• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Technohic Drive Critique (Video)

The only thing I will comment on is the foot work. I think that little bounce you have going on is ruining it for you. Your follow through on the last vid looked real good and I think if you got the x-step down you would be in real good shape.

I could be totally wrong but I get into my x-step by leading with the opposite foot. (From my throwing hand) I start out facing the basket, lead with my opposite foot, and "turn" into the x-step. Right now it looks to me as though you are leading off on the wrong foot, and that'll mess up any ole' thing. ;) Altogether I think my whole motion ends up being 5 steps. Your drive is happening in 4 steps, if you count the bounce.

Like I said I may be a total noob but try leading with our opposite when starting your motion.

Someone said after the first vid to start with my lead foot and that opened up my stride a bit leading me into the follow through a little better. Are you meaning not start with the cross behind but start facing; left foot, then right, then cross behind with the left, then plant?

Someone said after the first vid to start with my lead foot and that opened up my stride a bit leading me into the follow through a little better. Are you meaning not start with the cross behind but start facing; left foot, then right, then cross behind with the left, then plant?

I think this might be too big of a change for you. I've tried starting out facing the target like that too, but it just messed me up.

Those couple pics r interesting. On the second pic I thought u had released too high, but it doesn't show that. It does look like your shoulder angle is too flat for a hyzer shot though and that's probably why it came out anny. You want the should angle to mirror the angle u want the disc to come out at.

In the "Drive 5" picture look how far away the disc is from your body. It should be right next to your right pec at that point.

Good catch. I think the same goes for the other pic also as I think both pics are the same point in the throw, Im just turned a bit too much on the 2nd one.

Going to work on that with a single step pull tomorrow.

Good catch. I think the same goes for the other pic also as I think both pics are the same point in the throw, Im just turned a bit too much on the 2nd one.

Going to work on that with a single step pull tomorrow.

Personally, I think people make too much of bringing the disc in right against your body on the pull through. I think u get a little more leverage if u have a little space in between. If it feels comfortable like this, I would stick with it. For now I would focus on getting your angles figured out and how to work the disc a little bit.

Personally, I think people make too much of bringing the disc in right against your body on the pull through. I think u get a little more leverage if u have a little space in between. If it feels comfortable like this, I would stick with it. For now I would focus on getting your angles figured out and how to work the disc a little bit.

Well; it does add some snap if you keep it close. Its like in the hammer drill; you need it to be in close to get that hammer action. The wrist closes then bursts open.

The problem with working on angles first, then working on tat is there is a good chance I would have to adjust angles again once I start getting the disc closer to the chest; which will also equal my elbow being out a bit more.

Well; it does add some snap if you keep it close. Its like in the hammer drill; you need it to be in close to get that hammer action. The wrist closes then bursts open.

The problem with working on angles first, then working on tat is there is a good chance I would have to adjust angles again once I start getting the disc closer to the chest; which will also equal my elbow being out a bit more.

I still think it comes down to what you're most comfortable with. If you're used to having some space, I don't think you'll gain much by changing that. Because your basic position in the pics, with the bent elbow, is good.

I still think it comes down to what you're most comfortable with. If you're used to having some space, I don't think you'll gain much by changing that. Because your basic position in the pics, with the bent elbow, is good.

You might be right. I can't attest to how much it helps until I know I've done it right and compared it to what Im doing now.

I just figure, right now Im doing the stand still to 1 step throw to get a feel and more control of my weight shift and follow through, so while I have the footwork minimized for this, it seems like a great time to also work on my reachback for rotation and pull through the hit which could get very messy if I did it with a full x-step/run up

You might be right. I can't attest to how much it helps until I know I've done it right and compared it to what Im doing now.

I just figure, right now Im doing the stand still to 1 step throw to get a feel and more control of my weight shift and follow through, so while I have the footwork minimized for this, it seems like a great time to also work on my reachback for rotation and pull through the hit which could get very messy if I did it with a full x-step/run up

You could tinker if u wanted to, but I kinda believe in 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' philosophy, lol. Personally, I like some space in there and it just doesn't feel right when I'm right up against my body.

Anyway, I'm off to the park. Enjoy your Friday!

Thats my goal. I dont think I will ever have perfect form but I want to try to get as close as I can so I will be throwing as far as I can. Until Im at least happy with how far I can throw, I will work on every tiny thing possible.

Watching the vids, it looks like Im comming in close early causing it to pop out away from my body. I need to get that elbow out and have the disc just miss my right pec (or moob; you've seen the vids) as I rotate.

This is actually pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. I guess it could be looked at as a big change if you are used to standing with your side to the basket.

As you go into that x-step you start to turn so you are ending up sideways anyway. Just walk the steps out a few times and see how it feels to you. Try using the whole tee-pad with it, getting good movement and stride.

If you give it a shot let me know how it works out for you.

I will give it a try in the field along with working on form there. Its just too unpredictable to do changes in form while on the course.

Seriously, I tried my first round and shot +22 long tees, pro par at Roscoe. 2nd round, I just releaxed and wasnt even trying to throw hard but I think I had a real chance to get a 3 on every hole; but I missed some putts and shot +9. (been ignoring that while doing this. Need to get back on it)

Thats my goal. I dont think I will ever have perfect form but I want to try to get as close as I can so I will be throwing as far as I can. Until Im at least happy with how far I can throw, I will work on every tiny thing possible.

Watching the vids, it looks like Im comming in close early causing it to pop out away from my body. I need to get that elbow out and have the disc just miss my right pec (or moob; you've seen the vids) as I rotate.

I hear ya. It's natural that everybody wants to throw FAR! But as I'm working out my throws, it seems like distance is one of the last things to come. Distance seems to be the result of doing everything well during a throw, including proper mechanics, good footwork, proper angles, proper grip, etc. Have u had a chance to throw lately? Any good progress?

I hear ya. It's natural that everybody wants to throw FAR! But as I'm working out my throws, it seems like distance is one of the last things to come. Distance seems to be the result of doing everything well during a throw, including proper mechanics, good footwork, proper angles, proper grip, etc. Have u had a chance to throw lately? Any good progress?

Not since Saturday and that second round things seemed to be moving smoothly and I was throwing really well; I just didnt try to record it because I was maintaining a sort of relaxed focus and juggling that and being able to be good company to a buddy that was with me. I did notice that I lose a lot of control if I take my eyes off my target and it helps me keep the discs nose down if I target a spot on the ground somewhere between me and the basket along the path I want to take.

Looks like this weekend will be pretty nice so I likely will get a couple rounds in and hit the field; where I prefer to record since I almost lost my yellow GL River a couple times messing with the phone and taking my eyes off of it.

gotta get that approach/run up fixed, thats first, second i think youre pulling a little low, around your belly button. Try above that a little and see how it feels.