• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird, thoughts on the plastics

The 175 Champ 'Bird I bought was way too overstable for me to throw well. HTH

Curtis

Exact same thing happened to me. I need to try a much lighter one as this one has soured me on TeeBirds but it's obviously a great disc with how many people love it.

Exact same thing happened to me. I need to try a much lighter one as this one has soured me on TeeBirds but it's obviously a great disc with how many people love it.

My 166 Star still begins to fade just a tad early for my taste, but that is one reason I'm letting my son throw it until he gets one of his own. I think it will beat in to perfect. The 150 Star Teebird is already where I want it, but I'm afraid of it on windy days until I've thrown it enough to know and trust it.

Curtis

I honestly love DX plastic. Yeah, it gets beat to hell quick. But right out of the box it feels great and flies like it should. Once they are torn up I'm able to use them as rollers. Champ is tuff as nails but so damn overstable for me. Star is pretty slick, but I have to buy it light. It can be windy here and I'm not a fan of light discs most of the time.

I put mine back in the bag and am using it for an overstable mid since it's so beefy.

The other reason I put in back in is it's a beautiful shade of blue and breaks up all the red and yellow discs in my bag. It's a feng shui thing. I think.

If you want a beefy Teebird get a Champ Brinster
If you want it get get flippy get DX
If you want it to age slowly get a Star
If you want it slightly overstable get a Champ

Stability from beefy to flippy (in general PLH, weight & dome have a lot to do with it)
Champ, Star. DX

I carry a Glo CFR Teebird, E* Teebird, a beat up 11x Champ Teebird, and a 8/10 11x Champ Teebird. I actually feel the GLO CFR Teebird is almost like a Firebird stability wise. It has that Gummy feel to it that I love. If you can find one I would recommend getting one!

It sounds to me like you need a 150g Champ TB. I'm not sure how they are in general, but I picked up a very flat, extremely gummy dayglo green 150g Champ TB and it flies like a DX Teebird for me out of the box. It has a little bit of turn, and fades like a Teebird, but it's ridiculously easy to throw and if I really get a hold of one, it's as long as any distance driver. They're really fun to throw, and now I see how the TB could hold the distance record like it did.

I'd recommend one of those, though I'm not sure how easy they are to come by. (I bought mine from my local shop, because it was so unique). Sounds like just what you need.

any info on the starlite teebirds. if they have 165 ones i think i might die!!!

For someone who throws somewhat hard wouldn't a 150 starlight be very understable or flippy? I use max weight DX birds. But was intrigued by the starlights I saw yesterday.

yeah but they wouldn't be super stable like discs with starlite. i'm thinking they would be more like 11x tbs?

btw max weight is 159 which is okay just not that great.

so the starlite discs have actually been keeping their stability even while going down that far in weight? i just assumed it was bs but if no thats pretty sick ...

i have a bunch of starlite destroyers and at 165 they are more stable than a 175 destroyer. that is why the pros throw them. go further and more stable. but don't have any data on the teebirds.

i have a bunch of starlite destroyers and at 165 they are more stable than a 175 destroyer. that is why the pros throw them. go further and more stable. but don't have any data on the teebirds.

I have a 169 Destroyer that's pretty beefy as well. The old starlite Destroyers were intentionally "stabilized". I'm guessing the "stabilizing" is the same thing they did for the CFR PDs to make them beefier. My thought is they just let them cool in the mold a little longer to keep the PLH higher.

yeah but they wouldn't be super stable like discs with starlite. i'm thinking they would be more like 11x tbs?

btw max weight is 159 which is okay just not that great.

I'm not sure why they'd be more stable than a normal Star TB. You're talking stable in terms of HSS, not overstable, right?

My 162g Star is plenty stable. I'm only getting it out a little past 350', but it holds a straight line the entire way and has a solid fade at the finish. I can get my 150g Champ to 375' and it holds a similar line, it's just easier to throw higher in the air for more distance for me.

I've admittedly never thrown one, but I'm highly skeptical that they'd be better than your average light Star or Champ TB. I'll try one out when I get the chance, but I seriously doubt that this Starlite stuff is anything more than a marketing gimmick when it comes to 150 class discs that were already being made using Innova's older production methods. Just like a 175g Blizzard Dominator is no better than a Dominator without Blizzard on the label.

What are the thoughts on the AJ Star Teebirds, and Brinster Champ Teebirds?

I'm not sure why they'd be more stable than a normal Star TB. You're talking stable in terms of HSS, not overstable, right?

My 162g Star is plenty stable. I'm only getting it out a little past 350', but it holds a straight line the entire way and has a solid fade at the finish. I can get my 150g Champ to 375' and it holds a similar line, it's just easier to throw higher in the air for more distance for me.

I've admittedly never thrown one, but I'm highly skeptical that they'd be better than your average light Star or Champ TB. I'll try one out when I get the chance, but I seriously doubt that this Starlite stuff is anything more than a marketing gimmick when it comes to 150 class discs that were already being made using Innova's older production methods. Just like a 175g Blizzard Dominator is no better than a Dominator without Blizzard on the label.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the old Starlite discs, like the <170 Bosses and Destroyers, not the new Roadrunners and Valkyries. They were more beefy than the "normal" weight molds.