• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird, thoughts on the plastics

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the old Starlite discs, like the <170 Bosses and Destroyers, not the new Roadrunners and Valkyries. They were more beefy than the "normal" weight molds.

Oh I see. I don't have any experience with those. So do we know that the Starlite TBs are extra stable like those discs, then?

Oh I see. I don't have any experience with those. So do we know that the Starlite TBs are extra stable like those discs, then?

I don't have a clue honestly. I'm guessing that since they're part of the current runs they aren't that way. I haven't heard anyone mention that their Roadrunners or Valks are beefier (than a non-SL version).

What are the thoughts on the AJ Star Teebirds, and Brinster Champ Teebirds?

I really like the AJ star teebird, but not so much the brinster.

The AJ has a bit more fade/stability than a regular star, and flies just as long. The brinster (more os) seemed to fade out to early for my liking which is why I ended up getting rid of them.

I would really like to put an AJ (lost one on a crazy bounce off a tree into some really thick stuff.. it was a sad day) back in my bag, but the only two I have at the moment I would like to hang on to and not throw for now. I am planning to order some more AJ Star teebirds when I have some extra cash.. They are niceee

Last edited:
For the record, both the AJ and brinster feel more stiff than regular star and champ plastic.

I've been throwing a 166g Factory 2nd Star TB. It's become my go to driver. A very versatile disc.

For the record, both the AJ and brinster feel more stiff than regular star and champ plastic.

At the store the other day, I noticed that all the new stock TBs were stiff and pretty flat. They are pretty much exactly the same as my Totems. I think current stock is just catching up with those special releases, and you'll be seeing more stiff Champ and Star TBs at stock prices.

I have a 169 Destroyer that's pretty beefy as well. The old starlite Destroyers were intentionally "stabilized". I'm guessing the "stabilizing" is the same thing they did for the CFR PDs to make them beefier. My thought is they just let them cool in the mold a little longer to keep the PLH higher.

From what I remember of the Dave D thread on the pdga forums they wanted to get wide rimmed drivers down in weight, added something to the plastic blend to accomplish it and those runs turned out insanely overstable. All of the starlite bosses I've owned had a grittiness or graininess to the plastic. I think he said that the discs shrunk in the mold a bit, effectively raising the plh I believe. No clue if that's the same "stabilization" as the starfires underwent that are for sale at the factory store. I know there were starlite bosses and destroyers, wanna think katanas too but I've never seen one in person.

I'd imagine they got away from them because they found other ways to produce them in the 160s, but it makes you wonder if they could run another batch if the demand was high enough.

I really like the AJ star teebird, but not so much the brinster.

The AJ has a bit more fade/stability than a regular star, and flies just as long. The brinster (more os) seemed to fade out to early for my liking which is why I ended up getting rid of them.

I would really like to put an AJ (lost one on a crazy bounce off a tree into some really thick stuff.. it was a sad day) back in my bag, but the only two I have at the moment I would like to hang on to and not throw for now. I am planning to order some more AJ Star teebirds when I have some extra cash.. They are niceee

Were the AJ teebirds domey like the new production runs?

I have a 168 sparkle CFR Teebird that I really like, but....
It is dark purple and really hard to find sometimes
Plus, in the winter it gets kinda stiff and slippery.

So yesterday I bought a real nice 172 star
It is pink so it should be much easier to locate.
I am hoping the added 4g in weight plus the fact that its fresh and new, will equal about the same stability.

I have recently rediscovered the Teebird. Because my shoulder is still on the mend, I've been easing off on my Nolan Ryan FH. :rolleyes: I've always been a legend in my own mind.

When I started I had a Champion Teebird and I liked it, but it was lost. No idea what weight it was. So I've been throwing my wife's 150 DX and I've been getting better BH distance than I did before the surgery. Throwing BH seems to hurt less. Now I'm going to get a few more.

Are there really any differences between plastics?

