• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tallest disc golfer!

Everett Evans

Par Member
Just found out that local guy Bob Wegner is an avid disc golfer. He's 7'8", which I'm guessing makes him the tallest regular player in the world.

All you tall guys (and Nova) out there talk about ape index, whip, reach back, and benefits of being tall, but at what point would it become a detriment?

Anyone know Bob (I once saw him far off in a crowd, but don't know him personally)? Is he on DGCR?

Tall stories, anyone?

All you tall guys (and Nova) out there talk about ape index, whip, reach back, and benefits of being tall, but at what point would it become a detriment?
When it causes you to be slower. Or perhaps gripping the disc like it's a mini, like Shaq grips a basketball like it's a tennis ball to most mortals.

Just found out that local guy Bob Wegner is an avid disc golfer. He's 7'8", which I'm guessing makes him the tallest regular player in the world. All you tall guys (and Nova) out there talk about ape index, whip, reach back, and benefits of being tall, but at what point would it become a detriment? Tall stories, anyone?
Might get more 2m penalties in California.

We talked my Jamaican friend who's 6'6" or 6'7" into getting into it and he's just getting the hang of golf discs. The first time we showed him how to throw a tomahawk it went about a million feet. It's disgusting to watch him throw over the moon and be like "is that good?" Lol.

Is 5ft11 tall? then I guess I am tall, but I have long arms too.

Ummm. No. You're only like 16 right? You should get over 6ft. I'm at 6'2", and it's plenty. Calvin Heimburg is 6'5" IIRC, but even PM at 5'8" throws crazy far, so height seems to have very little effect on how far you can throw.

Ummm. No. You're only like 16 right? You should get over 6ft. I'm at 6'2", and it's plenty. Calvin Heimburg is 6'5" IIRC, but even PM at 5'8" throws crazy far, so height seems to have very little effect on how far you can throw.
You don't have to be tall to have big orangutan factor...
TinyCarefulBlackfootedferret-size_restricted.gif

It's all upsides to me, until I get into the woods. Then I'm that much closer to the canopy when I throw, and low-hanging branches and twigs are a never-ending annoyance to me. Some wooded courses make me actively angry, as from the time I go into the woods until I leave, I cannot stand up straight, am constantly being gigged by branches, etc.

All else being equal, being tall is an advantage because of leverage, etc. Longer levers generate more force

"Give me a lever long enough and I can move the Earth" ~ Archimedes

The key part of my first sentence is "all else being equal" (obviously)

All else being equal, being tall is an advantage because of leverage, etc. Longer levers generate more force

"Give me a lever long enough and I can move the Earth" ~ Archimedes

The key part of my first sentence is "all else being equal" (obviously)

Until it's on the bottom shelf, or in this case... you're under low hanging branches, especially over the damned tee-pad

At what point does putting start to get impacted? Big Jerm mentioned at Waco (I think?) that elevated baskets are easier for him, but at 7'8" I would think putting down to traditional baskets would suck.

At what point does putting start to get impacted? Big Jerm mentioned at Waco (I think?) that elevated baskets are easier for him, but at 7'8" I would think putting down to traditional baskets would suck.

Any time I'm putting downhill and someone points out that it's a tricky putt, I laugh and reply that every putt is a downhill putt to me. :D

Besides, I can get all the putters out of the basket for my card on elevated baskets! It makes me feel good to be helpful.

Latest posts