch so that they're catchable and won't hurt the other person. Try doing that for just 5-10 minutes before every round and I'll bet you'll improve rapidly.

Playing catch is a great way to practice this, especially because you have to golf discs with enough touch so that they're catchable and won't hurt the other person. Try doing that for just 5-10 minutes before every round and I'll bet you'll improve rapidly.

I like it! Will give this a whirl the next time out with friends.

Just saw the pic...I'm going to re-emphasize playing catch.

Smooth flat release on a putter that drifts right to the A-pin, or if it's new a *touch* of anny. You COULD throw straight but that's a tight gap, give yourself a soft anny/drifting landing.

I like it! Will give this a whirl the next time out with friends.

:hfive: I used to think it was dumb, but the locals out here in SF do it almost daily, especially the more..."seasoned" veterans. I started joining in, they start close and will get out to 150-200' catch throws by the end and it greatly improved my understanding of how to execute soft landing approaches. It also let me really get to know my discs. :thmbup:

Awesome idea we'll have to try it.

Just saw the pic...I'm going to re-emphasize playing catch.

Smooth flat release on a putter that drifts right to the A-pin, or if it's new a *touch* of anny. You COULD throw straight but that's a tight gap, give yourself a soft anny/drifting landing.

The A-Pin isn't as much my worry. I have a seasoned Magnet that has a nice gentle right turn when thrown flat or a new wolf (-4 Turn) that turns harder...I can hit that A-Pin location without a problem.

The rough one is the B-Pin (The Red Line)...any anny (LOL) or hyzer for that matter, and I cannot see the basket to putt.

I'll suggest the OP play putter only rounds. Learn to use that putter man! Short game is for the winners.

I satred my "Getting better" phase by only taking 1 driving putter, and 1 normal putter to the course...(a KC for distance and JK for putting)

The amount I learned on those rounds was priceless. Having less choices makes you really learn to work your discs. Then you can translate that later to finding gaps in your game and filling them with discs.

This is why i have so few different molds in my bag now....but still carry 20 discs.

No way to anny it...that thick group of trees to the left is actually in front of the basket....the red line is about 25' beyond. I would imagine you could anny it to the opening between the trees but that leaves you with a 30-35 footer...outside my comfort zone....

Man, that really looks like a good anhyzer line to me. Low/hard shot unless there is a big tree almost to the basket behind the one that is centered in the pick, i'd be throwing a slight turnover (not hard anhyzer) aviar nice and low and try to skip just left of the group of tress in front of the basic

For B, i would shoot my aviar aimed at the little tree all the way down on the left....with just a touch of turnover to it, so it'd fade toward the right of the opening and then drift back to the center right at the basket...or depending on the opening gaps on a hyzer route, come in with a soft anhyzer whippet (which flips hard left for rhbh) which could curve around to the right, and then hard back left pretty nicely at that distance when thrown softly...or maybe a skip shot with the whippet even further to the right starting....but probably go with my aviar shot.

edit: this is how i would approach if this were my shot, and i don't know 100% what is up there and exactly how the trees align. Obviously what i plan and what happens isn't 100%, but that was my thought process on each of these basket placements.

I used to use a Mako for this shot, but the wide diameter could cause some issues. You could also try a dart.

I saw two references to "flicking" a disc and one to "thumb roll"...not sure what these are....i assume "flick" is the same as the wrist snap...and "thumb roll" is literally rolling a disc up there?

A flick is a FH / sidearm shot.
And yes, a thumb roller is used to roll the disc along the ground.

my personal opinion would be the rattler it throws just like an ultimate disc. you can get a nice fan grip on that bad boy and it will hold 85% of the lines you can think of throwing especially straight and anny lines. Its only weakness is a pretty angled hyzer but c'mon its only a putter it cant do it all.

I love the Rattler for sticking approaches. It is slow and has very little fade, so it tends to stay put when it lands. I think everyone should have a disc like this in their bag.

Its also surprisingly stable. ManU and I were playing catch in a field about 250' apart and it was holding a solid line without flipping over...this is at 3500' elevation though.

Lots of fh putter roller gaps from the looks of it.