150 dx is to turn and burn for me. I would say 150 star is money. A good beat in 150 champ is nice too, but star is easy to throw and nice.

I've said it before, but I've seen even more now at the store where I shop. The newest stock of Champ Teebirds is stiff and some are board flat. They are as flat as any 11x I've ever seen, and I compared some yesterday to a whole stack of CE Teebirds which were very domey comparatively. If you like flat Champ Teebirds, you should be excited.

Innova's doing it right with the Teebirds these days.

I've said it before, but I've seen even more now at the store where I shop. The newest stock of Champ Teebirds is stiff and some are board flat. They are as flat as any 11x I've ever seen, and I compared some yesterday to a whole stack of CE Teebirds which were very domey comparatively. If you like flat Champ Teebirds, you should be excited.

Innova's doing it right with the Teebirds these days.

These words probably haven't been spoken in years...
Is this at Glide in Madison you're seeing these?

Last edited:
These words probably haven't been spoken in years...
Is this at Glide in Madison you're seeing these?

Yes it's at Glide. I always look at the Teebirds every time I go there, looking to see when the stock catches up with some of the other molds that have been coming out in better Champ plastic (FBs, Beasts, Terns, Roc3s, and now Sidewinders and TBs).

There are several there that are board flat and stiff. I haven't picked one up yet, but will soon. I expect them to break in very nicely.

These newer Champ TBs are right up my alley; they're just what I look for in a TB. I expect the to be a lot like my flat Totem, which is becoming nice and grippy and is a great compliment to my Star TBs.

I'll second the vote for star as a premium replacement, a lot of the recent star teebirds I've seen lately have been super domey though. Makes me cry a little on the inside.
I have a Star Teebird that is pretty domey and it has become my go-to driver (along with my Saint). It always flies super straight and then has a moderate fade, old reliable. I have even messed up several shots recently because I keep wanting it to hook back in but the TB just goes on a zipline wherever you release it. I don't have any experience with other Teebirds so I can't say much else about this mold. My TB is finally getting chunked up a little bit so I wonder how its stability will hold up.

I got 2 StarLite Teebirds @150g in today, as well as a 155g Champ Teebird.

The StarLite at 150g doesn't have a lot of the signature bubble marks in the rim and feels soft/gummy like my Route 66 Star Teebird. I can only imagine 130's will have more texture to the rim and feel even softer, but I wasn't willing to go that low.

My throws with them made it very clear: they fly like Teebirds should. Straight then fade for me @ about 330', and just as straight for my buddy who throws farther and turns his 11x pretty easily. Great stability on these. No difference in PLH or dome between the StarLite and Champ and much higher PLH than the DX I have, much lower than my flat CFR Metal Flakes. They're juuuuust right! :)

As for durability, my buddy - I think he expected to turn it over so his drive landed way left of target on a cement... pad? idk why it's there actually, pretty much a parking lot. Average scuff on the disc, same as any Star plastic would get in that situation, no immediate change in flight. Good stuff. :thmbup:

The max wt DX Teebirds I've had have been hyzerflip discs out of the box. These StarLite were goin dead straight on a flat release and breaking out of an anhyzer for me. I'm really happy with them! I'll probably save them for the dead of winter when nothing flies as far or glides as well, or I might bag one right away... decisions!

For now I went with a 165g Star Teebird. And I got another 150 DX. In fact they both just arrived this afternoon. Unfortunately the Star is quite domey, but we'll see how it flies this evening.

I also went thru all the discs I have in boxes in the garage and the basement and came across a 170g Champ Teebird. So yesterday I played a casual solo round. There was a stiff headwind at the first tee. Naturally I took out my Z Flick to fight the wind. And fight it it did, for awhile anyway. But once the wind got under the wing it went a long way. The WRONG way. So since I was solo and there wasn't anyone behind me I broke out that Champ Teebird. Held the line like I knew what I was doing and parked it. Too bad because I always score my first throw, I bogeyed. :wall:

Thanks for all the advice.

Latest posts